Salt 1 or Delica

I have never owned a Delica, but many Enduras. I do own a Salt PE and a Tasman SE. I really like the H1 steel, and really like the Salt. I was EDCing the Salt for a few month a year ago and bought it because of a week boat trip I did from SF to Seattle with family. That week I used it for many BS chores and never felt the steel was holding me back and didn't need to sharpen it during that time. I can get as Surfringo said an edge almost like my Super Blues and it is very easy. I will say the Salt is a boring knife, in that it has the old Endura handle...but it is a working knife and tough.

Last edited:
The way I look at is that any knife, regardless of the steel is going to get dull and need sharpening. The user will dictate that by the chores the knife is put through. I wanted a Salt because of it's corrosion proof. Living in the south by the gulf, it stays humid year round. I've never worried about the quality of Spyderco, once you have one in hand, you know it is a well built knife and reliable. Looking at the two side, it's a matter of preference as to which one you choose first, cause you will have both before long.

We never get tired over here in the Spyderco community of debating the merits of Salts and Delicas. If I was around salt water constantly I'd pick the Salt...otherwise the FFG grind on the Delica is my favorite. I've been submerged in water a number of times with the Delica in my pocket and the VG-10 never showed any signs of rust!

Both designs will work hard.

Last edited:
I like the no liners and large opening hole of the salt. I like the ffg and pointier tip of the Delica more. Stain resistance is a non issue to me, I just got back from a three hour bike ride with my super blue Delica clipped inside the waistband of my shorts. It came out drenched in sweat, but no corrosion problems.

I still kind of want a salt, but I just can't justify it considering ail my salt water knives have been carbon, non stainless steels with no issue.

I have an old school (pinned) serrated Salt 1. It has to be about 6-7 years old now. I work in the landscape business and this knife has seen its share of use/abuse. I've opened thousands of bags of road salt and have dug up thousands of weeds with it. The lock up is just as solid as day one. I guess I should sharpen the thing but I've never doubted its cutting ability. And yea I send it though the dishwasher every now and then. If you need to beat on a knife the Salt 1 is a true beater and it will take anything you can come up with.

I like both but favor the Salt. Plus, I like the old Delica 3/Endura 3 handles. I actually prefer them to the Delica/Endura 4 handles...I also like the volcano grip pattern more than the bi-directional pattern, though IMO both are good. The Salt handles are comfortable, and I don't find them boring. The comfort and ease of cleaning more than make up for a lack of any 'style' in comparison to some flashier knives. I own both pinned and torx-constructed Salts, and find the torx Salts have zero blade play and more solid-feeling lockup than my D4 and E4 knives.

And while the FFG Delica may slice better, the Salt 1 is 'sabre hollow ground' as opposed to the thicker flat saber grind of the original D4, and thus the Salt 1 will be a better slicer than the SG D4.

Also, I rarely go into the ocean anymore, but I still prefer my Salt knives. I find it a bit odd when some people say you should only choose a Salt if you're going into the water. H1 has other great qualities, especially in SE, besides only being rustproof.

Jim

That was a hard choice for me but I say delica because it isn't likely to rust on you and I prefer the delica tip over the bullnose

Back