SD equipment on the job

Originally posted by one2gofst
I believe the example of Okinawa to be a fairly good one.

You're right, Okinawa is a good example. It's just not good in the way you think it is.

Regardless of what you *think* about Okinawa, people who trained in martial skills there were purportedly criminals. Furthermore, they were not citizens of a sovereign nation but subjects of a conquering power. They had no "right" to self-defense exactly because the colonial rules did not want them to be *able* to defend themselves (or forment rebellion).

However, that's all mythology. Weapons were never outlawed in Okinawa. Not in the sense that the Karate books want you to believe anyhow (JAMA - not the medicine one - had an article about this very thing recently).

So why, exactly, is it commendable to break the spirit if not the letter of the law when your government wishes to break the very foundational agreements from which your nation is formed?

Pierre

If or when a violent act finds you it will typically be sudden and brutal. The criminal has one thing in mind get whatever he can gain from you and go home. If he kills you it was just a bad day at work for him. The mentioned weapon does not have to be a firearm, though preferred. I do not carry a firearm without a moderate blade, not a backup but an alternate means.

Criminal has knife, he dies by firearm. The same typically goes for the victim if not properly trained. You must know your limitations.

Here is one for consideration: I stop North of Jacksonville, FL for fuel and am accosted by small man with lucky for me a small knife. Do not know if he wanted money or the truck. I was wearing 1911 .45 auto and, forgive me, a Mad Dog Atak. I forgot about them both when attacked. However I did drench the little fella in Diesel Fuel and he departed when I began looking for my lighter. Point, what if he was neither small nor stupid and neither was his choice in weaponry? At that point I think the 1911 would have been the deciding factor, either way my intent was to make it home.

First of all, I don't believe firearms belong in the hands of a privileged few. I am very much in favor of CCW.

As far as your cousin goes I think he did do the right thing. There are other things that could have been done to minimize risk, like picking a noonish or midday arrival time. However, I understand this is not always the case as airlines experience delays and other unforseeables. Like I said, on a rare occasion I can see how someone would think that odds are in favor of carrying. However, if said cousin (or cab driver) found himself constantly picking people up from the airport (chaufer?) then the odds are not in his favor for carrying. It is in this situation that one should think about their priorities and the intelligence behind staying in a dangerous situation.

If you steal something once you will probably get away with it. If you do so repeatedly you are likely to be caught and suffer the repercussions.

I still am confused as to why individuals in a CCW issuing state would carry illegally. This sort of action appears less than on the up and up.

So how exactly is Okinawa not a good example of improvised weapons. It does not matter who the people weilding them were to my position. What matters is that people are thoughroly capable of defensing themselves with improvised weapons.

Is it breaking the spirit of the law to do so? Perhaps. I am not a fan of the law in its letter or spirit, but I do feel it important to follow the letter of the law.

I have said it before and will say it again, each individual has to decide what is right for them. But when someone refuses to work around restrictions and blows through them instead, that does not indicate a savvy individual IMO. How can one logically say that it is OK to disregard some laws but others are necessary for a functioning society? Who decides right and wrong? If it is up to the individual then there is no definition of right and wrong because anything someone likes will be "right" and anything that they don't like is "wrong".

I still am confused as to why individuals in a CCW issuing state would carry illegally. This sort of action appears less than on the up and up.
one2gofst, my cousin may very well have been carrying legally with a CCW at that time, but he may very well have been carrying illegally (he's not one for compromise). I'll have to ask him the next time I talk to him - I posited "illegally" for the sake of discussion. I have lived outside of Michigan all of my adult life so I'm not up on their weapons laws - I just know they suck in comparison to FL.

My friend who was a cab driver here was carrying illegally because he is a convicted violent felon - in that specific incident it was adjudicated that he acted justifiably in self-defense - but he did time for having the gun illegally - go figure. He's often put in a position to have less desireable jobs because of his record - which also places him in another income bracket meaning he usually lives in less than desireable places - jobs and places where no-one in their right mind would work/live without a weapon - thats the cycle called "being caught up in the system."

If they had such thing as a sponsorship program, where past felons with a clean record for a certain amount of time could own firearms if they had the sponsorship of someone with an absolutely clean record - I would not hesitate to sponsor this guy - I would trust him with my mother's life. He's got heart and backbone and never cries about his lot in life - just makes the best of what he has like a grown man should. I mention this only to point out that life is complex and often ushers us into ambiguous situations where either/or don't cut it.

one2 & Greg, I'm not attacking anyone here - just having issue with some ideas expressed. (I'm loaded for bear legally, by the way!):D

Anyone that believes in the Second Amendment and understands the language can see plainly that we are not speaking of a privilege. The fact that politically correct people insist on using politically correct language in this instance is of no concern to me. It's a Right. In this country. In another, it might be a privilege, here it is a right and just because some people want to avoid the discussion of Rights in this Society does not change the facts.

A plant does not have to believe in chlorophyll for photosynthesis to occur, it happens anyway.

On to more pleasant things...eh...

Greg,

I have that article in SOF from the mid to late 1980s, you sure you ain't gittin' a might touch of forgettin' or did you have a partner there? Could my memory be failing and James L. Pate wrote that one in SOF on the Strikers in Appalachia? One uh us has a might shanty bit uh Old Timer's in the memory department. :)

James, thanks for clarifying. Indeed I was referring to the cab driver who was carrying illegally in a CCW permit issuing state. I see something in your post that I find interesting. You say yourself that his position as a felon limits the types of jobs he can have. One who decides to carry a firearms illegally takes the risk of occupying the same role.

I agree that the constitution gives the "right" to keep and bear arms. However the founding fathers also gave states rights to make their own laws. Its a crock in many cases, no arguement. Legally, however, they are ok in doing so. Not entirely above board in my opinion, but legal.

You say yourself that his position as a felon limits the types of jobs he can have. One who decides to carry a firearms illegally takes the risk of occupying the same role.
Risk vs Reward; in this case the reward being living to do time.

I've discussed this incident with him in detail - if he had to do it all over again he would do the same thing. I would have too.

I agree that the constitution gives the "right" to keep and bear arms.

Wrong. The Constitution does not "give" that or any other rights - it simply acknowledges and codifies them. The right to self-protection (among others) is inherent to every human being, and that wouldn't change even if the Constitution was somehow ammended or rewritten.

Just for edification purposes...

The constitution is a document that protects citizen's rights from infringement by the "federal" government (with some exceptions). Constitutional rights that protect a person against "state" infringement exist because they have been "selectively incorporated" (through the 14th amendment) by the U.S. Supreme Court as a right protected against the state's infringement. The most familiar of these rights stem from the bill of rights, ie, 4th amendment protections against search and seizure, right to vote, travel, etc. The second amendment, unfortunately, is one of the few in the bill of rights that has not been "selectively incorporated" to apply to the states. Therefore, the federal constitution only protects the person from 2nd amendment infringement by the federal government. Most states, however, have incorporated 2nd amendment type rights in there constitutions. Furthermore, most states also protect gun ownership, etc, through there statutes. I learned this while I was studying for the bar examination and found it to be interesting and irritating.

As an aside, the other constitutional rights that have not yet been incorporated (through the fourteenth amendment) to apply to the states is your 5th amendment right to a grand jury in criminal cases, 7th amendment right to jury trial in civil cases, and 8th amendment right against excessive bail. All the rest of the bill of rights protect you against both federal and state infringement.

Sorry, I went on another tangent. I just thought that some of you may find this interesting. I hope you don't mind-this just happens to be in my ballpark.
:D

one2gofst:

You propose the people improvise weapons to stay within the letter of the law: the Okinawan example is poor because improvised weapons or not the myth postulates that any martial study by native Okinawans was illegal. Therefore studying Te itself was a crime, just a harder crime to prove than "weapon" owning.

Pierre

Ok, I still fail to see the conflict. My position is that those people used farming implements to avoid the repercussions of the letter of the law. This is the truth. The fact that they were breaking other laws has nothing to do with that fact. It is merely a red herring.

Important to read carefully:)

Obtaining a CCW is a privilege extended, in most cases, by the Sheriff of a county and/or the State. It is not a right to be authorized a CCW, or to carry concealed.

The Right to Bear Arms is exactly that.

No one on this thread has offered an argument or discussion stating otherwise. However, there has been confusion as to the right to possess / bear Arms and the privilege to obtain a permit to carry (a handgun, in most cases) concealed.

There is no debate here. That's the way it is. If you believe having a CCW is a right, march on down to the issuing authority and demand to be issued said permit sans any of the adminstrative functions necessary in most states to obtain one...

Then tell us all how it went:D

Or, if you believe it is a right under the Constitution to carry concealed sans any permit or license...have at it. Again, should you run afoul of DA LAW at some point, tell us how it went:rolleyes:

I also find the general blurring of "Letter of the Law" with "Spirit of the Law" interesting. In Washington State you may obtain a CCW. In Oregon you may obtain a CCW. In both states it's a fairly simple and inexpensive process. However, there is no agreement between WA and OR regarding honoring each other's CCWs. If you want to carry in WA legally...you have to have their CCW. This applies to LE, as well.

