Saint George goes to Las Vegas

FANTASTIC folder, beautiful engraving, like the theme.

Kind regards,

Jos

David Riccardo has AWESOME design and engraving skills and I love what he did on the knife.

I do agree with STeven about the blade however. The transition line looks terrible and it looks like the patterned steel (which is assumed to be softer) goes right to the edge in one place?

LOVE the engraving though!

Peter

The edge is stelite, so technically that is softer than the jacket material, which is all blade quality stainless...

It doesn't bother me to have a post like yours , sir. Not everything does it for everyone, no one needs anything in this forum so there is a certain level of emotion attached to everything here. I just find it a shame that every time I post in this forum, there is one person that alway speaks negatively to the laminate materials that I use....

For all the kind words, thank you gents!

Les

Last edited:
Les, you shouldn't let it bother you...you seem to be doing just fine.

So long as the not entirely positive comments are politely made, just take them as opinion and carry on. If peeps get mean, they get squared away pretty quick, despite this forum's lack of moderator involvement.

One of the great values of this forum that I have yet to see in the other forums, is critical thinking applied to finished knives, and that's good for everyone, so long as it doesn't spiral into negativity.

I find your design talent inspiring, and dig images of your knives. I would be very pleased to see more of your involvement in this forum.

I think what your getting is that it is considered a flaw when a temper line or a lamination line touch or come very close to a cutting edge

Maybe not so much when dealing with lamination lines but please don't be offended when people offer constructive criticism

Great engraving :)

I think that the operative word here is Stellite.....how many times has anyone seen it laminated, let alone with stainless Damascus? My edc blades are either Stellite or cast Colbalt and, IMHO, makes for a viable blade and smacks of the exotic....something different and out-of-the-box, kinda like Les. ;)

I give Chad kudos for even pulling this thing off, no matter where the weld line ends up.... :)

I remember Steve Schwazer beating on a piece of Stellite trying to forge a blade and I seem to remember it took several days to draw the stock out and finally got to grind it....only made one, ever. Grinding it is one thing, forging/welding it, especially to a dis-similar ferrous metal is a completely different animal to my notion.

I know that Chad worked a looooong time and ruined a lot of material figuring it out, same as his Mokuti....a small fortune. Neat stuff to my notion and this just makes me want to remind Chad he was gonna make me some. :D

Last edited:
The edge is stelite, so technically that is softer than the jacket material, which is all blade quality stainless...

It doesn't bother me to have a post like yours , sir. Not everything does it for everyone, no one needs anything in this forum so there is a certain level of emotion attached to everything here. I just find it a shame that every time I post in this forum, there is one person that alway speaks negatively to the laminate materials that I use....

For all the kind words, thank you gents!

Les

Apparently it DOES bother you or why post about it? Actually there are TWO people that think the transition line doesn't look so good.

But those are merely opinions...NOT a personal insult to your knife. The engraving is exceptional!

Regards,
Peter

sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk in so many aspects, great job.

I didn't even think Stellite could be welded to a carbon based steel! A feat in itself!

Apparently it DOES bother you or why post about it? Actually there are TWO people that think the transition line doesn't look so good.

But those are merely opinions...NOT a personal insult to your knife. The engraving is exceptional!

Regards,
Peter

Sir, I apologize if I was unclear. I appreciated your response, because you gave the good with the bad, the all negative post I did not care for.

I replied to you specifically so I could clarify the materials assumption you made. I was not insulted or bothered by your opinions, again I apologize. :)

Hang in there my bomb-brother.......... This can be a tuff bunch, but you know what they say about "Opinions"..........Everybody has one.

Nice looking package by the way.

Robert

Hey Robert! Good to see ya! :)

It's not that I can't take a tough crown, it's just I am becoming more and more disheartened as common courtesy among men has seemingly gone the way of common sense in the world.

Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age? ;)

Hi.

I am not nearly knowledgeble enough to understand all that was involved in making this knife, but can you explain the purpose of having a core which is exposed at the edge and which is softer than the outer clad?

Thanks!!!

Stellite is not very hard, but it's very abrasive resistant as well as being virtually corrosion proof. As I understand the chemistry it's cobalt based as opposed to being iron based like steel is.

It's a specialized material, not suitable for every use, but if you wanted to say, cut card board. Your arm would give up before the edge did.

My wife has a stellite knife that she uses in the kitchen, according to her it doesn't stay supper sharp very long, but it stays "good and sharp" for a very long time.

I used it in this piece for visual contrast, the process of etching the Damascus to show the pattern has no effect on it so it stays bright.

Contrast to this blade where the edge is 3v (also by Chad Nichols), this edge should be about 47% tougher than woodpecker lips.

IMG_0966_zps5c601756.jpg

Pardon the dirty blade...

It's truley a thing of beauty. A welcome addition to any collection!

Steve
-----------
Potomac Forge
W.F. Moran Jr. Museum & Foundation

I think its an all around ridiculous piece.....and I mean that in the most flattering way possible. I love innovative techniques and this knife has several. Just a great effort, and an excellent knife to have on your table at a show.

I give Chad kudos for even pulling this thing off, no matter where the weld line ends up.... :)

I remember Steve Schwazer beating on a piece of Stellite trying to forge a blade and I seem to remember it took several days to draw the stock out and finally got to grind it....only made one, ever. Grinding it is one thing, forging/welding it, especially to a dis-similar ferrous metal is a completely different animal to my notion.

I know that Chad worked a looooong time and ruined a lot of material figuring it out, same as his Mokuti....a small fortune. Neat stuff to my notion and this just makes me want to remind Chad he was gonna make me some. :D
I remember going to dinner with several people at Blade Show West. Chad told us he had spent lots of money but was not successful with the 6K san mai. I described to Chad how I would do the 6K san mai. My information was based on working with Rob Simonich laminating Talonite to titanium. I encouraged Chad to keep going. We took Chad to dinner again the next day after the show and I further encouraged him to keep trying. A few months later he was selling the material and he thanked me for my help.

More than a year later Chad calls and says, in so many words, he is going to knock off Timascus™. I told him, "Do not use our patented process and don't catch yourself on fire." I seriously doubt Chad spent more time and/or money knocking off Timascus™ than we did developing it. It definitely is not worth a pity party. :rolleyes:

BTW, the material Steve Schwazer forged was Talonite (Stellite 6BH). Kit Carson finished the knife after Steve forged it.

I don't understand why anyone would so freely voice their opinion when it wasn't ask for. He didn't say tell me what you guys think. He simply stated that the knife was a long time in the making and it took a lot of hours and effort to finish it. He is obviously proud of the knife(as he should be)and gave credit where credit is due. He stuck his neck out with two difficult materials to combine and although it might not be perfect he made it work and it is to say the least AWESOME!

Words fail me, I'll have to settle for remarkable.....

I appreciate craftsmanship and style, that knife oozes both.

Thanks for the comments on the engraving, was proud to be apart of the project.
David

Thanks for the comments on the engraving, was proud to be apart of the project.
David

Good to see you on the forum David. I love the engraving that you do. GREAT body of work in Roger Bleile's book "American Engravers - The 21st Century".

Peter

Back