Salt 1 or Delica

EagleIH

Gold Member
Basic Member
My apologies if this has been discussed several times already, but I wanted some educated thoughts on the Salt 1 vs Delica. I plan to purchase one or the other, but have nowhere locally to compare. I really like the blade shape of the Salt, but didn't know if it was significantly weaker because of the lack of liners. Pros and cons of each would be helpful. Thanks.

gastonian

Gold Member
^^ This

I bought a FSE Salt 1 a few weeks ago and I am loving it. I also have a Delica 4 and the Salt actually opens smoother and locks up tighter than the Delica! The salt is also a little lighter as well.

If you are only looking for an EDC knife then I suggest you get a Delica, if you plan on spending a lot of time around water then I suggest the Salt. I carry a Delica FFG everyday and it excels at the tasks I use it for.

Fred Sanford

Gold Member
The Salt is not weaker due to lack of liners. It's a dang strong knife for what it is. The Salt will have a saber ground blade which will make it a worse slicer. The Delica will have a full flat ground blade which will make it an excellent slicer. If you are only going to be around salt water every now and then, get the Delica as VG-10 is better steel and holds an edge longer than H1. If you will be around salt water all the time then go with a Salt. The serrated Salts will hold an edge longer than the plain edge models but I don't like a serrated edge as much as a plain edge. Just personal preference.

Both are outstanding knives. I do like how I can anodize the titanium clips on the Salts easily with 9v batteries or a bit of heat from a torch.

Enjoy what you get. :)

I have both and I prefer the salt. The only areas where the Delica wins is if you want ffg or a little better edge retention (in plain edge only!). The list of areas where the salt wins is (IMO) much longer.

EagleIH

Gold Member
Basic Member
I'm rarely ever around salt water, but the Salt blade shape really appeals to me for some reason. I am in Tennessee, and the summers are hot and humid. The corrosion resistance appeals to me, also.

People keep saying "if you're going to be around salt water a lot, get the salt" but what they don't realize is that its also perfect for IWB carry, as I know my sweat is highly corrosive to even super steels. Also, do you live in an area of high humidity? New England is pure hell on edc's; in summer its crazy humid, and in winter you're so bundled up that you sweat a lot. While these situations do not actually require a rust-proof alloy, but I gotta say, its nice never having to worry about your folder.

Delica will be sharper period. If you wanna cut I find vg-10 is very nice. However the salt is a value. Note the whole salt is not waterproof just the blade:) I suggest both.

colubrid

Gold Member
You can leave the salt in the dirty dishes overnight and throw them in the dishwasher the next day or two..no rust whatsoever.

IMO the whole beings around the ocean thing is not what makes the salt series a better knife.. just everyday use and not having to worry about cleaning food and crud off you knife for a few days makes this a much better overall utility blade

DSC03986.JPG

@MrBoone
The entire salt is waterproof. Titanium clip, coated screw construction, and 2 piece frn handles. Its truly impervious. And it cuts like the dickens.

EagleIH

Gold Member
Basic Member
Any thoughts on the strength of the Salt vs the Delica would be appreciated, also. I know the Salt doesn't have liners, but didn't know if that would make it significantly weaker.

Unless your abusing the knife like prying, you wont notice a difference in strength.

Delica will be sharper period. If you wanna cut I find vg-10 is very nice. However the salt is a value. Note the whole salt is not waterproof just the blade:) I suggest both.

Hi MrBoone, welcome! Nothing personal here, but I must object to this statement. Typing "period" at the end of a sentence does not make it true. H1 will get sharper than just about any steel I own. It will take a "hanging hair whittling/breaking" refined edge with ver little work. The only steel in my collection that I can consistently get to the same level of sharpness or better is superblue. Vg10 is a wonderful steel and will hold its edge a bit longer than h1, but to claim that it will "get sharper" or "be sharper" is simply misinformation. I DO however concur with your suggestion to buy both!! :thumbup: :D

Btw, as someone already pointed out, the entire salt knife is rustproof, not just the blade. You may have been thinking of the benchmade h2o.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on the strength of the Salt vs the Delica would be appreciated, also. I know the Salt doesn't have liners, but didn't know if that would make it significantly weaker.

Hi eagle, I certainly don't think so. I own both and if anything, I feel my salts are tougher. That's probably not true and I probably only feel that way because I use them harder, but I definitely have never felt they were weaker in any way! If you like the salt then go for it. It's a helluva knife.

RayseM

Gold Member
I'm thinking that Spyderco will soon be launching a Surfingringo Salt some time soon :D. He certainly has been a persuasive advocate of the Salts. I'll be getting mine soon :thumbup: on his recommendations.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC