Sanrenmu 7010 vs CRKT Drifter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should I spend that much money for a knife that I could use in my own home but not outside my home? I am quite willing to spend larger sums of money on knives that are legal in my community. For example I'm currently looking at the Dice and the Three Rivers LTC, and customs with blades under 2.5"

I think the point is a ripped off design is not the answer. And since clearly you are looking at some nicer knives that also fit your needs there is no need to buy the rip off.

Frankly, that dragonfly you already carry will be way way way nicer than the SRM.

Why should I spend that much money for a knife that I could use in my own home but not outside my home?

Who said you should? Nobody.

But for the same price you could get a knife that is not a ripoff of someone else's hard work. If you care. You are certainly not obliged to, but it is something many, if not most here care about.

But for over 2.5 inches, you would not pay more than $100 and would prefer to buy a....how to put it..."tribute" knife. That was pretty clear.

By all indications the "tribute knife" is a pretty nice knife. If they change the local knife law to allow longer blades, I'll buy a high quality knife in that length. Maybe a small Sebenza, maybe a Slysz Bowie. Or maybe a TiLock. Or maybe....

Okay? I don't judge people I don't know and hope you don't either.. Thanks

Maybe we need to try harder to offer some alternative knives?

OP, I recommend highly the new Kershaw Reverb. They can be had for a little over $20. They're an all original design and honestly for the low price, Kershaw really knocked this knife out of the ballpark! There's surprisingly good fit and finish for this pricepoint, and there are many well executed "details" that you typically can't find on a knife at this price.

I've been buying Olamics and CRKs and Giant Mouses...but I think I'm more excited about this new Kershaw than I've been over any knife purchase lately. I wish I had more time and I'd write up a full review of this stupid-good little knife, lol.
Kershaw-Reverb-Carabiner-CF-G-10-TT-1220-BHQ-52167-jr-large.jpg

There are so many really good options out there that there's no need to ever support a stolen design or concept!

I find it interesting that several of you don't want me to purchase the Sanrenmu 7010, but nobody has hassled my friend evilgreg who already owns one and likes it. Why is this?

I find it interesting that several of you don't want me to purchase the Sanrenmu 7010, but nobody has hassled my friend evilgreg who already owns one and likes it. Why is this?

I own a 7010 also...it may actually be so old it's a 710. The point of the matter is I wouldn't buy it or recommend it today given my understanding and appreciation of the knife industry. I think we all give evilgreg the same benefit of the doubt given that he actively purchases and supports original designs.

That's my 2 cents at least.

Furthermore, I try not to pass judgement over a person based on what knife they choose to buy. I only like to recommend what I consider to be better choices on many fronts.

By all indications the "tribute knife" is a pretty nice knife. If they change the local knife law to allow longer blades, I'll buy a high quality knife in that length. Maybe a small Sebenza, maybe a Slysz Bowie. Or maybe a TiLock. Or maybe....

Okay? I don't judge people I don't know and hope you don't either.. Thanks

Where's the judgement? The post of mine you quoted was a statement of fact, was it not?

But for over 2.5 inches, you would not pay more than $100 and would prefer to buy a....how to put it..."tribute" knife. That was pretty clear.

And as I said in a later post., if you have no objection to buying that SRM, go ahead.

Politics, legalities and intellectual property factors aside? Sure. I'll play your game. Although I have plenty to say on that matter.

There's this thing called a "warranty" that most, if not all, American companies offer, that guarantees that if the knife isn't up to snuff they'll fix or replace it. There's no such warranty with these Chinese knockoffs, or other garbage that isn't knockoffs.. Furthermore, saving a few bucks now can cost you a whole lot more when you're in the hospital getting stitches because the cheap piece of crap you bought failed on you and closed on your finger.

Politics, legalities and intellectual property factors aside? Sure. I'll play your game. Although I have plenty to say on that matter.

There's this thing called a "warranty" that most, if not all, American companies offer, that guarantees that if the knife isn't up to snuff they'll fix or replace it. There's no such warranty with these Chinese knockoffs, or other garbage that isn't knockoffs.. Furthermore, saving a few bucks now can cost you a whole lot more when you're in the hospital getting stitches because the cheap piece of crap you bought failed on you and closed on your finger.

This post actually made sense to me. Thank you.

He already bought one. We are trying to help you!

No one hassles him because he's not called "evil" greg for nothing. ;) :)

No one hassles him because he's not called "evil" greg for nothing. ;) :)

Also, in my defense, in my first post in this thread I told OP not to buy the SRM knife. So I'm not entirely evil . . . ;)

Sanrenmu 710/7010 is hardly a Sebenza clone, the lines are all wrong :rolleyes: it took a few design cues, not a mortal sin in my books. Good knife for $10-15.

While the Sebenza is a marvel in manufacturing quality, it is hardly an aesthetically appealing design that I would copy.

I have a Drifter and am still figuring out how to get rid of it.

However the 710 is a great great knife and very different than a Sebenza IMO. The only knife I like more in the $10 price range is the Squid.

The SRM 710/7010 is a very good knife. Copies are fair game, unless CRK actually did the work to own the design. AFAIK, this was never done. Even if it was, the legalities of US based intellectual property may not even apply to gray market items sourced from a different country. All this talk of "clones=bad" is just the same old butthurt knife nuts love to get steamed over. CRK isn't even being hurt by SRM. And if he were, he deserves to be, because that's what capitalism as all about. And it would light a fire under his butt to get even better, or get out of the game.

I don't know if SRM has made knives for CRKT, or currently does, but they did make a close copy of a CRKT model in the past. I was curious to see if the CRKT was simply a rebranded SRM, and purchased the CRKT and the SRM to compare. In this particular case, they were not the same. In every way, the SRM was a better knife. Better fit and finish, better steel, and significantly cheaper. It was pretty clear. If I were CRKT, I wouldn't have been angry at SRM for selling a copy. I would have been embarrassed that they did so much better, and the original was so bad in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back