seal pup

SIRGALANT

BANNED
i have a sog seal pup and would like to hear your stories on said knife ; its strengths , weaknesses , what it excells at etc.

Ijust bought my first SOG field knife this weekend; it was a SEAL pup. I, too, would like to know more about this beauty.
I found some NIB at a small shop in the woods in PA. They had the old styyle sheath, with the belt clip. I grabbed one for me, and one as a gift for a buddy.
So far, it has cut pepperoni and cheese, and my Wife used it to repair/mutilate a tent wall.

Wow, absolutely no comments on this model at all.
Perhaps we bought the only 2?

probably becos they are so good nothing needs to be said, from what ive read that could well be the case

I bought the Seal Pup lasts fall. I got the nylon case and carry a S60 PowerLock in the pouch. Its a great duo. I does just about everything I need to do when backpacking and camping. I also have a Seal 2000 and a TigerShark. The S2K is my most favorite knife of all times! I carry it in a BlackHawk sheath. I had to modify the kydex liner to fit. The serrations are just a bit too big. The TigerShark is a BIG knife. I don't usually care it unless I've some serious bush to twack. My only complaint with the Pup is that the handle is a bit small. Just my 2 cents worth.

BTW, the Seal Pup has been reported to be the best seller to Marines in San Diego.

-- BlueOrca

ok , thanks for your opinion i really love my seal pup , i collect SERIOUS , useable knives , and it was refreshing to find a compact sized fixed blade that could actually be used that has a bowie blade

Hey all,

I love my M37. It is great for tough jobs and feels neither too large or too small in hand. Keeps it's edge extremely well. I also own the SEAL 2000 (had to have both) but much prefer the weight of the Seal Pup for day-to-day activities.

-- David

I really like my seal pup, but I worry about how heavy duty a blade it is.
The size is great, and I like the classic shape of the blade. Eventually, I will probably pick a full size one up on one of my trips to Cabela's. The only thing that i do not like on the new models is the kydex sheath design. i was happy to find my pup with the old style sheath at a out-of-the-way store in rural PA.
I did tiger stripe my sheath with tan military paint, just to break up the overall 'blackness' that was going on. The sheath took the paint very well.

Blueorca,
Thanks for the blackhawk sheath idea.
I ended up making a leather inside-the-pants shreath for my pup, but the larger blade would severely tax my limited abilities.

I bought the SOG seal put about a year ago and can tell you it was a great investment. It has light chopping ability but is great for all around chores. When the jobs to small for my tigershark i take my seal pup :D . I have never seen ANY kind of corrosion on my blade and it has been in and out of water many times and SOG says it passed their 2 week salt water submursion test. Great Knife.

Good words being said about the Seal Pup. I have the Seal 2000 and am considering getting the Pup too.

I bought a 2nd hand Pup from e-bay which was scratched and battered. I've rubbed all the paint off, resharpened and sharpened the false egde.
All I can say is 'what a great knife'.
Don't be afraid to use it, it soaks up punishment. I gutted 2 trout, took the heads off with out any problem.
Best knife I've used for field work, not to big not to small, and in use for teeth are excellent.
A excellent knife!!!

i just bought a seal 2000! damn i want a sheath that piggy backs my pup to my seal 2000

My son has one. The serrations and large ricaso I don't care for but the ergonomics are perfect. The steel is AUS-6A and sharpens up like a dream.(The earlier ones were marketed as 440A but were really AUS-6A). The sheath is the first run cordura but could really use a reinforced bottom if used by paratroopers. I understand that the newer sheaths are kydex and it's ok to jump with that material. The SEAL Pup seems to sell very well. I can see why. Nice knife. I noticed that ACE hardware now sells them for a great price.

Back