Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

newshooter04 said:
i have a schrade single blade i have had for years lying in my gun rack.it has bone handle and the words schrade+ u.s.a. ltd on the blade and nothing on the reverse.
the medallion in the handle says ' museum of new york sterling .on the boster is the number 7245 in small numbers
it has the statue of liberty with a boat under the statue with men rowing and flags flying.im sure there is a box somewhere for it.it is a thin handle knife with a good feel . nice knife. can someone tell me age, app. value, scarce or plentiful.
thank you for your help.
david
i just found my knife on ebay except the one there is a 1 of 1 that came off the ceo's wall. i never found even 1 model like i have , single blade with bone handle even w/o the liberty logo.

Welcome David!
Can you post a picture of the knife or email a picture to me & I will post it for you. My email is dalervincent@comcast.net
A picture would help us to identify the knife. If you cannot do either, please post the dimensions of the knife. It sounds like a limited edition of some sort. Do you remember where & when you got the knife? If you list the ebay auction number that might help also.

Thanks,
Dale

Schrade Lady Liberty issues with medalion were a special editon contracted for I believe the Metropolitan museum ( going by memory ). Made mostly in staglon with a number that high it should be staglon. enclosed pics are of the non medalion jigged bone version special issue in small numbers. Most were issued in staglon with no medalion ( that was the original version ) . These were done to celebrate the anniversary of the statue and to raise money to restore it ( mid 80ty ???? again if memory serves ) which usually it dosen't . Hope this helps I just do not have the time to look it up. LT PS they may have used this etch on other patterns but this is the usual style of knife.

Attachments

• MVC-581S.JPG
    MVC-581S.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 33
  • MVC-582S.JPG
    MVC-582S.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 24
  • MVC-583S.JPG
    MVC-583S.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 20
dale , thank you for responding. a knife like mine is listed on ebay with complete papers and mint . the number is 6617497071 schrade knives.
my knife has been packed and has no papers.i thank u in advance for any help.
david
lt, that is like my knife cept mine has a medallion and serial number with the bone handles.the one on ebay said it was made in 1986.

This reply is for vicki666 Hello Wayne. Knowing the extent of some of your collection I wanted to mention ( as You are probably aware the only two patterns offered in bone unter the Old timer line ( pre 1973 were the 2 OT andf 8 OT. ). Bob Clementes book is an excellant reference ( as was mentioned ) regarding these dates. In the mean time here are some pics of pre 1973 Schrade Waldens that you might enjoy. LT PS this was most of there line prior to 1956 and after 46.

Attachments

• MVC-584S.JPG
    MVC-584S.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 54
  • MVC-585S.JPG
    MVC-585S.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 49
  • MVC-586S.JPG
    MVC-586S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 47
  • MVC-587S.JPG
    MVC-587S.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 44
  • MVC-588S.JPG
    MVC-588S.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 48
Here are some more pics from that old catalogue.

Attachments

• MVC-589S.JPG
    MVC-589S.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 36
  • MVC-590S.JPG
    MVC-590S.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 32
  • MVC-592S.JPG
    MVC-592S.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 17
I do not know why this is not taking the pics correctly but here are some more if the show up. LT Well some did some didn't any here are a few.

Attachments

• MVC-595S.JPG
    MVC-595S.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 32
  • MVC-594S.JPG
    MVC-594S.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 17
  • MVC-596S.JPG
    MVC-596S.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 29
  • MVC-593S.JPG
    MVC-593S.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 14
I just bought A Schrade Walden "Buffalo Bill' #BB 166 Limited Edition Bowie Knife. It has a serial number 01714 on the brass guard. Could someone tell me a date and maybe worth of this. It came in a box and had a information paper with it. It appears to be in great shape the leather sheath has no wear that I can see and it appears to have never been sharpened but is very sharp. Thanks for youall forum it has a lot of good stuff in it.

Once again going by the old memory system I believe that is the larger version, if so in the condition you describe 150 to 200 perhapes 250. Smaller version add a bit since they are harder to find. I do not remember the date I should look it up but a guess is the 70 tys. I seem to remember wanting one and not being able to afford one when they came out. So that would have been the 70 tys since then my main concern was feeding 5 kids. LT PS if wrong feel free to spank me like I said if i am to lazy to look it up I deserve what i get.

Since I owe LT a favor or two or six, and he is past getting spankings (unless it is by an Ellenville maiden), I looked it up. I only see the BB 166 listed in...1970 and 1971. It was one of the very few Schrade fixed blades to have fullering.

