Sam Tendencia and the Small Stick

Hey guys. I picked up my worn-out and tattered copy of Mark Viley's "Filipino Martial Culture"...I've read it so many times that it's falling apart haha. Anyway, one of the chapters focused on Sam Tendencia, the founder of the Tendencia Arnis-Hilot system. He was one of Dan Inosanto's many instructors and he was not only a master of Filipino martial arts, but also a master of Hilot, the Filipino healing art. One part of the chapter that caught my attention was when he was describing his days as a bouncer in Arizona. He got the job after wandering into the bar and presenting his small stick to the owner, who asked him if he could be a bouncer. During his shift at the bar, three individuals came in and refused to pay for their drinks, and a fight was about to ensue. Master Tendencia then stepped in, and, upon being attacked, he utilized a "small stick" to take out the three men.

I was curious as to what kind of "small stick" this was. It was also mentioned in the chapter that he was trained in the use of the 12 inch stick, in a subsystem he referred to as corto mano. Is this the same small stick that he had used in the fight?

I can't seem to find too many sources on Master Tendencia. I assume that in his old age, he must have passed on by now, and it seems that there aren't too many of his students around. If anyone knows anything about the system, I'd like to learn more about it as well as the "small stick" that he speaks about.

-Mike

Hey guys. I picked up my worn-out and tattered copy of Mark Viley's "Filipino Martial Culture"...I've read it so many times that it's falling apart haha. Anyway, one of the chapters focused on Sam Tendencia, the founder of the Tendencia Arnis-Hilot system. He was one of Dan Inosanto's many instructors and he was not only a master of Filipino martial arts, but also a master of Hilot, the Filipino healing art. One part of the chapter that caught my attention was when he was describing his days as a bouncer in Arizona. He got the job after wandering into the bar and presenting his small stick to the owner, who asked him if he could be a bouncer. During his shift at the bar, three individuals came in and refused to pay for their drinks, and a fight was about to ensue. Master Tendencia then stepped in, and, upon being attacked, he utilized a "small stick" to take out the three men.

I was curious as to what kind of "small stick" this was. It was also mentioned in the chapter that he was trained in the use of the 12 inch stick, in a subsystem he referred to as corto mano. Is this the same small stick that he had used in the fight?

I can't seem to find too many sources on Master Tendencia. I assume that in his old age, he must have passed on by now, and it seems that there aren't too many of his students around. If anyone knows anything about the system, I'd like to learn more about it as well as the "small stick" that he speaks about.

-Mike

Could be a 12" stick - especially if it were weighted (like a billy club) but it could also be what is referred to a "pocket stick," i.e. a length of dowel or other material that extends about an inch or so from either side of a closed fist. There's not a lot known about Sam Tendencia other than what Dan Inosanto and Mark Wiley published. I had heard on another forum that Mr. Tenencia was in poor health (stroke?) and my impression is that he has passed away. When I get a chance I'll do a search on some of the FMA forums and find the post that said that Master Tendencia was in poor health.

Best,

Steve

He referred to it as his "Koppo Stick", from his Jiu Jitsu days. The one he carried is wrapped with a thin rope grip and has a small finger loop at the end so that he can swing it, or change grips in transit. The story and name changed some over time, but back in the 70's in conversation he called it "Koppo Stick". The last time I saw Master Sam was a few years ago at a Hilot seminar given by a another well known Ilutan in southern california to which Master Sam wanted to observe. He was still his joyful self.

Matador-

He referred to it as his "Koppo Stick", from his Jiu Jitsu days. The one he carried is wrapped with a thin rope grip and has a small finger loop at the end so that he can swing it, or change grips in transit. The story and name changed some over time, but back in the 70's in conversation he called it "Koppo Stick". The last time I saw Master Sam was a few years ago at a Hilot seminar given by a another well known Ilutan in southern california to which Master Sam wanted to observe. He was still his joyful self.

Matador-

Very interesting. How long was this particular "Koppo Stick"? Was it the same length as the koppos out on the market (6-7 inches) or was it much longer...say 12 inches as I had described? The way he described it in the book was as if it was a small stick that he could swing at the collarbone, as if it were a small club or baton of some kind.

I'd love to hear more about it if anyone has anymore info. I watched footage of him in a Dog Brothers documentary "The Grandfathers Speak"...he seemed like such a happy man.

-Mike

This thread describes him in poor health, but does not say that he has passed. There are some contacts here as well:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14411&highlight=Sam+Tendencia

Interesting that his short stick has a loop at the end as described above. Koppo sticks with the loop in the middle are like pocket sticks - but his might be longer to faciliate a change in grip, etc.

Best,

Steve

The one he had on him at the time was the length of his forearm, saying the proper length is the elbow to the wrist. It slid out from his shirt sleeve like a concealed derringer. The wood I believe to be mulawin, quite heavy, much like one piece of the tsaku. He swung it like a sap, slashed it like a blade, control and nerve strikes are like that of the buntot uway. Bear in mind this was way back in the 70's and may have changed and was no doubt refined over time.

Matador-

The one he had on him at the time was the length of his forearm, saying the proper length is the elbow to the wrist. It slid out from his shirt sleeve like a concealed derringer. The wood I believe to be mulawin, quite heavy, much like one piece of the tsaku. He swung it like a sap, slashed it like a blade, control and nerve strikes are like that of the buntot uway. Bear in mind this was way back in the 70's and may have changed and was no doubt refined over time.

Matador-

Hmm really interesting stuff. It sounds like the stick he used must've been between 11-12 inches long. The reason why I ask about the small stick is because I recently purchased a 12 inch kamagong stick and I've been looking for FMA methods which focused on using a 12 inch stick. I can only assume it's based off of dagger methods, much like the way Tendencia used his small stick with blade-like slashes and sap like swings.

Cool stuff. Keep it coming guys!

Many of the Filipino old timers here in Stockton have a method very similar to that described, however they simlpy refer to the method as "batuta". The batuta being the name of the actual weapon made from cut down axe handles.

Matador-

Many of the Filipino old timers here in Stockton have a method very similar to that described, however they simlpy refer to the method as "batuta". The batuta being the name of the actual weapon made from cut down axe handles.

Matador-

Good stuff here. So, they cut down an axe handle to say, 11-12 inches, and use it as a blunt impact weapon? I assume the movements are the same as when swinging a dagger or short stick.

-Mike

Good stuff here. So, they cut down an axe handle to say, 11-12 inches, and use it as a blunt impact weapon? I assume the movements are the same as when swinging a dagger or short stick.

-Mike

Yup! Roll it up inside your Wall Street Journal and you are good to go! When you see an elderly Filipino man standing on the sidewalk with a rolled up newspaper tucked under his arm, it's best to keep walking. Angel Cabales would say, "if it is tucked under his left iluk (armpit), keep to the right!".

Matador-

Yup! Roll it up inside your Wall Street Journal and you are good to go! When you see an elderly Filipino man standing on the sidewalk with a rolled up newspaper tucked under his arm, it's best to keep walking. Angel Cabales would say, "if it is tucked under his left iluk (armpit), keep to the right!".

Matador-

Thanks Matador. I could read these stories all day :).

What kind of axe handle were they using? The large kind for larger axes, or for smaller axes like hatchets or camp axes? It sounds like those would not only make great weapons, but would be great for training forearm and grip strength.

-Mike

Thanks Matador. I could read these stories all day :).

What kind of axe handle were they using? The large kind for larger axes, or for smaller axes like hatchets or camp axes? It sounds like those would not only make great weapons, but would be great for training forearm and grip strength.

-Mike

They were usually fashioned from broken full size axe handles. Note that this originates back to the 1930's when the old timers lived in work camps and they had to chop wood as a source of fuel, so a broken axe handle was a common place. Also note that Philippine native hardwoods were not to be found readily here in the US in those days so the old timers found the axe handles of hickory to be the next best thing and it was quite a common site to see an old timer working on one in his leisure hours. They were flared at one end and tapered to the grip end, much like the kamagong anahaw style you see today. The old Dos Manos men had full size axe handles under their bunk or hung over head. Training the forearm and grip call for a special method referred to as "cesario". An example would be to sit in a chair. Take the baston and put it under your knees. Using both over hand and under hand grips try to pull the baston up until you reach fatigue. Rest then repeat.

Matador-

They were usually fashioned from broken full size axe handles. Note that this originates back to the 1930's when the old timers lived in work camps and they had to chop wood as a source of fuel, so a broken axe handle was a common place. Also note that Philippine native hardwoods were not to be found readily here in the US in those days so the old timers found the axe handles of hickory to be the next best thing and it was quite a common site to see an old timer working on one in his leisure hours. They were flared at one end and tapered to the grip end, much like the kamagong anahaw style you see today. The old Dos Manos men had full size axe handles under their bunk or hung over head. Training the forearm and grip call for a special method referred to as "cesario". An example would be to sit in a chair. Take the baston and put it under your knees. Using both over hand and under hand grips try to pull the baston up until you reach fatigue. Rest then repeat.

