Sal Glesser's Chris Reeve "Lock 45"

A few weeks back, in this thread, someone asked if there was a Spyderco which could compete with the Sebenza. Sal eventually chimed in. His post was primarily a response to someone's skepticism regarding the origins of the framelock. He noted that he had, in his personal collection, a Chris Reeve knife with an earlier lock of Chris' called the "Lock 45". He further noted that it dated back to the 1970's and was the predecessor of the Reeve Integral Lock. That lead to someone asking what it looked like, at which point he suggested sending it to me to be photographed. He also noted in a later post that it was a small knife. It arrived a couple days ago and he wasn't kidding about its size. For the benefit of those who like "dimensional data" it weighs 1.375 ounces (40 grams) has a closed length of 2 13/16" (71 mm), a blade length of 2 7/32" (57mm) with a 2 1/16" (52mm) cutting edge, and is 5/16" (8mm) thick. For those who find photographic comparisons easier to visualize, the first photo below shows it with a Kiwi and my LH Mnandi.

Beyond that, it's an intriguing design. The action is glassy smooth and the lock up is rock solid despite the fact that the blade is only supported from one side. The small thumb stud and smooth handle, thin on the off side, make it difficult to open, but might be less of a problem for someone right handed and with better motor skills. No clip, that was probably not even a gleam in Sal's eye yet. I'm assuming the handle is titanium anodized to a bronze hue but that, and any other questions regarding it would best be answered by Sal, or someone intimately familiar with Chris Reeve's early knives.

crk_lock45_compare.jpg

Closed, "front" side:
crk_lock45_01.jpg

Closed, lock side:
crk_lock45_03.jpg

close up, to show one of the two ball bearings:

crk_lock45_04.jpg

The balls do not serve as detents, just to smooth the action. Only friction holds the blade closed.

Another close up, note the angled locking surfaces on the blade...

crk_lock45_20.jpg

Lock side view, half open. You can almost see the lower ball bearing:

crk_lock45_46.jpg

Top view, almost fully open:

crk_lock45_05.jpg

Fully open, lock side:

crk_lock45_43.jpg

Finally, the design does have one peculiarity, you can fold the blade in the wrong direction, at least until the thumb stud makes contact with the frame...

crk_lock45_47.jpg

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

crk_lock45_39.jpg

crk_lock45_38.jpg

crk_lock45_33.jpg

crk_lock45_36.jpg

crk_lock45_41.jpg

crk_lock45_42.jpg

crk_lock45_44.jpg

crk_lock45_45.jpg

crk_lock45_15.jpg

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

Thank you!
Thank you!!
Thank you!!!!

Those are some fantastic photos of an amazing and historic knife.

We're looking at the origin of the integral lock right here.

Thanks Sal and Paul :thumbup:

:thumbup:Great piece of history there.

Last edited:
Wow. That is a collector's dream knife, right there. I wonder what other little gems Sal might have squirreled away in his personal collection? The mind boggles.

Thanks to both you and Sal for showing us that one. I had not heard of it before. I mean I figured Chris did other things before the spotlight but you never hear much on those do you?

That looks like a wonderful carry knife being that thin and small. :thumbup:

STR

That is a thing of beauty. I love the way that lock works. Really cool.

Thanks for sharing to both Sal and Paul!

Alright, Sal, why is that not been made into a production model? I would definitely buy one.

Back