Screw Yer Warranty!!!

A couple days back, I decided to sand down the annoying sharp lip that ran along the lock-bar cut-out on my Medford Marauder.
Took the pocket clip off to do so.
While I was drying it after washing the grit away, the Loctite loosened in the pivot, so I decided to open the whole thing up.

Sadly, one of the screws used to hold the pocket-clip in place was stripped on the end; you could get it to engage the threads of the nut just barely, but if you tightened it much, it spun. I guess Loctite would hold it in, but that seemed lame.

So yesterday, I went and bought new screws at Fastenal.
Then I came home, and voided the already voided warranty all to hell, and then some!!! :D

5LRAXQz.jpg

WFFV0z9.jpg

Lock-bar face looks to be carbidized:

96Qq5D0.jpg

More voiding!

Ip3VGew.jpg

c6pDm4Q.jpg

Put it back together, and the colours were kind of neat:

HbRS9Lt.jpg

PGPTy5d.jpg

BTZHxAM.jpg

DcM2QPi.jpg

m47P6bp.jpg

Took a couple of pics at the gym with my practice sap, and the gloves I use on the bag:

svIZOrH.jpg

b5dt8pW.jpg

Well, the action wasn't as nice as before, so I went to the gun store and bought some choke tube lube.
Opened it back up, lubed the pivot and washers, and reassembled after fiddling with the clip, heating it in an alcohol flame.
Reassembled, and the action is better. Found out that when I got it, they had not tightened the screw fully in the standoff behind the pivot, allowing for even smoother/easier opening and closing.
I tightened it all the way though, as this makes it even more Canada legal...good luck flicking it now. :)

mH1TA97.jpg

QOUbTCK.jpg

7sR7Rxy.jpg

vdPAfoL.jpg

1Ba8wLn.jpg

With the new, longer clip screws (that I cut to length), it is on there better than ever now.
Used Teflon tape to keep the pivot screw from backing out too easily now that the Loctite has been removed...makes it easy to disassemble whenever I feel like it in the future.

So yeah, happier with it now, and I guess that also answers the question about what I think of "not being able to disassemble it." ;)

He's on a plane right now. Don't run.

I called him to get the size of the screws.
Pretty sure I'll live. :D

He said the warranty had been voided, but I knew that, so no big deal.
I basically said, "Yeah, I know."
It is a pretty simple construction; cannot see anything going wrong that I'd need warranty work on anyway. :thumbsup:

I'll see you in hell, warranty!!

:D

Nice pics! That's a big honkin' knife!

It is a big honkin' knife. :)
Although it is insanely thick stock, it is quite thin behind the edge. If you are cutting materials we often encounter in daily life, it works rather well. If you are cutting material that the entire blade must pass through, then it can add friction to the cut, or act like a wedge.

I think my favourite photo of it may be this one:

GGCItZx.jpg

No warranty but you got a blade that works and a clip that will stay attached.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Makes me want to buy one just to take it apart. Love the stove work you did too. The knife came out great looking.

That's as good a reason as any to buy a knife. :thumbsup:

It's always fun doing things to make the knife your own. I think it turned out looking good as well. :)

You gotta make it fit your own specs, or it's of no use to you.
Enjoyed your thread.

Absolutely agree that if something isn't to your liking, and you plan on keeping the knife, change it!
You just have to be ready to accept the consequences if things don't go according to plan (oh, the horrid mistakes of knife modding from decades past! There were some real amazing mistakes. :D).

As long as it still breaks an apple in half before the skin gives way. :thumbsup:

The French guy at work used it to cut his apple in the lunchroom, the one day he forgot his knife at home.
It did cut the apple okay...but the pieces were not as picturesque as when cut using a thinner blade. ;)
The pieces did not fly haphazardly across the room though, and remained edible. :D

He liked the knife though, and it was the first frame-lock he had ever seen. :thumbsup:

You’re brave you are. Loaning a Frenchman your knife. Bravo

Mark, you disregard for warranties is almost Charlie Mike-ish in its epicness. I am impressed! :thumbsup::D

Ah, brings back fond memories of having a few beers and thinking "this is a great time to disassemble a knife and torch it"! Most of mine didn't come out well

You’re brave you are. Loaning a Frenchman your knife. Bravo

:D
I had seen him using his knife before (one given to him by his grandfather), so at least I knew he would use it as a knife. :thumbsup:
I was kind of hesitant handing over a knife this expensive, but I didn't want to be a dick, especially as he had been pleasant during lunch over the previous months.

Mark, you disregard for warranties is almost Charlie Mike-ish in its epicness. I am impressed! :thumbsup::D

Yay! :)

Ah, brings back fond memories of having a few beers and thinking "this is a great time to disassemble a knife and torch it"! Most of mine didn't come out well

Many great home projects throughout history have been begun with a few beers. ;)
Or sleep deprivation...that is a great starting point too. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back