Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

They made them both ways. They were not particular about stamping them with an "H" or without an "H." (for "hole.") In the future, please post questions like this in the regular Schrade forum, not in the "sticky" section. The sticky was intended originally for answers for you to research, not for questions, but of course this is a gray area. Welcome to the forum, yoyobeerman! Supposedly the 225 without the hole was made from 1953 to 1978, and with the hole from 1957 to 1975. These knives were also made before the Baers bought the company in late 1946, so these published catalog dates may not be totally correct. The ones with a sabre-ground master blade are generally of earlier manufacture than the ones which are flat-ground. A bone-handled Walden-stamped Schrade NECESSARILY must have been manufactured between December of 1946 and about 1960, when they switched to Delrin. The black patina, if glass smooth, is a CONTROLLED oxidation, whereas a faster, less-controlled oxidation is called RUST. They are both chemically identical or very similar. Ironically, an even coating of nice patina MAY protect the blade from more destructive rusting, but, if so, this protection is weak. In any case, some folks prefer the look of the patina rather than a shiny polished look. That is subjective, but if there is substantial patina it is proof-positive that the steel is not a type of stainless.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. New collector of vintage Schrade knives looking for information on the LB1. Does anyone know if there was a change in the key chain bell on the LB1? I have seen 2 different types and was looking for clarification. I am looking to get a LB1 for My LB collection just wanted to make sure I am buying an original not one someone has repaired. Thanks for any info you can give.

Randy H.

I am so happy to Join Your Addiction!! I was given an Uncle Henry 285UH, from My Father In-Law with broken blades.
I have taken it apart to clean and find the Stamp#. My guess is it is a early 70's Uncle Henry.

I need help to verify and find out if anyone knows where I can procure:
  • 285UH Blade
  • 3 7/8" Spey Blade
For this knife

Any Help will be most appreciated, I took a picture of it disassembled.
P1030554_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Steven K.

Last edited:
CAN ANYONE EDUCATE ME AS TO THE SIGNIFICANCE, DIFFERENCE & YEAR OF PRODUCTION WITH THIS KNIFE ?? I have a Schrade UH papa bear W/Gold Rush on the blade & the tang stamp is SCHRADE+ U.S.A LB7 , also the Staglon handle has 4 pins not 3 and the UNCLE HENRY plate stamp on the handle is BRASS not stainless & on the top bolster it has MSG395.. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS

Is this the 160OT Mountain Lion? The tang is stamped "Schrade USA 160OT" It's NOS I bought in 1995. What is it's approx value? SS I presume?
oldtimer_zpseuew2zgf.jpg

Is this the 160OT Mountain Lion? The tang is stamped "Schrade USA 160OT" It's NOS I bought in 1995. What is it's approx value? SS I presume?
oldtimer_zpseuew2zgf.jpg

It's carbon steel Joe Kidd. Nice piece. Check ended eBay listings to get an idea of value.

Curious about any info on: Schrade Cutlery Classics "The Rancher" TM 5 (serial numbered). Found one today in "minty" if not "mint condition" w/ original box and registration certificate

Welcome e3usmc (Lcpl)!

I imagine what is worn off under the SCHRADE WALDEN is one of three things:
N.Y. (used from 1946 to 1950's) or N.Y. U.S.A. (used from 1946 to 1973) or N.Y. USA (used from 1946 to 1973). This info is from B.K. Brook's article "Schrade- 100 Years of Markings" published in Knife World, June 2004.

LT (lt632ret) or Codger will be along soon and I am sure they would know if these dates are not accurate.

Welcome to the forum. It as always good to have another Marine here! :D

Oorah,
Dale

Thanks my latest 8OT is between 1946-1973. Mine got their Derin scales on it.

Delrin became available in 1960 when Dupont opened the factory and began production.