Matador-

Awesome. Simply awesome. Hickory is a great hardwood...dense, strong, and durable. I've been thinking about getting a hickory axe handle for developing strength in my arms as well as to train Tapado and other Dalwang Kamay (or Dos Manos) techniques.

-Mike

Just speculation but it's interesting to note that just as the 18" Serrada stick is a surrogate for a short bolo or cutlass, a 12" stick flared at one end and tapered at the other could stand in for an agricultural knife or even a specialty tool such as an aparagus knife, etc.

I speculated earlier that the loop at the end of Master Tendencia's stick might be used for grip changes but on further thought it's more likely to be just for retention purposes.

Best,

Steve

Just speculation but it's interesting to note that just as the 18" Serrada stick is a surrogate for a short bolo or cutlass, a 12" stick flared at one end and tapered at the other could stand in for an agricultural knife or even a specialty tool such as an aparagus knife, etc.

I speculated earlier that the loop at the end of Master Tendencia's stick might be used for grip changes but on further thought it's more likely to be just for retention purposes.

Best,

Steve

As demonsatrated my understanding would be for both, as well as adding a bit of extra speed. When the old timers fastened "hasu-hasu" type lanyards to their cudgels, they would loosen the grip just before striking and then flip it with the lanyard back into the strike in a snap whipping motion, ala sap. The hasu hasu is an art form unto itself, of different wraps and lengths with each having a certain purpose, and not relegated just to bludgeons. With regard to the loop on Master Sam's, the loop was just small enough to get your thumb or a couple of fingers through. Think a hangmans noose hanging about an inch down the buntot of the stick.

Matador-

As demonsatrated my understanding would be for both, as well as adding a bit of extra speed. When the old timers fastened "hasu-hasu" type lanyards to their cudgels, they would loosen the grip just before striking and then flip it with the lanyard back into the strike in a snap whipping motion, ala sap. The hasu hasu is an art form unto itself, of different wraps and lengths with each having a certain purpose, and not relegated just to bludgeons. With regard to the loop on Master Sam's, the loop was just small enough to get your thumb or a couple of fingers through. Think a hangmans noose hanging about an inch down the buntot of the stick.

Matador-

This has been a great thread so far. It's so funny that you mention the tether of rope from the bottom of the stick because I was just in Sports Authority this afternoon and they had this 18 inch hickory club with a tether tied through a hole in the bottom of the stick, much in the same manner you described. I had no idea what it was for, although it was in the outdoors section. It looked like a tire knocker used to check pressure on truck tires. I swung the club around a bit and the thing was nice and heavy. I'm sure it'd be devastating in a street scenario.

For some reason, it had no price tag on it and it was the ONLY one in the whole store. Not sure why it was there but it was a neat thing to find.

-Mike

This has been a great thread so far. It's so funny that you mention the tether of rope from the bottom of the stick because I was just in Sports Authority this afternoon and they had this 18 inch hickory club with a tether tied through a hole in the bottom of the stick, much in the same manner you described. I had no idea what it was for, although it was in the outdoors section. It looked like a tire knocker used to check pressure on truck tires. I swung the club around a bit and the thing was nice and heavy. I'm sure it'd be devastating in a street scenario.

For some reason, it had no price tag on it and it was the ONLY one in the whole store. Not sure why it was there but it was a neat thing to find.

-Mike

Might be a fish knocker. You can get similar at the bait shop. I have several! :)

Matador-

Hmm...I'd love one of those haha. Do you know where I could possibly get one. They'd be great to mix up weapons training.

-Mike

Most bait shops or hunting fishing type stores have them, at least years ago when I picked up a few here and there. They also come in fiberglass, made by Shakespere called "The Fish Billy". Go down to the docks and look at the party and commercial fishing boats. You can catch a glimpse of some vintage fish knockers hanging nearby. I've also picked up a tire knocker or two at those big interstate truck stops. They are also made of hickory and have grips lathed into them. They don't cost more than a few bucks.

Matador-

Matador, thanks for posting all this great info. I always enjoy hearing stories about the old masters in Stockton. I have a short stick made of coco bolo which I have carried at work for years. It definitely packs a wallop.

Back