SAK - Victorinox Tinker

This thread caused me to go out to the garage, sore back and all, and dig out my gardening 84mm Tinker. It was purchased in the early '90s, I think '91. There is no sewing eye. There is a can key slot on the phillips.

I may be wrong but I've always figured that the huge manufacturers made large quantities of blades, tools, liners, etc. and then used them until they ran out. Any new ideas would then be incorporated in the next batch. So if Victorinox made up 10,000 awls in February of 1989 and then decided in April '89 that sewing eyes would be a good idea, they would wait until the 10,000 awls were gone and then make up some of the improved models. So different parts on the same finished knife may be manufactured several years apart.

What about the corkscrews? When did they stop having the little groove or casting mark on the side?

Originally posted by Frank
This thread caused me to go out to the garage, sore back and all, and dig out my gardening 84mm Tinker. It was purchased in the early '90s, I think '91. There is no sewing eye. There is a can key slot on the phillips.
<snip>
What about the corkscrews? When did they stop having the little groove or casting mark on the side?

troublemaker - are you sure it's a pain in the back? :D :p

Now you have me running around and checking my Vic SAKs about the corkscrew:

Bought - Model - Groove Y/N
Jan/82 - budget Waiter - N
Jan/84 - Champion - Y
Dec/88 - SwissChamp - Y
Oct/89 - Scientist - Y
91(?) - Scientist* - Y
(?) - 1991 100 Year SAK - Y
(?) - Yeoman - Y**
92 - Scientist***, SwissChamp - N
94(?) - Economy Huntsman, Waiter - N
Dec/96 - WorkChamp - Y
97 - 1997 100 Year SAKs - N

It would seeem as though the corkscrew may have started withOUT the groove - as in my early budget Waiter (bought Jan/82) seems to indicate. The earliest Vic that I have the grooved corkscrew on is the Champion bought Jan/84.

1991 around when the straight Pin was introduced into the handle - the Scientist* that had a grooved corkscrew (my custom EDC) did not have a pin. The 100th year SAK marked 1991 did have the grooved corkscrew - but probably was made pre-1991 for sale in that year.

The Yeoman(s) I have pose a bit of a puzzle - I can't recall when I bought these - but they were at closeout prices - so probably the end of the US import period - it's hard to see a groove - but using the finger nails one can feel a groove** - these have the straight Pin (so post-1991).

The 92 Scientist*** and SwissChamp were both with the Pin (and corkscrew without groove).

1994 when the Economy line of SAKs were introduced - my Economy Huntsman and Waiter models did not thave the groove....

Now, you're going to hate this -
the WorkChamp - bought Dec/1996 has the groove in its corkscrew - and the pliers have the crimper in the handles (so that's post-1995) - whereas the 1997 100th Year SAKs (SwissChamp and Standard/Spartan) probably made in 1996 for sale the next year - do not have the groove.

I now have a pain in the......:D :D :p

Originally posted by Tango Sierra
You guys have too much time on your hands.

yeah, you're right......

...but it's kinda like the guy at the psychiatrist who's shown the ink blot tests, and to everyone he said some sexual act....
so the psychiatrist exclaimed: "you're sex mad!"
to which the man retorted: "and who's showing me the dirty pictures?"

I'm afraid there's no cure for being a SAKnut. :D

Since people have time on hand to read through all this -
any observations on the Tinker that's been missed?

For example when did the 84mm Tinker gain the eye in the punch? What's the earliest example you know of?

Vincent,

I'm enjoying your posts about Swiss Army Knives but I can't contribute much. I didn't even know the names of the few I've had until reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

One comment about my former Tinker is when I tried to use it to install some shade brackets at my mother's apartment, it was difficult to do with the phillips head extending out the side of the knife instead of the end of it. I realize that this keeps the knife narrow.

Even with the few faults I've mentioned, it was pretty handy little devil. I may have to get one again for when I don't want to carry the Leatherman on my belt. Is there another model of the same size that you feel is more useful as an EDC.

