1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SAK Key ring

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Gary W. Graley, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    I am sure years ago I made mention of replacing the key ring on the SAK's but as I just got in a new Recruit folder, I wanted to show how much 'nicer' a smaller ring works on there. Not sure if they figured on having more things tied to it or what, but the standard ring is too large for me.

Standard Ring on the left side

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Smaller ring installed and fob attached

Recruit on the left and my ever present Executive on the right

I have an Alox Cadet coming in tomorrow, depending on which one is better I'll keep one and part with the other. But I'll also change out the keychain ring on the Cadet as well.

G2

115Italian, Ace Rimmer, jmh33 and 2 others like this.
  2. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Gary, I’ve swapped a couple of rings in the past too. But I actually put a little larger one on a Classic so I could put jut two keys on it once. But for what I use my Tinker, and other of similar size for, a smaller ring seems to work well.

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  3. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    D56A7F15-DCA1-441B-8DDB-B90712AC66D3.jpeg I have a ring loop on my MiniChamp but find myself using the pocket clip mostly. I could probably rig a thin safety lanyard.

Getting older and Gary W. Graley like this.
  4. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Where do you find the smaller rings? I think the rings on my Rambler and Minichamp are a bit too large.

5. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I put the small split rings on my SAKs too.

Ace: you can get them at fishing supply stores like Bass Pro.

6. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    It’s been a while but I think my wife picked them up from either Hobby Lobby or Michael’s
    Probably any craft store or like mentioned above at Bass Pro

G2

Ace Rimmer and Stelth like this.
  7. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    The ones I get are made for salt water fishing so they don't rust. I like the size marked #3

8. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    ...but, everyone knows that carbon rings keep a better edge...;)

just kidding and thanks for that tip! I will have to check them out too as these small ones I have are quite tight to get onto the knife!

G2

Storm 8593, Ace Rimmer and Stelth like this.
  9. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    I use the Bison Designs Circle Key Caddies which have a gate allowing the removal or addition of items. The split rings that come with a Caddie are quite large. I have an assortment split rings of different sizes so that I can use the smallest ring that fits the accessory. The moving around of tools is very fast, and you make up an assortment for your anticipated daily adventures.
    The SAK rings are stainless but hard to find in different sizes. 6FFB14B7-1DB5-4FE7-A9E8-864350EFF2B8.jpeg

10. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    CC2036FF-035B-4894-B16B-4567E0D8C621.jpeg This is what the adapter looks like.

11. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    I too replace the rings on my 84mm SAKs with smaller rings made for the Classic.

12. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Cadet arrived today, slim rascal and sharp, while I do wish it had a small blade instead of the nail file, it will do I think.

Not a lot thicker than the 550 paracord bobtail fob

G2

jmh33 and Ace Rimmer like this.
  13. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer

Jul 4, 2017
    Thanks!

Gary W. Graley and Stelth like this.
  14. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    Amen! I'd much rather have a pen blade on there.

NirreBosse and Gary W. Graley like this.
  15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Yep, I bought a pack of 8mm split rings for $2 off eBay for just this purpose.

16. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Yep, and the nail file tip is no where as well made as what comes on the Executive model which works great and used often, this one, I may try using it for a small screw driver if pressed to do so, otherwise it doesn't even scrape things well.
    G2

17. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    The Cadet nail file is useless to me. An electrician blade or an awl would be so much more useful. I've tried using the file on my nails and it doesn't even do a good job! I wind up with ragged nails and a pile of nail dust. To me it is a vestige of another time.

18. tiguy7

Jun 25, 2008
    14048394-43CD-4F64-A4C5-6A3D9ABDF29E.jpeg 5C0D975A-1E75-4359-AC74-FC1E91922C1B.jpeg I much prefer a cut file to a “sandpaper” file. The former cut in one direction only, the latter smear in both directions. I have scavenged “real” files from old knives and installed them on current models.

jmh33, redsparrow and Gary W. Graley like this.
  19. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    I might have the nail file checked for it’s Rockwell hardness and if it’s hard I might try to grind it into a pen blade
    G2

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    NirreBosse and Getting older like this.
  20. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    Plz keep us informed