Sage 2 or Techno - Help me decide

I really want a ti framelock and I can't decide between these two.

Unfortunately I have not had the chance to hold either of them as there are no dealers in my area so I order all of my knives online.

Anyone have both that could give me their thoughts?

First off, I do not own the Techno. The Techno is smallish, so I would go with the Sage 2. Also, I do not see the point of a small knife having such a thick blade at the spine and being "overbuilt" in general, and do not get the blue backspacer. Spyderco shines imo because they make "slicers." Their thinner knives cut better, and are well built enough to do any knife chore you can throw at it. The whole built like a tank thing is a fad that Spyderco has mostly avoided, but not with this one. I absolutely love the Sage 2, the attention to details and fit and finish is amazing. It is a properly sized knife and feels awesome in hand whether choked up on the choil or not. The only advantage the Techno has may be the blade steel. If I recall correctly though, XHP is not on par with S90V, 20CP, M390, or 204P in terms of edge retention, so probably a little better but not worlds better, and probably does not warrant the extra $40. They did get the clip right on both knives however. Another very small detail I just noticed is the spyder hold on the lockbar side is about half-way covered by the lockbar, which may make middle finger flicking very hard to do, that is how I prefer to open my Spyderco's.

Here is the details about the blade steel:

Category 4

ZDP-189 (65)
CPM-154 (62)
ELMAX (60)
CTS-XHP (Military) (60+)
Super Blue (61.5)

Category 5

S30V (60)
VG-1
CPM - D2 (62)
N690
ATS-34 (59)
CPM-S35VN (59)
N680
ELMAX (58.5) Mule

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...based-on-Edge-Retention-cutting-5-8-quot-rope

Keep in mind that the techno, while very stout, is a VERY small knife...like almost dragonfly small, but without the choil that makes the dragonfly's size manageable. The techno is a small knife with a thick blade that feels like a small knife. The sage 2 is a small-ish knife that feels like a much larger knife.

Well I thought about it all day and decided to order the Sage 2.

I usually carry a nice sized knife (usually a Para 2) in the back right pocket and i use a small folder (G10 Dragonfly) as a suspension clip for my keys in the front left. After thinking about it the Techno just doesn't fit my set up. It is too small to be my large knife and it doesn't have a lanyard hole to attach to my keys so it can't be my small knife.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I really appreciate it. :)

Don't bash the Techno's slicing capabilities ;) . It is as thin behind the edge as a Paramilitary 2. Slicing cardboard, I can not even tell a difference doing side by side comparisons.

Don't bash the Techno's slicing capabilities ;) . It is as thin behind the edge as a Paramilitary 2. Slicing cardboard, I can not even tell a difference doing side by side comparisons.

Exactly. Spine thickness doesn't mean much when the grind is lean. Unless you're cutting something like apples all day. Haha

Well I just realized that I was wrong and that the techno does have a lanyard hole. I guess I have a reason to buy it now!

The Sage 2 and Techno can be my "dress knives" lol.

I have both. Of course. :) I would go with the Sage 2. Its just a little more ergonomic, and a little easier to open. And about $30 - $40 less spendy than the Techno. The Techno is cool, and being so stout (for its length) its almost a novelty to me. And you could do worse than owning nothing but the Techno. But if choosing just one (egads) I would definitely go with the Sage 2 over the Techno for EDC. Just my view.

IMG_1916.jpg

Sage 2. I just can't see how the Techno is comfortable to hold or control, especially if you're used to the usual Spyderco ergos.

Sorry in advance for a useless answer, but get both!! I have my eyes on both knives at the moment. Guess you could say I'm in the mood for titanium frame locks with Spyderholes. Anyway, regardless of which ever you choose, you'll be happy. Spyderco's Taiwanese F&F is ridiculous (the good ridiculous).

Happy hunting!

I have both. Of course. :) I would go with the Sage 2. Its just a little more ergonomic, and a little easier to open. And about $30 - $40 less spendy than the Techno. The Techno is cool, and being so stout (for its length) its almost a novelty to me. And you could do worse than owning nothing but the Techno. But if choosing just one (egads) I would definitely go with the Sage 2 over the Techno for EDC. Just my view.

IMG_1916.jpg
Powernoodle. Stop posting pictures of the Sage 2 :D. Now I will have to buy one. By the way, the Techno is very comfortable, as long as you expect a smaller knife.

I would have also gone with the sage 2. Same good build quality, excellent slicer, comfortable in hand and smooth, solid action.

The Chris Reeves "Sebenza" is generally accepted to be the best production folding knife in the world, the one all other folding knives are judged against.
I only mention this because the Spyderco Sage 2 is, in my humble opinion, a Spyderco-ized, and improved version of the Sebenza, providing everything the Sebenza does, but with far superior handle ergonomics. At 1/4 the price of a Sebenza.

More pictures!

photo20_zpse92c32df.jpg

Here's mine, bought it off of a member here on BF. Great knife, one of my favorites. Silky smooth opening too.

I prefer the Techno. Had 2 Sage 2s, both are gone (mostly because I prefer the Sage 1 over it) while the Techno is staying. The Techno is smaller, but edge length isn't much shorter. Grip is good on both, ergos are a bit better on the Sage.
Both slice well, but when I want a slightly larger slicing knife I carry a ZDP Caly 3.5, CF Stretch, Southard or PM2.

The Techno is also "cute" and will get you much fewer :eek: looks than a Sage (at least for me)
Cute:

Last edited:
I keep telling myself that i dont NEED a Sage 2 but everytime I see a pic of it, I want to get one.

Back