Scandi grind Framelock Folder

Discussion in 'Koster Knives' started by hollowdweller, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Pics?:thumbup:;)

2. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Kicking it back up!

3. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    I'll take some time to work on it after the Blade Show this weekend. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reminder.

Dan

4. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Glad to help.

I KNOW you need one new project:D;)

5. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Do it!!!! I'm interested.

6. viva la

viva la

Jan 13, 2010
    I would be really interested in seeing this also. And 300$ IMO is very reasonable.

7. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    I'm going to schedule some time with some folder makers...maybe make a few connections here at the Blade Show and get this thing DONE in 2010! :thumbup:

Dan

8. SirIsaacNewton

SirIsaacNewton

May 23, 2010
    My all time favorite production folder is the Ed ED Schempp Spyderco Barong. If it was assisted opening it would be the perfect pocket folder in my mind. I think it would be great to do something similar with a nessmuk sweep upwards and wider blade. It would be cool to provide a scandi and ffg like your first nessmuk prototypes.

9. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    Sounds cool.

10. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Ok - I have a drawing to look at.

Keep in mind - the things chosen in this design reflect hours/months/years of pondering that I have done regarding a folder of my own make - something that would be feasible given the tools/processes/skills I already have, be reasonable in cost, be simple in design and use....and most importantly, be fun for me to make.

Here's what I insist upon:

• framelock design (not interested in other lock designs)
    • "secondary lock" ensured by a thumbstud (every folder I have held with this feature has been solid as a rock, so there must be something to it)
    • large enough handle to make it usable (full size handle)
    • large enough blade to make it usable (bush-worthy)
    • 0.125-0.135" thick blade - large enough for a scand grind, thin enough to be light and easy to sharpen
    • one side titanium, one side handle material

I am open to suggestions on blade type (whether more drop-point or more spear-point), blade material (I would like it to be 3V), handle materials, overall length, handle height, handle thickness, contouring vs. chamfered handle slabs, overall weight/balance.....as well as any other practical suggestions that would help make the knife function better.

Here's the drawing:

[​IMG]

And here's a drawing showing the CAD file from the 2009 Bushcraft (in red) - for size comparison:

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think - make suggestions at will...never hurts to ask, right?

I haven't been completely clear in disclosing everything bouncing around in my head....a few good questions might help draw that out.

Thanks for your interest, guys!

:thumbup:

Dan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  11. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    And now with a backspacer in there for handle comfort. Yes it will have to be cleaned out now-n-then...but a quick swab with a q-tip is not a big deal if you ask me. ;)

Dan

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    for the unimaginative....LOL

[​IMG]
    (one side)

Dan

Attached Files:

13. mapper66

mapper66

Nov 11, 2007
    That is looking good Dan!

14. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I like it Dan! Be great if you used 0-1 or 3-V!

OD green G-10 for the handle and backspacer if used.

Blade design profile looks great to me. I'm just not a spearpoint lover. Penetrator tip would be trick as well.

15. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    I like the thumbstud locking thing. I never noticed that on any knives before but great idea.

I'd buy one just like that but if the design would still work with the handle you picture, and a blade with a slightly straighter back like the Enzo liner lock scandi would be really cool.

[​IMG]

My only complaint about the Enzo is that it's liner lock and that the knife is a bit small. If yours was more around the size of the Microtech pictured it would be perfect:thumbup:

The blade is 75mm on the Enzo I think the Mt is 3.5 or slightly more
    [​IMG]

16. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    The knife is around 8" overall length.

Here's another pic with the lock area updated:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    8" would be damn near ideal size for me.:thumbup:

18. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    here's one with more of a drop-point....less of a spear-point

and I made it a full 8" in length overall (opened).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    And now with a striker tip:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I really like the one with the striker tip!!!

Whatcha thinkin of for steel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.