seal knife 2000

SIRGALANT

BANNED
all bulls__t aside is the seal 2000 a good knife? thinking of purchasing one next saturday , along with a powerlock if my local knife dealer has one . cheers

I don't own a SEAL 2000, but the overwhelming majority of remarks I have ever heard about the SEAL 2000 has been very positive. I think it is a good knife, going by what I have heard and read.

Of course there are going to be some negative remarks, there are on almost every knife I have ever heard or read about.

I usually try to average positive/negative remarks of what I have seen, read or heard on any knife I am considering buying. By doing this I think I can narrow the odds down.

If I read lots of complaints about fit and finish, this tells me something could be wrong with other vital components of the knife, so I usually forget about it. I make these deductions by doing a search on the knife forums and one or more of the major search engines on the internet.

It gets harder when you find peoples experiences/opinions are split half and half, then you have to take a chance. Of course these are all my opinions, others will probably have different ways to choose a knife.

Robbie Roberson ;)

all bull aside.....

on the positive side:
1) it's a SOG.
2) it's not a whirly kinda thingie that'll poke & cut ya if yer not careful.
3) it takes a great razory-sharp edge.
4) it's long enough to make a superb Prime Rib slicer.
5) it's short enough to make an eye-catching dinner knife (i.e., Tactical Tableware).

now, on the negative side:
a) it won't sharpen itself.
b) it'll slice ya up really good (er, bad) if yer not careful.
b) uh, please gimme some more time, I'll think of something else....

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. ya can't go wrong.

New Pig Hunter said:
all bull aside.....

on the positive side:
1) it's a SOG.
2) it's not a whirly kinda thingie that'll poke & cut ya if yer not careful.
3) it takes a great razory-sharp edge.
4) it's long enough to make a superb Prime Rib slicer.
5) it's short enough to make an eye-catching dinner knife (i.e., Tactical Tableware).

now, on the negative side:
a) it won't sharpen itself.
b) it'll slice ya up really good (er, bad) if yer not careful.
b) uh, please gimme some more time, I'll think of something else....

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. ya can't go wrong.

Thats a nice summary but some information on the rusting/up-keeping of the knife will be useful though. :)

i love my seal pup . thats why i want the seal 2000 , although it will cost me 235 aussie dollars

SIRGALANT said:
why , does it rust? or do you mean thats all he left out?

Well I'm from Singapore, and some of those who are in Asia say that the AUS8 steel rusts in the equatorial climate if you do not maintain it frequently.

But most importantly, don't let the negative comments get to you, or you'll never end up buying a knife! (Haven't found a perfect knife yet).

Go for it! :thumbup:

I've got a Seal 2000 and I love it, haven't had a single issue with it. I've taken it camping and split wood with it, I've taken it hunting and field dressed deer with it. Its a great knife, I definately recommend it.

I wouldn't worry too much about rusting and such. It is a stainless steel, which means it is less-inclined to rust because of the chromium content.

Just keep the SEAL 2000 hosed down with oil and you'll be OK. By "oil" I mean some type of rust-preventative such as WD-40 or DuraLube or something like that.

It's a great knife !!!

Cheers,

Carl

nutz_about_knives said:
Well I'm from Singapore, and some of those who are in Asia say that the AUS8 steel rusts in the equatorial climate if you do not maintain it frequently.

But most importantly, don't let the negative comments get to you, or you'll never end up buying a knife! (Haven't found a perfect knife yet).

Go for it! :thumbup:

Ah the seal series is Aus 6 btw

Hi Sirgalant!

Not sure if I am too late with my posting as by now you may have already bought the SEAL 2000. I have been away from the forums for a few weeks which is why I missed this post.

The SEAL 2000 was my introduction to SOG knives and had been on my wish list for many years. I first read about it years ago in Combat and Survival Magazine over here in the UK. They were reviewing the knife as it was at that point undergoing the tests to become the official SEAL knife (Shows you how long ago that was!). From the tests that were carried out in that review I knew I wanted that knife.

Then recently I started hanging out here on Blade Forums trying to gauge opinion etc. What I was seeing certainly encouraged me.

Now after all the years of wanting I finally have the privilage of owning one and all I can say is WOW!

The knife has surpassed all of my expectations and hopes.

It is fantastically well made and feels very solid and reassuringly heavy in the hand. The finish and fit of all the components leaves nothing to be desired. On my particular knife I can honestly say that the sharpness out of the box was frightening! As for the comments about rust, I have owned and used this knife for about 4 months now and in that time I have never had a problem with rust. I have never even seen the signs of rust formation beginning!

I could go on at great length about how much I love this knife but I think you get the picture by now. In fact I am seriously considering getting another one at some point in case anything happens to my beloved SEAL!

If you haven't already bought it I would strongly suggest you buy one as soon as you are able. You will not be disappointed :)

Loupe,

now there's a breadth of actual experience that syncs with mine. The SEAL 2000 was one of the first two SOG's I bought and I've never been disappointed. I sold that knife awhile back to a pal in UT who desperately needed it.
Then I got lucky earlier this year and picked up another one..... couldn't do without !!

And a pal of mine up in WA state bought 2 of 'em as dive knives. He's plenty impressed.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. I was hoping I could find my original post here at BF about it, but alas, if it's out there in cyberspace I can't find it.

i haven`t bought one yet as i have had tools to buy as an apprentice panel beater , but i assure you i will get one , as i wish to collect all the seal knives. after the seal 2000 i will buy the ontario knife used as a seal knife before the sog seal 200 replaced it , then a mission knife. thanks for your opinions i would have replied but been so busy .

regards

SIRGALANT

That knife on "Lost" is the Tigershark... I know this for certian beacuse I sent it to them. I actually talked to Terry O'Quinn on the phone about it and he is a great guy.

Chris

Back