1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Sage or Sage 2?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Bazillions, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Mcelroy0717

Mcelroy0717

Jan 5, 2013
    Wish I would have bought the 2 before I bought the 1. Nice knife but I almost never carry it since I got the 2.

2. knolan

knolan

Apr 23, 2013
    I tend to agree also owning both...having said that, they're both great knives, both readily available and fantastic bargains at todays street prices, especially the Sage 2 hovering around $140 at a couple of popular online sites making it hard to pass by. And as someone already mentioned, if you like smallish' yet robust folders, the Techno is also available at good street prices and has pushed everything else out of my pocket since I got it.

3. Bazillions

Bazillions

Jan 17, 2013
    My Techno always finds its way back to my pocket. I just wish I could find a custom scale for it.
    But it looks like the Sage 2 will be next.

4. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I have the Sage 1 and think it s one of the best edc s Spyderco makes.. Possibly more durable than the Sage 2 because of the steel liner lock as mentioned above. Light and strong as a user. Owning a Bradley Alias 1, I don t feel the need for another value alternative to the Sebenza.

5. racer88

racer88

Nov 4, 2010
    I've got all four, and I agree. The Sage 3 just doesn't do much for me. I don't care for the smurf-blue nor the "bolt" lock. But, I've got one. The Sage 4 is gorgeous. Between the Sage 1 and 2.... it's a toss-up. They're both very, very nice.

6. 500lbman

500lbman

May 5, 2013
    I have a Sage 1 - it is absolutely awesome. The execution of the liner lock is top notch, and the carbon fiber overlay will never show any wear. The Ti in the Sage 2 will show wear. Also, I have yet to confirm this, but I hear the Sage 1 is a little bit thicker and fills the hand a little better. Can't lose with either one I imagine.

7. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    Sage I is about 4/100th (or a hair over 1/32nd) of an inch thicker than the Sage II. IMHO, any sensation of it being more "hand filling" would be psychosomatic, but I guess there may be some folks who'd consider that small a difference a big deal.

8. Bazillions

Bazillions

Jan 17, 2013
    So I've had my Sage 2 for a week or so. My only complaint is that it becomes slippery in sweaty hands. I love everything else about it, however even with the way it melts in the hand I'm afraid the Ti is gonna slip. I'm happy for now, but sooner or later I'll pick up the Sage 1 and complete my set.

9. cujobob

cujobob

Jun 19, 2013
    Smooth titanium will unfortunately have that as a drawback but it feels nice, looks great and can be cleaned up fairly easily.

10. Bazillions

Bazillions

Jan 17, 2013
    Comparing it to my other Ti folders, the finish and spacer of the Techno and the CF scale and jimped choil insert of the Domino adds great traction. The Sage 2 is in my EDC rotation but now I have an itch for the Sage 1.

11. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Sage 1.5
    I may do an acid etch on the stainless liner to blend it with the ti lock side. Undecided right now though.

[​IMG]

12. mycough

mycough

May 20, 2007
    Looks sharp Barman! Russ

13. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I like it but it seems my new Chokwe has bumped the Sage from my pocket for a while though.

14. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Sage 1! One of Spyderco's best.

15. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    I prefer the Sage 1 to Sage 2

16. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I love the Sage 2, and the Sage 1 is near the top of my Amazon wish list.

If you can handle Nutnfancy, check out below his Youtube take on the Sage series.

[​IMG]
    Sage 2.

[youtube]9K6O4ipjRLw[/youtube]

17. Slatts

Slatts

Feb 16, 2005
    I have gone through many Spyderco models in my collecting days and ended up carrying the Sage 1 and 3 above all others. I think I would like sage 2 the best but I've just not yet had the opportunity to own one.

18. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    The more titanium, the more better.

[​IMG]

19. kwick72

kwick72 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2013
    I like all the the sage's in the series I could't pick a favorite I only have the sage 2 and its great I plan to get all of them and try them all for myself.

20. mrjefe2u

mrjefe2u

Oct 19, 2010
    The Sage 2 or Cali 3.5 are in my pocket everyday and I have a lot to pick from.