Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

My Sharpfinger, bought new at our local gun shop (late 80's early 90's), I did have the gut hook version too but gave that to my cousin's son.
FfBHmhs.jpg

A new one that I don't recall seeing before. 1991 "Operation Desert Storm". This is the first one I have seen in the 28 years since they were produced. This one has a serial, SS05 on the pile side suggesting that it was to be a salesman's sample. Anyone else seen one?

1991-Desert-Storm-21568222406.jpg

Attachments

• Desert Storm.jpg
    Desert Storm.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My Sharpfinger, bought new at our local gun shop (late 80's early 90's), I did have the gut hook version too but gave that to my cousin's son.

They just don't wear out, do they? Back in the day, I also had all three. I figured that if the Sharpfinger 152OT was so good, maybe the other two drop points, 154OT & 158OT, also were. But I could never get used to them. Of course I have examples of both today, but they don't get used like my original 152OT.
Thanks for showing us yours! Oh... and should you decide to do a semi-annual cleanup of the blade, the green Scotchbrite pads made for dishwashing do a good job without damage. But then so does a nice natural patina.

A new one that I don't recall seeing before. 1991 "Operation Desert Storm". This is the first one I have seen in the 28 years since they were produced. This one has a serial, SS05 on the pile side suggesting that it was to be a salesman's sample. Anyone else seen one?

The answers came quickly from our archivist, lrv.
1,500 pieces ordered, serialized. To be used as a bonus knife for the HK91 hunting knife assortment display. The order was received on May 6, 1991 with delivery date of July 15th - September 30, 1991. The knife itself was termed "502 HKB".

SC91LA221568222529.jpg

There was also an order for the SP lightweight with similar etch, desert camo handles and sheath. I had one of these years ago but sold it and forgot about it.

Last edited:
Another one new to me. True Value Hardware MM152. This one has the custom stamp but stock Old Timer shield and no etch.

I already had the other two variants. One with only the bold "Master Mechanic" logo etch and one with both custom stamp and custom "Master Mechanic" shield.

Last edited:
Another recent acquisition, the upgrade version of the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Shooting Team SFO. This one came in a nicer wood gift box and featured a gold filled blade etch. Plans were for there to be 250 serialized pieces like this made. This one is serial #200.

1984-OLYMPICS-GOLD-ETCH-11567199380.jpg

1984-Olympics-Gold-Etch1567199715.jpg

Here is the lower grade edition of the 1984 Olympics knife in a special fiberboard gift box.

1984-Olympics-51567199627.jpg

As always an incredible collection of Sharpfingers Codger. Thanks for sharing. The Desert Storm Knife is a great discovery.
Thanks! Back in 2004 I never dreamed that there was such a variety of Sharpfingers produced. New variations come to light frequently even after these fifteen years since.

It is nice to acquire more examples for the collection, but also nice to be able to document them here whether I acquire them or not. I've lost count of how many variants I do own. Just getting them all out for a family photo would be a daunting task. Particularly since I feel it is important to maintain their original associated packaging, papers and sheaths without mixing them up.

As always, I would appreciate any reader bringing new variants to my attention. Research continues!

Another new-to-me Sharpfinger SFO I came across. 1987 safety award for the Norfolk & Western Railway. The knife isn't stamped or engraved serialized but the sheath has a hand written number on the back, 0487 and confirmed by a silver mylar adhesive tag on the butt with matching number. Previously when I have seen such printed silver tags they were used to alter text on the ends of the gift boxes or white boxes. I suspect the original owner salvaged it from the packaging and stuck it on the handle himself. So I might also suppose, in the absence of actual records, that the order was for 500 knives with the serials added by the factory to packaging during production.