In California it's darn near impossible anymore to get a CCW under less than extraordinary circumstances. And I don't believe CA gives a rip about one's WA or OR CCW once you cross da border into CA.

Some states have adopted the Right to Carry law (Florida being one of these, I believe:confused: ) and that in itself is yet another facet of concealed carry...which IS a privilege not a right.

There is no "Spirit of the Law" regarding these state laws when it comes to concealed carry. You're either authorized by permit or license to do so, or you're not.

Now, here's the gemstone, in my opinion -

Aside from the interesting but often highly emotional debate about government this and government that...

The primary point might said to be this -

IF you elect to carry a firearm, or any other weapon illegally regardless of argument or position, and you use it in self defense then you should be fully aware and prepared to pay whatever price might be asked post incident.

Period.

That means putting aside the emotional nonsense and evaluating objectively "Am I fully prepared and willing to lose everything and cause enormous pain to those I love by doing what it is I am thinking of doing?" Go further. Trot down to your friendly family lawyer and ask his or her advice. Ask what you should expect if you pack a pistol illegally anywhere and use it. Have your lawyer spell it out. Then go home and think about what you've just learned and look again at your family, home, bank account, savings account, reputation, and so on.

If you're still of the opinion it would all be worth it...even just getting pinched for carrying illegally...then have at it. You've educated yourself honestly and have made your decision.

Again, the smarter thing to do SELF DEFENSE wise, is to train in a broader array of measures that offer you self protection any where you go regardless of where this might be.

I am not promoting anything other than this approach, based in large part on my long experience owning, carrying, teaching, and using a wide array of weapons systems throughout this country and elsewhere.

And this for consideration only. Make your own choices and decisions, but do so fully and objectively educated and not on the basis of half-truths, myths, right-center-leftist arguments, and outright crap.

The only reason for not better educating yourself and perhaps changing how you conduct your business in lieu of such education is fear...fear of perhaps learning more than you did before and learning that doing something differently is maybe better.

REF: the Gung-Ho article -

I wrote the piece on VI for Gung-Ho. Never did one for SOF. If one was done - and I'm sure it was - I don't recall who might have written it. I wrote it from an insider's perspective, not an observer's. In that article I pointed out that smart VI asset protection teams using the law, solid strategy and tactics, audio and video technology, good documentation, excellent working relationships with local authorities and the clients, and - when necessary - authorized armament in a purely defensive mode brought the kind of results wanted and demanded by high paying corporate clients.

The operators I trained at VI with and then worked / supervised were - at the time - nearly all former special operations personnel with field experience. Although there were certainly novices, cowboys, and "soldiers of fantasy" at VI during this period few of these ever lasted long on the teams I was with. Further, the guys who were the most obsessed about having to have a gun on them were primarily guys who didn't know why they were where they were, and had little or no time in the real world of serious business players.

One of the men I worked with and supervised was a former Rhodesian Selous Scout...which was one of the finest special operations forces in the world bar none. He played by VI's rules and worked the hardest, most violent sites. On one job where I was an assistant supervisor we put him by himself inside an area and let him do his thing. He carried only an Al Mar SERE fixed blade and a baton, and he worked only the night shift. it only took 72 hours for the law breakers among the opposition to learn that fussing with him was fruitless, painful, and humiliating. His smarts, training, experience, and force of character made him truly dangerous. And he never once packed a firearm unless mandated for the job, by the job.

'Nuff said. :cool:

Sir I do Agree, but the question I have is this. If a determined individual pointed a functional firearm at your highly experienced comrade and fired he would have one choice armed as he was required, he would die. Experience is geographical we all live work and develope knowlege from where we are in this world. I am a firm believer in alternative means of defence, but many years of combat experience can be lost to a 15 cent reload.

Methinks Sanford Strong said it best:

"My safety first. Your feelings second."

Since my safety is my responsibility, I'll be damned if I'll cede it to anyone else, at any time, for any reason.

If a truly determined individual pointed a funtional firearm at anyone and fired they are likely to be killed. It matters not what you are packing.

The point being a highly trained combat vetran as described could have a chance to respond at range, if armed properly and not killed immediatly. There is no reasonable chance other than Godly intervention armed with a knife and baton. If he were my target given his ability as described I would take him at range not close up where he had a chance. I would loose the advantage if he were armed with a ranged weapon.

