1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Sage 2 or Techno - Help me decide

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Hobo with a Rolex, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Brock O Lee

Brock O Lee

Jun 29, 2011
    Sage 2 !

Longer blade + thinner stock = better slicer

[​IMG]

2. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Techno!

3. TheModernNeanderthal

TheModernNeanderthal Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2011
    Another vote for the Techno, I've had both and the Techno has so much more character

4. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Sage 2 > Techno. The Techno is much cooler, but the Sage is more useful. The Techno is a fun little brick that never leaves the drawer, for me, outside of playing with it. I'm not a fan of finger choils usually, but on small knives they're great for making a big handle out of a small one, and Spyderco has a pile of models that use this to great advantage. The Techno, on the other hand, has kind of a stout-but-too-short feel about it, handle-wise.

5. flipe8

flipe8

Oct 24, 2005
    Techno for me. When I had my Sage2, I compared it to my Small Sebenza and thought of it as a lower-priced/lower quality alternative. When I bought my Techno, I sold my Small Sebenza.

There's just something about the Techno that makes sense to me.

6. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33

Jul 26, 2012
    Get the Sage 1 and the Techno and you wont regret it. I went with the Techno because I had the Sage 1 already, and it came stonewashed already, which I much prefer over plain titanium

7. Hawk45

Hawk45 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 28, 2005
    I had a Sage 2 and found it took up too much pocket space. Now I have a Techno and love it. It's still a little bulldog, but doesen't feel as bulky as the Sage2 did. Neither are as easy a carry as my Mini-grip and BM 940 though. But you have to have some variety.

8. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    I have both plus a Sage 1. I've tried to love the Techno but at 6'2", 270 lbs, I'm just too big for her. She must go....

9. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Sage 2. I had both, sold Sage 2, purchased Techno. But after a while, and because the earth is round, I sold the Techno, and got the Sage 2. Having toggled, I feel the Sage 2 is much more useful as an EDC than is the Techno. For me, EDC does include cutting apples/fruit, and frankly Techno sucks at cutting apples. The Sage 2 on the other hand, is an all rounder, and is much easy to open and close due to the size. And last but not the least, a blade with a choil is much better than one without it - give you much more control.

10. A-Ro

A-Ro

Dec 19, 2013
    Wouldn't the perfect compromise be the Chaparral???

11. inkynate

inkynate

Sep 4, 2010
    Lol, was thinking the same thing all the way through this thread...

12. Swigert

Swigert

Nov 11, 2013
    I'd make this choice based in if you like a choil or not. If not go techno. If you do do the sage. Every Spydie owner needs a sage honestly. I don't feel the same about the techno.

13. Caustik

Caustik

May 5, 2013
    Love my Sage!

14. Nerfin

Nerfin

Nov 18, 2012
    I have both, and they are both great knives. I would have a hard time giving up either one . Having said that the Techno is the one that I end up taking with me for EDC. Not to say the sage 2 isn't a great knife, but it has a very hard time knocking the techno out of my pocket. The sage fits my hand better and is fantastic quality and a great blade....the techno just seems more solid and packs a lot of knife into a tiny frame. The techno is a quirky little knife, with more character and as I mentioned rock solid. The sage is ambidextrous, while the techno can be hard to open for a lefty. I just use my left middle finger (no offence intended lol!) vs my right thumb and have no issues opening the blade on the techno.

Both blades cut very well.

Hard to say which one you would like better OP, try them both out or better yet get both! Neither will disappoint.

15. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Feb 27, 2010
    I am 6'5", 240 lbs and I vote for the Techno..... :D

16. racer88

racer88

Nov 4, 2010
    For a titanium framelock, I dare suggest the newer Domino. Carbon fiber scale on one side. Gorgeous! Add in the flipper opening, and it's just SLICK! It's my new favorite Spydie.

I also own the Sage 2 (and the rest of the Sage series), and you will not be disappointed. It is a FINE knife.

I don't have a Techno, so I can't comment on it.

17. bleedingfinger

bleedingfinger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I am considering these exact models as well, love the look of the techno. At 6"5' with xxxl hands I'm worried about comfort. I do have some very small knives which are comfortable and I prefer a very small knife for my edc folder. Usually would use this for a quick job and not have it in my hand working for 15 minutes. I think I'll try the techno... Anybody with size 12+ ring fingers find the techno good hand fit?

18. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I'm 6'6" with mitts like an Orangutan and I find the Techno a bit uncomfortable. I weigh in at 195 so my fingers aren't plump and yet the cutout for the lock is too small to use to secure my index finger and with no choil there's really no good way to hold the knife securely during hard use.
    This modification would greatly improve the situation. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-Custom-techno-thread?p=13003933#post13003933
    When I was carrying it I had a knotted paracord lanyard attached and that helped quite a bit getting more grip.
    Here are a couple of shots for size reference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to keep the thread on track, I do carry a Sage 1 on a regular basis.

19. Dao.Hung_105

Dao.Hung_105

Jun 6, 2011
    I just don't like the look of the sage series. too much handle for too little blade. And the cutout on the handle of the sage still got those grind lines, which makes me wonder how can many people rave about the "fit and finish" of that knife? The techno on the other hand, it's got almost the same blade length for much smaller size, better design and finish (IMO) and the lock bar is treated, which is nice. I don't see myself abusing any knife in the future, but I've seen Sage 2s with the lock wearing too fast, and then eventually settles at about70-90%. I personally don't like a late lockup, so just ordered a Techno for myself.

20. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    It's a matter of perspective. The Sage is a perfect three inch blade to comply with common length restrictions. Instead of making a handle just big enough, Spyderco made a full size handle. The handle grind lines are just the pattern of the underlying G10. I personally have always found it attractive, much like the grind lines on many FFG blades.