Just acquired one of the 1978 Schrade "double raccoon" barlows at a knife show in Virginia. Paid $30 for it. Dunno if that's too much, but I'm happy. :D

B248C8E2-73FC-4DC3-BFCF-527F338045C8_zpsqeqekmou.jpg

I just joined the Forum, so I may be doing this all wrong but this is my question:

Schrade Scrimshaw Series Barlows 1978-1986
I collect standard size 3 3/8 inch Barlow knives and have in the neighborhood of 450 different Barlow knives. I am writing today concerning the Schrade Scrimshaw Series from 1978 through 1986 [tang stamp Schrade, U.S.A. SC506]. I have the entire set but I am wondering how rare the FIRST year 1978really is. In all my limited travels (since 1990) to knife shows throughout the northeast as far south as Tennessee and my examination of ebay, I have only ever seen two Double Raccoons and I own both of them. Could anyone shed some light on how many of each year the Schrade Company produced. What do you feel the whole set is worth sold together?

1978 TWO RACCOONS
1979 ONE RACCOON
1980 DUCKS
1981 FOX
1982 SQUIRL
1983 OWL
1984 WILD BOAR
1985 PHESANT
1986 PUP AND DECOY

Thanks.
BarlowKnight

Just acquired one of the 1978 Schrade "double raccoon" barlows at a knife show in Virginia. Paid $30 for it. Dunno if that's too much, but I'm happy. :D
I have that exact model in my pocket right now. The racoons are mostly worn off of mine though. Great user. :cool:

I have been carrying it's older brother for a while now. An Ulster 10OT. It took me a bit to get used to having just two blades instead of three on my stockman, but they are sufficient for everything I have needed it for so far. And yes, it is 1095HC and takes a nice edge. I used it last night to cut my steak at supper.

I have been carrying this Herman occasionally; it is not quite as pristine now as shown.

1234cvm.jpg

And here are some I will not be using.

11ru54j.jpg

Say Heah Boys and Girls, I always wanted a nice Barlow, We'll just about 2 weeks ago I bought a few folders at the Pawn Shop. I bought a Diefenthal in the original box and a Schrade 2 blade Scrimshaw Barlow which is really a nice knife, But to nice to use, Also never use Nib. I did get a user, It's a Camillus Jim Catfish Hunter #4, This one was used but in excellent condition. and I also got a Buck 112 X which I found out was made in 1990, But the steel used at that time was 425 Mod. which I found out that it's actually a 20% better edge retention only second to the 440c. modules. But since the Camillus was used, the edge doesn't seem like it was ever sharpened and the brass has a ding where it was dropped. I have no problem using this one and it too is made in the U. S. of A. But that 2 blade Scrimshaw Barlow sure looks like it would be a great whistler. Just the right size and two blade shapes appropriate for carving. Any information on the type of steel would greatly be appreciated. Thanx in advance, Guy's.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Picture of tang stamp and overall knife would help.

Its going to be 1095 or 440A.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/knife_knowledges.pdf

Say Heah Boys and Girls, I always wanted a nice Barlow, We'll just about 2 weeks ago I bought a few folders at the Pawn Shop. I bought a Diefenthal in the original box and a Schrade 2 blade Scrimshaw Barlow which is really a nice knife, But to nice to use, Also never use Nib. I did get a user, It's a Camillus Jim Catfish Hunter #4, This one was used but in excellent condition. and I also got a Buck 112 X which I found out was made in 1990, But the steel used at that time was 425 Mod. which I found out that it's actually a 20% better edge retention only second to the 440c. modules. But since the Camillus was used, the edge doesn't seem like it was ever sharpened and the brass has a ding where it was dropped. I have no problem using this one and it too is made in the U. S. of A. But that 2 blade Scrimshaw Barlow sure looks like it would be a great whistler. Just the right size and two blade shapes appropriate for carving. Any information on the type of steel would greatly be appreciated. Thanx in advance, Guy's.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I came across this knife & I have never seen the tang stamp before. Wondering if it's real or fake. My thoughts is that it's a fake. I've been worn before.

I don't think it is a fake but that the blade was stamped for a limited edition knife of the same pattern. Thunderbird?

Back