Sebanza owners....Why did you sell yours??

Lightweight sold his sebenza and asked what coud be bought for
less that might be as good. Ok, that's one question being answered
now. What I've noted over time here is that fella's rave about their
Sebnza then wind up selling it. If it's such a very good knife why
would anyone that owned one sell it??

If you've ever owned then sold your Sebenza please comment .

Tightwad -

I've bought 2 and sold 2; one large plain and one small classic.

The large plain was the first - I bought that when I was first starting out in knives. It was obvious even to me then that it was a stout, well-made folder. However, I had not been into knives long enough to really appreciate the Sebenza's qualities versus other production knives.

The small classic was the second. I was able to appreciate its qualities vice other production knives, but I wasn't quite ready to settle for the "one" knife yet. Needed money for other things so, off she went.

Matthew

There must have been a misunderstanding(is that right?). I have never owned a Sebenza but am planning on getting one. I was asking if there were other alternatives before I spent all that money on a small Sebenza;) :)

I sold a small plain, to raise funds for a wood inlay. So in that case I used it to trade up.

I tried to trade my small Sebby for a Large because I thought it would fit my hand better, but decided not to because I like the small too much:)

I'll never sell my Sebenza's. They are without doubt, my favorites. Will pass them to my son when I die.

Another angle on this story is that (based on reading the CRK forum) quite a few folks (like me) own more than one. My guess is the need for cash overcomes the desire to hold on to the "spares".

Brent...
:p

My first Sebenza was a 1999 Small wood inlay with Madrone Burl.

Second was small MM classic, plain.

Third was 2001 Small wood inlay with Maple Burl.

Sold off the 1999 Small Madrone Burl, The 2001 Maple Burl has better wood.

Fourth was 2000 Umfaan, purchased used from friend. This is for sale to finance a new Large classic wood inlay.

Fifth was Mnandi with Lacewood inlays.

Sixth was Small regular with CGG Pheasant Tail fly design.

Seventh will be new Large classic wood inlay.

Presently have five with one for sale and searching for replacement to Umfaan.

I will also be selling off the BM and Spyde small collection, I just do not carry them any more with Sebenza taking main interest.

Regards,
FK

I sold my one and only Sebenza this past Monday for one reason, and one reason only. I needed money to get something that I wanted more. I have nothing but praise for them, great knives.

I bought a plain Large Sebenza and had CRK anodize it with the "Trailing Moon" design. It was my daily carry for a year or so.

Eventually I realized that, as much as I liked it, it wasn't quite what I wanted. So I spent some time figuring out exactly what I did want. Then I sold my Sebenza so I could afford to have my "perfect" knife built.

I suspect that the Sebenza is a "gateway" knife for a lot of people. Once you get used to a Sebbie the only reasonable next step is to commission a custom. ;)

--Bob Q

I currently own an Umfaan that I picked up in a trade and I bought a Mnandi. I have also owned Sebenzas, both large and small. The reason I don't mind selling a Sebenza is that it is an easy way to raise cash for a custom if I want one or to just raise quick cash. If I decide to get another one, I can easily pick one exactly like the one I had before because I only carry the plain variety.

It appears then, that indeed the notion--that so many Sebenzas are being sold because of some deficiency--can be laid to rest.
Nice testimonials, all of you Sebenza owners, to the quality of Reeves' knives. I never owned one, but have read a lot about them and handled them in B & M stores. If I hadn't jumped straight from factory to customs I'm sure I would have spent some time with Mr. Reeves' products.

I have had 2 large sebenzas. one regular and one flat ground large one.

I'm just too into the wave, and with the framelock commander i got, i have all the sebebzas benifits and a wave, so the BG-42 or SV30 just doesnt matter that much to me.

If i didn't come across waved knives, i'd be a sebenza person...
or maybe a reese weiland person, cause he does SOLID framelocks with cooler blades like the wasp, a 4 inche ats-34 hawkbill on a TI froamlock with a damascus handleplate.

i still think a sebenza is a very nice knife. its just that i think of them as trade fodder rather than a knife i want to be using.

As others have said, they're relatively easy to replace if you favor the plain versions, and when another knife calls out to you they are often an easy source of knife-money.

I yearn for one when I have none, enjoy them while I have them, and miss them when they're gone. But, that's never stopped me from selling one to finance something else...

I have a large plain classic, I think. If I sold knives, I would probably sell this one. I've never sold a knife before and am not sure that I will start. My Sebenza just sits somewhere collecting dust..Poor Sebenza, I used think that it was the perfect knife. Don't get me wrong, it is a fine production knife, I just like my TNT better.

S.

I too prefer the TNT and I own 6 small Sebenzas, a 2000 curly maple inlay, a 2001 redwood inlay, a 2001 black walnut inlay with ladder damascus blade, a trailing moon CGG, a NICA tanto and a plain. I really don't want to sell, I like them all.:D :cool: :D

I sold my Large Sebenza because I upgraded into custom knives. I'm awaiting my Carson Model 4.

Lightweight, yep, I got it wrong that you owned a sebanza.
I think in this case it will be Ok due to the honest informative
reponses from Sebenza owners. The information gathered will
help those interested in Sebenza make an informed dicision when
the want to buy one. So guy's keep the responses coming.......

I would never sell mine, perhaps a trade for a different model, but never sell. Some things are just more important than money. The CRK is one of those to me. No matter how skint I am!:)

Back