This situation is probably beyond the realm of possibility for the original topic. Who here in this day and time thinks he will recreate this situation. Most of us are more at risk from a teenager who has had one too many brain grenades armed with anything from a raven .25 to a 3500 LB Chevy.

Greg,

Seems to me you're being just a tad condescending here. What makes you assume that those who disagree with you are ignorant or misinformed? In my case, you haven't said anything I didn't already know.
The first time I heard about CCWs being a privilege was from Mas Ayoob, more than 10 years ago (can't remember if it was during LFI I, II or III). That is certainly the case under the eyes of the law, and that's why one can't go to the local authorities and demand this or that. My point was, the right to self-protection is a basic human right, legalities aside, and cannot be denied by the political mood of the time.
This is something some of us strongly believe in - a matter of self-determination and personal freedom even. Apparently, you find that amusing... Your prerrogative, I guess.

Still respectfully,

Leo

BTW, you said:

The Right to Bear Arms is exactly that.

No one on this thread has offered an argument or discussion stating otherwise. However, there has been confusion as to the right to possess / bear Arms and the privilege to obtain a permit to carry (a handgun, in most cases) concealed.

However, it was also you who previously stated:

It's all very well to offer that breaking the laws that granted you the privilege of owning and carrying concealed a firearm is somehow "okay" or acceptable thinking and behavior. It's not.

So, here's where the confusion came from.

Hammerhead, I disagree. From handgun range one can counterattack with an impact weapon. If you don't spot them drawing on you you are not paying attention as you should. If you do you should have time to react, either to take evasive action or to counter. Hell, the option of throwing things like the baton is even there. If he is attacking with a rifle there is not a whole lot you can do anyway since he can be far enough away so you cannot see him and even if you do are out of the reach of a handgun. Maybe easier to defend with a handgun, but IMO not impossible to defend with another tool.

You are right, we have probably moved beyond the original topic. However, I think it is good discussion. If it should be taken to another thread thats ok with me.

Clearly, we have progressed from my original questions that began this thread...:)

Obviously, one must weigh the risks and benefits in deciding what to carry and where. To me, the risk of being jailed for illegally carrying a pistol, thereby losing many things, among them the ability to carry legally in my home state, unaccosted by the law is simply too much. I don't travel much. It's no trick for me to be able to carry 360+ days of the year (legally). Plus, as reasonable as I believe it to be to carry a gun, I think (at least in the circumstances of my own life) the chance of running afoul of the law if carrying illegally is much greater than that of actually needing said gun... However, it's not illegal for me to carry at work, and I'll be happy to follow the rules (or no rules, as is the case!) as soon as they are made known to me. The chance of getting caught by work administration seems small. The consequences of getting caught
also are relatively small (getting fired at absolute worst, and I truly don't believe that would happen, for a number of reasons. A weapons policy would probably be born, however.) So on I carry. When I'm in another situation, I'll just have to re-evaluate it.

Now, all this stuff about carrying illegally. Not worth it to me (as I've already said.) If I have a green light from the law (as I do), believe me, I'll use it. I'd understand why you'd want to but...

Maybe I'm being delusional here, but (environmental awareness aside) concentrated, vicious, assault 2 style empty hand skills and knives (legal ones) in the statistical world of fights involving weapons strike me as being *quite possibly* very effective.

Here's why: (I'm sure my statistics are a little bit off, but close, and they get the point across)

Most of these encounters take place at a range of less than ten feet. This is a range at which a knife or other hand held weapon and empty hand skills are very much part of the equation. You may say, "well, I'd still rather have a gun." I would too. They CAN (but don't always) afford the user more relative safety than a contact-distance weapon. But a knife can get the job done too. In the hypothetical situation of a person already having a gun on you, you're going to have to do something else first anyway...You can't beat his hammer dropping with any weapon presentation (knife, gun, or otherwise.) You're going to have move, run, attack empty-handed, seek cover, etc...IF you choose to take the VERY iffy proposition of moving against a firearm that's already on target/you. Knives/eye gouges/throat crushing simply take more guts and will to use effectively than guns.

As to the rights of free speech and firearms....Free speech is necessary to a free society, and so is the ability to back up your speech if needed (in this day and age, that means firearms.) But I do agree with Sierra that it's simply a matter of the recognition of reality to see that we live in a land of laws, and there are a lot of people whose job it is to punish us if we break them, no matter what we think our rights SHOULD BE. However, I can really see how you'd want to carry regardless. And yes, I am experiencing hardware addiction (I just got a new Glock 27, and since I can carry it legally, I sure as hell want to!)

Many thanks to all for the views, thoughts, and input.

:)

Back