Mid-year 1988 was the last time SAS-17 pouch sheath was standard issue. This one has the company logo gold ink printed on the front. The knife has a locomotive on the mark side handle (blank pile side) with company logo blade etch. Pile side blade etch is company name and "Injury Free 1987".
Norfolk & Westrn Railway 1.jpg

Attachments

• Norfolk & Westrn Railway 2.jpg
    Norfolk & Westrn Railway 2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1
  • Norfolk & Westrn Railway 3.jpg
    Norfolk & Westrn Railway 3.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1
Sheaths? Over the years, there were four basic designs, the first two of which had only minor detail changes. That being the shape of the retainer strap tab end.
Sheath-types1569784381.jpg

Here is a closer look at the tab end changes.

152-1st-sheath-tabs1569785515.jpg

The pointed tab was used from the first production in 1973 and for a year or two after. It quickly became apparent that that shape wore quickly (and apparently snagged easily resulting in lost knives) and the tab was then rounded for the rest of it's production, until it was replace in 1983 by the pouch style sheath. That one was used until approximately 1988 when the final sheath type was introduced, using the handle retainer strap. The final style eliminated the decorative detail line on the belt hanger border and added a scallop on the sheath throat to help center the knife in the sheath.

Snap sizes varied over the years and I have never found an exact reason other than perhaps changes in the sheath vendors. Some will even be seen with *SCHRADE* stamped in them, but again, I've not been able to pin down any production date for that.

Here is an example of the small and large snaps used on the earlier sheaths.

1st-Sheath-Snap-Sizes1570163141.jpg

An example of the "SCHRADE" embossed snap. I have only seen this on a few of the last type of sheaths with the handle retainer strap. And most often associated with the 152UH first production of 1994-1998.

Schrade-Snap-Sheath-11570739252.jpg

It is a detail that Taylor picked up for use on his Chinese sheaths. However he deleted the rivets ending the stitch rows so you can tell them apart.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, the Ducks Unlimited knife. With the help of a kind friend, I have this one coming in the mail. I know very little about it yet. No papers and no previous sightings. Other than one photo archived from way back of one like it for Wisconsin DU, 1 of 200. This one, hopefully you can read the lasered text, is Kansas, 1 of 75. Kinda suggests that similar editions may have been made at the same time for other state chapters either through an event promotion company or the National DU organization.

466-Kansas-DU1568222693.jpg

I see a few hints as to the date. First, it is based upon a plain ground 502SC blade which would be 1999 or earlier. And the most obvious, lasered presentation box with hinged lid. The first of this style box I remember seeing was the 1987 Federal Duck Stamp issue. So while not exact, they give us an approximate time span of 1987 - 1999, a twelve year window. Note also the smooth solid color Delrin handle. Hopefully one of you will have some helpful information on these knives?
Out of the blue I found the Wisconsin mate to this Kansas one. Still no clue as to when or how many different state chapters had them made. These two are all I have ever seen like them. But new Sharpfinger special editions come around regularly.

Wisconson-DU-21569975030.jpg

As you can see, the Wisconsin issue is one of 200 pieces ordered. Both of these use the 502SC stamped blade and have smooth black handles.

Last edited:
Back to sheaths for a moment, here is a seldom seen option for SFO customers. A custom stamp "brand" on the sheath face.
45tVNRN.jpg

Sheath-Stamp-Frito-Lay1570230922.png

Also Sunshine Crackers.
Sheath-Stamp-Sunshine-Crackers1570231012.jpg

As you might guess, the DU one is the most common I have seen. This example came with the 2004 issue.

Sheath-Stamp-DU-20041570231047.jpg

This is the sheath ordered by SMKW for their 152OTO orange handled Sharpfinger.

152OTO-Orig-61570462278.jpg

Another sheath stamp seen, North American Hunting Club.