Codger

I have this compulsion to make lists of Schrade numbers. So....when LT posted he pictures of the old catalog of his, I had to blow up the pics, and run them through Photo-Shop and extract what info I could from them. These knives are circa 1946 - 1956. I won't swear I got got all the numbers & details right, especially the fractions on the lengths. But, here is what I was able to extract from LT's pictures.

Thanks again LT for all your valuable input into this forum.

Dale

Older Schrade Models circa 1946 to 1956
151 Safety Push Button; 4"; Fish Tail; celluloid handle, asst colors; clip blade; brass lining
154 Safety Push Button; 4-1/8"; stagged handle, large clip blade; steel lining & steel bolsters
155 Safety Push Button; 4-1/8"; stagged handle, large clip blade; steel lining & steel bolsters
175 Grafting knife; 3-1/2"; glazed finished grafting blade; brass linings, steel bolsters;Cocobola handle
180 Budding knife; 4"; flat sided blade w/bark loosener- glaze finished; thick brass linings; back celluloid handle
181 Budding knife; 4"; flat sided blade w/bark loosener- glaze finished; thick brass linings; white celluloid handle
182 Grafting knife; 4"; glazed finished flat sided blade; thick brass linings; black celluloid handle
183 Grafting knife; 4"; glazed finished flat sided blade; thick brass linings; white celluloid handle
186 Large Pruning knife; 4-7/8"; Large pruning (hook) blade- glazed finish; steel linings & bolsters; Cocobola handle
190 Budding knife w/stationary genuine ivory budder; 4-1/8"; budding blade; brass lined; nickel silver bolsters; glaze finish blade; black celluloid handle
195 Florist grafting knife w/shackle; 3-7/8"; grafting blade; brass linings; nickel silver shackle; glaze finish blade; ivory celluloid handle
196 Florist pruning knife; 3-3/8"; light pruning blade; brass linings; nickel silver shackle; glaze finish blade; ivory celluloid handle
200 Smokers Knife, Senator pattern; pocket blade & piercer (for cigars or cleaning pipes); tamper on end; nickel silver
234K Serpentine Jack; 3-5/16"; Clip & pen blades; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield; K-horn celluloid handles, brass liners
236 Serpentine Jack knife; 3-9/16"; Black celluloid handles; clip & pen blades; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
242 Equal End Jack Knife;3-1/4"; Bone Stag handle; spear & pen blades; Brass Liners; Nickel Silver bolsters & propeller shield
272 Serpentine Jack; 2-7/8"?; Clip & pen blades; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
294 Serpentine Jack; 3-7/8"; bone stag handles; half sabre clip blade & pen blade; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters, caps & propeller shield
295K Serpentine Jack; 3"; Clip & pen blades; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield; K-horn celluloid handles, brass liners
708 Serpentine pen knife; 2-3/4"; stagged handles; clip & pen blades; brass linings; nickle silver bolster & federal shield
709 Senator Pattern; 3-1/16"; ss engine turned handle; ss spear blade & Flexible nail file; & leather purse
7095HA Senator Pattern; 3-1/16"; ss engine turned handle; ss spear blade & Flexible nail file; w/shackle & leather purse
716 Budding & Grafting knife; 3-5/8"; budding & grafting blades; brass lining; nickel silver bolsters; glaze finish blade; ivory celluloid handle
730 Bugging & Pruning knife; 4-1/8"; budding & pruning blades; brass linings, steel bolsters, NS federal shield; glazed finished blades bone stag handle
740 Safety Push Button; 3-1/8"; Deluxe Sterling Silver handle; spear & pen blades; nickel silver lining, w/leather purse
741 Safety Push Button; 3-1/8"; celluloid handle, asst colors; spear & pen blades; brass lining
742 Safety Push Button; 3-1/8"; stagged handle; spear & pen blades; brass lining
744 Safety Push Button; 2-7/8"; Sterling Silver handle; spear & pen blades; nickel silver lining, w/leather purse
745 Safety Push Button; 2-7/8"; celluloid handle, asst colors; spear & pen blades; brass lining
750 Safety Push Button; 3-1/4"; celluloid handle, asst colors; spear & pen blades; brass lining
760 Senator pattern; 3-1/4"; Mottled brown horn celluloid; Clip & pen blades; brass liner; nickel silver bolsters & propeller shield
766 Wharncliffe pattern; 3-1/16"; black celluloid handles; clip & pen blades; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
770 Senator pattern; 2-7/8"; stagged handles; spear blade & flexible nail file; nickel silver tips & propeller shield
774 Congress pattern; 3"; bone stag handles; sheepsfoot & pen blades; brass linings & nickle silver bolsters
793 Slim Senator pattern; 2-1/2"; solid marine pearl handle; spear blade & flexible nail file; nickel silver linings & tips
804 Mechanics Knife; 3-7/8"; bone stag handle; Large sabre clip, small clip & caping pen blades; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
808 Serpentine pattern; 2-3/4"; stagged handles; clip, sheepsfoot & pen blades; nickel silver federal shield & linings w/ milled backs; w/leather purse
810 Senator pattern; 3-1/8"; bone stag handle; spear, sheepsfoot & pen blades; nickel silver bolsters & oval shield;
812 Champagne Jr. knife; 3"; spear blade, flexible manicure file & corkscrew; caplift formed by springs & handle; w/flannel purse
834 Serpentine pattern; 3-5/16"; bone stag handle; clip, spey & pen blades; nickel silver bolster & federal shield
836 Serpentine pattern; 3-9/16"; black celluloid handle; Large clip, small clip & pen patterns; brass linings; nickle silver bolster & federal shield
842 Senator pattern; 3-1/8"; marine pearl handle; spear, pen blades & long flexible nail file; brass linings; nickle silver tips & oval shield
856 Cattle Knife; 3-7/8"; bone stag handle; Clip, sheepsfoot & spey blades; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters
861 Slip Premium Stock Knife; 4"; bone stag handle; Turkish clip, sheepsfoot & spey blades; nickel silver linings, bolsters & federal shield; milled back
865 Sunfish Lobster pattern; 3"; marine pearl handle; Spear & pen blades & long nail file; nickle silver tips & brass linings
881 Premium Stock knife; Texas Pattern; 4"; Bone stag handles; Clip, spey & sheepsfoot blades; brass linings, nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
883 Premium Stock knife; 4"; bone stag handle, Clip, sheepsfoot blades & leather punch; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
890 Premium Stock knife; 3-1/2"; bone stag handle, Clip, sheepsfoot & spey blades; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
891 Premium Stock knife; 3-1/2"; bone stag handle, Clip, sheepsfoot blades & leather punch; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
896K Slim Premium Stock knife; 3-9/16"; K-horn celluloid handles; clip, sheepsfoot & spey blades; brass linings; nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
899 Premium Stock Knife; 3-9/16"; bone stag handle; Turkish clip, spey blades & leather punch; brass linings, nickel silver bolsters & federal shield
946 Senator Pattern; 2-7/8"; ss engine turned handle; 4 blades-ss spear, ss pen, ss lance, & flexible nail file; leather purse
9465HA Senator Pattern; 2-7/8"; ss engine turned handle; 4 blades-ss spear, ss pen, ss lance, & flexible nail file; w/shackle & leather purse
970 Senator Pattern; 2-7/8"; MOP handle; 4 blades- spear, pen, flexible manicure file, & surgical lance; nickel silver lining milled; NS tips; leather case
974 Congress pattern; bone stag handles; 2 sheepfoot blades & 2 pen blades; brass linings & nickel silver bolsters

