SAK - some other handle material

Hi, guys

Is there an online dealer where I can find a SAK with some different scales, like micarta, stag, or something else ?

Thanks,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

I've never seen SAKs with different scale options, but it isn't that hard to replace them yourself. The old ones pop right off and new ones are pretty easy to make. I put some nice birch scales on my SAK just last week.

I've thought about having some G10 scales made for mine; those red plastic handles scratch so easily.

ElectricZombie said:
I've thought about having some G10 scales made for mine; those red plastic handles scratch so easily.
How about putting some red G10 on there to make it look identical to the factory scales except be a hell of a lot tougher? That sounds like an awesome idea I thought of after reading your post.

Hmm... future project, I think so... ;)

I know that red G10 exists, I've just never seen it sold anywhere.

What would be really cool is if you could come up with a way to remove the Victorinox shield from the plastic handles and put it on a set of black G10 scales. That would be a sweet SAK; I might have to try that.

Red linen micarta works just fine. Grab a dremel tool and have at it!!!

micsak3.jpg

micsak4.jpg

i have seen some SAK's with exotic handle material for sale on internet (nice dealer, i did business with them more than once)
here is a pick:
go to "http://www.gatherwood.nl/knifeshop" , then scroll down till you see the name and logo of victorinox (and klick on it offcourse :D ) then go to the second page and there (all the way on top) you will see the knives

They come in different handle materials, but i do not know if they are customized by the owners of the shop or by victorinox themselves

Greetz, Davy

I've put custom handles on many Victorinox knives. I use exotic woods, pearl, carbon fiber, bone and horn. Drop me an email and I may have something you like on hand.

Thanks!
ScottK

Last edited:
I think Boker still makes a "scout" knife (SAK type) with stag handles. I'm sure it would be much pricier than your standard Victorinox or Wenger, though.

Case makes a coupla models of S.A.K. style knives you might want to consider.
The Camper Knife c/w pliers $29.00
The Scout Knife 24.00
I was just scanning the Cumberland site as was interested myself......just wish I could see them in person .

Kap

I´ve seen SAKs factory handled in stag, wood, stainless steel, and of course aluminum as in the Pioneer series. A Google search didn´t bring out any though.

Hello,
Just completed rehandleing a uses Spartan with Cocobolo handles and Carbon Fiber Bolsters (taking a design hint from the Benchmade 690). Let me know how you like this combination.

Stay Sharp,
Scott

ScottK said:
Hello,
Just completed rehandleing a uses Spartan with Cocobolo handles and Carbon Fiber Bolsters (taking a design hint from the Benchmade 690). Let me know how you like this combination.

Stay Sharp,
Scott

Outstanding work! How much would you charge to do all CF or G10?

Uhhhhh! This thread is just too cool for words. I wish you guys would put some of that nice work up for sale - knife and all! :eek:

I have a question for Scott: Do you cut grooves/slots for the toothpick and tweezers before you attach the new handle materials?

Great looking work

Thanks for all of the kind comments. I do cut the grooves for the toothpick & tweezers before I attach the handles, it's tough to do otherwise. I will do the custom handle work for you and either supply the knife or re-handle yours.

Just finished re-handling a Vic camper with a new material, this one is in ocean aquamarine inlace. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Cheers!
Scott

Last edited:
Back