Scandi grind Framelock Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me - I would LOVE to make one!

I just gotta get set up for folder building one of these days.

And I would be concerned about pricing. Would have to be around $300 for it to be done right. Would that be undesirable?

Dan

If I did make one - what features would be wanted on it? (other than a scandi grind...:D)

I do have a few framelock designs I've made up and tested in CAD/CAM. That's the easy part. :D LOL

The hard part is taking the time to sit down and put all the little teeny pieces together, pull it back apart, lather/rinse/repeat...

Dan

What about one side stainless liner and one side micarta (framelock)?

Man, a framelock scandi folder. I am all ears! I think $300 would be totally reasonable given the amount of time each one would take.

What about one side stainless liner and one side micarta (framelock)?

OK, spell this one out for me, are you talking about one side with a liner and micarta scale and the other side ti (like a Hinderer)?

For me this is what I prefer

3.5"-4" length
some kind of texture on handles ( I don't like smooth knives much)
thumb jimping on spine
open consturction (no back spacer)

and $300 for a Koster folder no problem.

For me this is what I prefer

3.5"-4" length
some kind of texture on handles ( I don't like smooth knives much)
thumb jimping on spine
open consturction (no back spacer)

and $300 for a Koster folder no problem.

+1. Guess I'm kind of ambivalent about the back spacer thing, I can see where an open design like Hinderer makes it easier to keep clean.

Couple of things I like about Striders, their execution of thumb jimping (big, widely spaced grooves) and the choil. If you gotta make a big choil, I've not held one better designed than the Striders.

I've been avoiding Ti because of the potential for fires...I guess if I get the parts Waterjet cut it might decrease the potential...Ti sparks are super volatile, self ignite, and can lie "dormant" long enough to forget about it....yikes!!!

But I absolutely love the weight, feel and looks of Ti.

And I love framelocks. The 2 are made for each other.

On a separate note I like the folders the Graham brothers are making.

Wow, I wasn't aware of the danger associated with fire and titanium. I saw a helicopter burn to the ground because the magnesium main gearbox got EXTREMELY hot. Nothing you can do if one of the gearboxes catch fire. It would keep burning, even underwater.

I'd be happy with stainless.

I would love to see some CAD drawings of a framelock from you.

I really love the outline of your BushMaster blade shape. Scaling it down to 3.5" or so would be something to behold! 3V please.

Alright, guys - I'll start the CAD/CAM drawings.

Thanks for the prompting.

Maybe I could have a prototype ready to look at by the Blade Show?

Any of you planning on attending?

Dan

I'd be very interested in seeing a scandi folder. I am in Roswell and I hope to be able to go to the Blade show.

TI frame (or stainless as an option) checkered and sanblasted , frame & tab lock , scandi grind, pocket clip over the lock to prevent over extension.
Carpenter XHP steel for the 3.5" blade
OK for $300

I would like to see it as others mentioned with a greater than 3" blade.

Also a blade shape like a Skookum Bush Tool (ie straight spine sharp point) would be really cool.

OR a blade shaped like a Case Sodbuster with a scandi grind.

Lanyard hole.

$300 would be perfectly reasonable to me. I'd be happy to be #1 on the list;)

I started a drawing over the weekend - looks kinda like a cross between the bushcraft and bushmaster knives. 3.5" blade.

I'll post up pics after I get the lock details worked out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dan

I started a drawing over the weekend - looks kinda like a cross between the bushcraft and bushmaster knives. 3.5" blade.

I'll post up pics after I get the lock details worked out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dan

Looking forward to seeing the drawings. I will probably be at Blade on Saturday.

Great - hope to see you there.

I have let this design "bake" for a while - time to put the finishing touches on it. I'll post pics this weekend.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back