"SAKnut".... Sounds like some kind of squirrel, which makes sense considering the way you keep hoarding these things. :)

One comment about my former Tinker is when I tried to use it to install some shade brackets at my mother's apartment, it was difficult to do with the phillips head extending out the side of the knife instead of the end of it. I realize that this keeps the knife narrow.
<snip>
"SAKnut".... Sounds like some kind of squirrel, which makes sense considering the way you keep hoarding these things. :)

Thanks - that was useful input -
most Vic SAKs with Phillips are the corkscrew replacement -
and that is exactly the problem sometimes,
because it has to be used as a sort of T-handled driver -
thus restricting its accessibility.

That's one of the main reasons my EDC had to have the Phillips driver in the handle main compartment -
(that also retained the corkscrew - which was important for me (hic!:D))

The Vic Phillips in the handle was deliberately designed with a squared tang to allow it to be used at 90degs (right-angle) to the handle to get more torque, and straight in-line for better access/reach.

There are only a few Vic SAKs that have this in handle Phillips (and it seems to be paired with the magnifying glass) -
the only current US imported models are:

SwissChamp
Explorer

Imported, but discontinued models:

Scientist (my EDC)
Yeoman

and I think that was it........

SAKnut - it is - as it also sounds kinda rude too :D :D :p

Originally posted by UnknownVT

Bought - Model - Groove Y/N
Jan/82 - budget Waiter - N
Dec/96 - WorkChamp - Y
1994 when the Economy line of SAKs were introduced - my Economy Huntsman and Waiter models did not thave the groove....

Now, you're going to hate this -
the WorkChamp - bought Dec/1996 has the groove in its corkscrew -
Very odd. I was going to suggest that the 84mm and 111mm models may have used slightly different corkscrews but that Huntsman discounts my theory. I don't have any 84s with corkscrews so I can't check, and my only 111, an Equestian, without the groove, was bought used so I can only guess at the date. My oldest SAK, a Huntsman, with a bail and small clip blade, has a pronounced groove. Your Waiter is a stumper.

Anybody know if the groove has a purpose? I've just figured it was a casting mark but I read or heard someone say that it was to keep the cork from sticking.

Well, I checked the Vic web site to look at the Swiss Champ and the Explorer and thought the Explorer would be the better choice for me. I went over to Wal-Mart tonight to see if the width of the Explorer would be to my liking. They don't carry it anymore so I looked at the Signature II lite but left the store instead with a Leatherman Micra which is smaller than a Tinker.

The Micra has:
scissors (larger than the SAK)
small knife blade
medium screwdriver
nail file/finger nail cleaner
tweezers
cap lifter/miniture screwdriver
phillips blade (even though it don't look like one)
lanyard ring.
size: 3/8" thick, 3/4"wide, 2-1/2" long.

I also tried looking for a Scientist on Ebay but had no luck.

Is the Explorer much thicker than the Tinker?

Is the Explorer much thicker than the Tinker?

Yes, by quite a bit.

The Tinker is 2 backsprings wide,
and the Explorer is 4 backsprings wide
and one of those backsprings is wider than normal.

The Yeoman (another discontinued model) used the Combo tool and had basically all the main functions of the Explorer - but with one backspring less.

Vic Yeoman
fc6e2d3a.jpg

Explorer
53791_l.jpg

I see the Yeoman still listed at a few places (use froogle.com), and discountknives.com still has it listed -

However here's a warning from APS
Quote:
Oh, yeah. As a warning to anyone trying to pick up a BSA Victorinox Yeoman (b/c the standard Yeoman is impossible to find), Victorinox is substituting the BSA Explorer in the BSA Yeoman marked box. Make sure you have the retailer check the knife in the box first.
Unquote

Originally posted by Frank
Anybody know if the groove has a purpose? I've just figured it was a casting mark but I read or heard someone say that it was to keep the cork from sticking.

I recall reading this - but can't now find the reference -
the groove in the corkscrew is supposed to help prevent corks from breaking/cracking/crumbling.

Back