I hope everyone find this helpful.

Thank you LT you sure have a great memory. Just for info its a 12 inch overall length with a 7 inch blade and weights 16 Ounces. Oh by the way I don't even spank my grandkids so I'll leave ya be. Couger 64 said very few fixed blades have fullering what that guys? I only know surgery lingo!

There was a limited smaller version and yes those years seem right. Thanks Mike good job Dale. LT

Fullering is what is popularly (and wrongly) called "blood grooves". It is an indention in the blade that was originally used on sabres and swords as a means of both lightening and strengthening them.

This is a much later Schrade, a 140OT Trail Boss with twin fullers.
Codger

I thought it had to do with brushes you know like the fullering brushering company. LT

It does have one on it well I'll be darn thats neat info thank you and boy am I showing my age.

Well goodnight to the forum and thanks for the good information I'll be back, and Lt you're a hoot thanks to all.

Funny how this works.There is a 166BB listed today by our friend MVP on Ebay.#6623883768.Arnold

After looking at the knife I listed above my question is how much superglue is holding that handle on.Is this a prototype or more protohype.Arnold

LT,
I noticed in some of the catalog pages you posted that many of the knives say, "large blade polished on one side" or "blades full polished."
What was the purpose of only polishing one side of the blade as opposed to both sides? Or why not polish all the blades as they did on some knives? Was is strictly a labor cost factor or was there some other reason? I also noticed that on many of the horticulture knives it says; "Glaze-finished blades." What was the purpose of the glaze, just less friction when cutting? What do they mean by Glaze-finished, was it a special coating? Most of the examples I have of these knives are well used and so it is hard to see what was meant by the glaze, though I have one in particular that is highly polished.

Thanks for you help,
Dale

Back