seal pup and seal pup elite

I personally think SOG's in general suck. I only own one. I bought it online. The second I took it out of the sheath, I decided I'd never buy a SOG again.

ok razorback , then why are you in the sog forum? go back to your collection of united cutlery :)

Take no notice of razorback....

I own quite a few SOGs and the quality of the knife is excellent.. the SEAL pup is a stunner. Either one will serve you well..

Since I've never handled those two SOG's side by side, I can't say which I'd recommend more... Though here is some food for thought; The Seal Pup has AUS-6 steel with a powder coating which will give you some better curosive resistance. The Elite has a more durable and IMO a more atractive finish, and AUS-8 steel, so it will hold an edge a bit longer.

I like the classic shape of the Seal Pup, but the specs on the Elite are even nicer. I'd say, try to handle both and deside after that. If you can't handle first, get which one you like the pics of more. Or if in more salt water IE dive knife uses go with the Pup, for camp knife go with the Elite. Or just buy both.

Heber

Well I am just going to mainly use it for camping this summer and I want a nice knife to gut trout and maybe use thought the year. I have heard many complements about the sheath, does it really suck. How well will it hold and edge also should I buy a sharpening kit for it? I need something new since my last S&W extreme ops knife now is starting to fall apart.

I have a Seal Pup which I use for trout fishing, it's great, highly recommended. Save your money and get the standard.

one thing about SOG is they come razor sharp.I can not think of a better knife for back packing and cleaning small fish.I also like the standard seal pup with the powder coat finish.As for the sheath I ordered a sheath from Erik on this forum for my seal 2000 and it fits like a glove.It is not bulky and complaments the knife.
Patrick James

I have the SEAL Pup and have found it to be a very good knife. Lots of complaints about the sheath, but I find it a good sheath -- I have the old style, not the grove. The major complaint is that there is a clip for attaching to vertical webbing which gets in the way. Also, SOG will be shipping a new nylon sheath which looks very nice.

Hope this helps,

Scottsman

A few years back Spencer had a batch of Green Tactical Nylon sheaths made for the Seal Pup that also fix some other knives. I was lucky enough to get one of those sheaths. According to the SOG website, they are now making them again, this time in black. The Seal Pup Elite cmoes with a Kydex or Nylon sheath as an option. Wouldn't be suprised if it was the same one that comes with the Seal Pup.

Don't get the Seal 2000 sheath for the Pup's. Even if the sheath works, it won't be a good fit. The Seal 2000 is quite a bit bigger all the way around compaired to either of the Pups.

Heber

Just bought a Seal Pup at Cabela's this last saturday... this knife is awesome!!! :)
icon14.gif
I'll probably post some pictures of it soon...

Looking for a good dive knife. Do I understand you guys correctly, is the elite not a good knife for salwater diving? What about the pup with the straight edge? Would that be better? Also would I have to get a different ankle sheath to carry it there. Any help appreciated.

yeah I bought the seal pup elite and the power lock I like both of them alot. thanks guys

Hey hangin11100,
As far as knives go a lot of the other guys here are probably a lot more experienced than I am, but as a fellow diver I think you could do worse than the Pup Elite, if you can get it attached to your gear. The serrations would work well against nylon line ( I caught up in some 100lb test in Hawaii a few months back and I hate it...To hell with fish eat the d***n fishermen). But I digress. This is also one time when the Kydex sheath would be an advantage. It's a convenient size and as previously mentioned comes incredibly sharp. The steel will rust quickly if not taken care of though. Personally I think if you coated it with a light coat of Marine Tough Cloth before and after the dives and rinsed it relatively soon after it would work fine.

Lagarto

hey there,
I don't personally own one, but two of my buddies (one who is headed to EOD school in a month and one who is headed to TBS to become a USMC officer), both bought the knife and absolutely love it. They've both used it for diving and they say the TiNi coating holds up really well. I'm actually thinking about getting one for a buddy who's been selected to be a SEAL.

Back