Sheath-Stamp-NAHC1572576516.jpg

Last edited:
Sheath leather color varied over the years. Special and Limited Editions were often black. Standard production was usually some shade of brown from light tan through chocolate and some reddish russet. A few of note on earlier Scrimshaw editions were embossed to imitate elephant hide and pigskin. One peculiar one has surfaced in recent years, the suede sheath. I have never seen it associated with a new in the box example which suggests that it may be a replacement sheath from either the factory liquidation or even from another maker such as Camillus or Bear & Son. Schrade did use some sueded leather sheaths for lockbacks in the commemorative series of the eighties and nineties, so it is possible that a sample box for the Sharpfinger was made but not used. Maybe some day we will find an answer?

Suade-Sheath1570740321.jpg

I know that y'all will be surprised, but I bought another Sharpfinger. A user for my son-in-law whose last one was stolen by a "friend".

Jason-11570905090.jpg

I knew the sheath was likely toast and when it arrived, it was. Not just one punch through on the face but two.
Jason-21570905112.jpg

Alas my son saw it and reminded me that he didn't have one yet. And this one was in excellent overall condition.
Jason-31570905250.jpg

So fitted in a new old stock sheath, it went home with him. Hopefully it will serve him well. Now to find another for my son-in-law.

Here is another example of a commercial "Scrimshaw" SFO. This one chose to use art from a different Scrimshaw pattern knife, the stockman, on their Sharpfinger. Along with their logo and text blade etch. An oil drilling company from Louisiana.
Bocker-11569104194.jpg
Here is one that I found almost a year ago. Cursory searches of the company name turned up nothing. Today I gave it another go after reexamining the logo etch. And the story I found was quite interesting.
The company was founded by Harry Hamilton "Red" Booker in 1954. It grew quickly during the early days of offshore Gulf drilling platforms. So Red called his son Patrick home to help him manage the business of offshore platforms in demand by Esso and others. Red passed away unexpectedly in 1966 leaving his son to carry on and Pat became president of Booker Drilling Company. He was 25 years old. In relatively short order Pat and his five siblings had gone from one rig to many and employed hundreds of workers. Then in the late 70's giant W.R. Grace Corporation came with an offer to buy and they sold. Pat was not yet 40 years old and was able to retire after completing his contract of serving as President for seven years after the sale. John Patrick 'Pat' Booker died Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at age 74.

The company seems to have changed hands again in 1993 and currently is owned by Blake International Rigs, LLC.

Still not a lot of information on the when and how many were produced of their SFO knife. The Giorgianni art is signed '82. But I seem to recall it being used on another Scrimshaw Of The Outdoors pattern (1982 505SC Stockman), so it may have been recycled later for this piece. However the sheath is no later than mid 1983 so...

Booker-Art--11571104568.jpg

Another SFO Sharpfinger that I am looking for... 1991 Bassmaster Classic. Here is what Eric said about those knives in general in 2011:

I'm not positive, but I think they may have made two versions, there was the regular yearly knife (which I believe I've seen but not positive on), and then there was a smaller production of knives for the team in the annual Bassmaster Classic tournament. I've got a couple of those, had the '89 too (LB-7/507SC) but gave it to my nephew since he dreams of one day competing in that tournament. Here's a pic, is your etch similar to this or does it contain the larger B.A.S.S emblem?

I saved a picture of one some time back but don't remember the source. Perhaps eBay, or a member here. The blade etch is "1991 Classic Team".

1991-Bass-Masters-Classic-21571346936.jpg

The art is from an earlier 1989 503SC Scrimshaw issue.

1991-Bass-Masters-Classic-Art-1989-503SC1571422773.jpg

1996 was the last year that new unique artwork appeared on thr 502SC Sharpfinger in the "Scrimshaw Of The Great American Outdoors" series, the bull moose.

In 1997 it was decided to recycle earlier artwork and the deer bust of the 1979 501SC was chosen. That knife was marked stainless "+" and catalog numbered 502SC97. It was listed in 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000 with the same art and same number. While other new sets were created such as Wildlife Forever and Endangered Species, this was the final design for the original series. Quantities produced unknown.

502SC971572127614.jpg

502SC-Deer-Bust-Art-11572127738.jpg

Back