Sebenza 1st timer- for anyone else thinking about it here were some surprises

I am probably going to "catch and release" the Tanked small Sebenza I just got. I cleaned it up and thinking maybe I shouldn't even touch up the edge, I know collectors of these things get fussy. In the meantime, I wanted to post some thoughts, although it's been done a million times, because I have a pretty eclectic collection now. And questions- just a few someone who is really into these might help with...

So first of all, these are so much smaller than I imagined. In the hand, it's not much more than a Lil Native. I don't have giant paws, but it's hard to understand just why these gained the popularity they did based on this alone. Second biggest surprise was that the thumb stud is in no way perfect although my hand fits along the frame as its designed. It almost feels like it's about 15 degrees more acute of an angle than it should be to feel natural.

Good things- the blade is very well polished. the spine is beautifully rounded all the way down. The blade itself shows perfect satin to high polish and a quick strop on some Cordovan brought the edge back to at least shaving though not popping sharp.

The graphic is well done, but mine has the tiniest of scuffs- only for the absolute most anal collector is this anything even slightly annoying, but customer service said they couldn't do anything about it though it's literally probably a micron 'deep'. I asked just out of curiosity.

All in all, I'm really on the fence whether or not to keep this for collector's sake (besides a Strider, I have what I would consider probably the half dozen grails for most people). It's hard to gauge whether these graphics models will gain value over time. In the last like 5 years I think there has only been about 2 dozen small Tanked Sebenzas in the classifieds. What do you guys think that collect? Holding onto it for a few years likely to see a gain in value? I believe as a gold member we are allowed to ask for ballpark numbers, though I would have posted in the Reeves area if this was my main aim here.

The thumbstud was what really got to me. It's really smooth, just not at an angle that's really optimal, and I say this from owning hundreds of knives and handling thousands.

I acknowledge not much new has been said here, but for those that are considering Hinderers vs. CRK for example I am putting my .02 in. Not bashing it, but I'm definitely puzzled why they are so enormously popular. Unlike a Rolex, probably 1 person in a million would recognize a Sebenza sticking out of your pocket as a status symbol.
So besides maybe a comment on the questions above, if you are really a superfan, what is it that makes YOU love them so much?

I don’t own a Sebenza but I recently handled one. It felt nice enough, but I think $350-$400 is a bit steep for what you get. This is only my opinion and is in no way implying that they aren’t high quality knives. Personally, if I had $400 to spend on a folder, CRK wouldn’t be at the top of my list.

The small is definitely small. I handled one at a local shop and was immediately turned off by the small. The large, however, is like SERIOUSLY good sized. But that's also a major price jump. $75 dollar difference for most retailers. Is it worth it? Totally up to the individual. I've never made the leap into Sebenza territory but I want to but only for the large. But everyone's tastes are different. There are a ton of people who prefer the small.

I carry a large 21 quite a bit. It cuts stuff, sharpens easily, is easy to maintain, and is made by a respectable American company. The Sebenza isn’t going out of style, and it will be a solid option for years to come. It’s not perfect for everyone, but for me it just works. I try not to overthink it and just cut stuff.

EmzP3zA.jpg

I bought my CRK, a Large Inkosi, because of the fit and finish. It was a bucket list knife that I promised myself I would buy when I finished my business degree after an over 15 year hiatus.

I think if you nitpick them to death, they really won't be "worth" what you pay. The blade steel is not top of the line for 2020, the frame lock that Reeve came up with decades ago is obviously a bit dated, the thumb studs dont work for everyone.

But that doesnt matter. The feel, the ideal of what they aspire to be, and how the tolerances are tighter than NASA, all things that drive the desire. And yes, some folks may get a little overly aggressive when it comes to defending the Sebenza or any CRK, but every brand has its fans.

For me, the Inkosi stood heads and shoulders above what I was settling for at the $350 price point. Bumping up just another hundred bucks made all the difference. I dont think I can go back to a less quality knife and feel as satisfied. The fit, finish, and simple yet rugged build makes it a knife that will last. When I carry it it will always remind me of a hard earned achievement, and I know the quality of the workmanship means that it is a knife that could ride along on life's adventures for decades to come.

It's not the "best" out there in every category, but like a lot of mature brands, I'm not sure that's the point or niche they fill anymore. I see CRK as the knife you graduate to before stepping into truly higher end stuff. Not that more expensive knives are inherently better nor that CRK are just "OK" for $450, but when you get to that level of quality, it really is something different.

As a guy that carries and uses what he buys, I'm completely happy with my CRK purchase.

The smalls are popular...uhm...among people who like small knives.

Personally, I find the smalls just large enough to be widely useful for EDC purposes. I really like them.

Agreed the thumb stud could be better, But it’s not that big of a deal for me personally. I’m not one who is a habitual fidgeter.

Last edited:
I own two CRK Insingo 21s: a large plain jane and a small black micarta. They are, by far, my preferred 'regular carry' one-handers. To me, they represent all that I want in a folder and nothing I don't. All the fat is trimmed from the steak, so to speak, and I find a certain elegance to the simplicity. My appreciation only grows over time as I use, carry and maintain my CRKs.

I don't really care for many of CRK's Unique Graphic variants, though.

YMMV

I carried my large micarta Insingo today and I like the knife just fine. The thumbstud is poorly designed and the cult of fans can be a little nutty, but there's really no denying that they're good knives. A bit simple, boring maybe, but perfectly functional and definitely well made.

I own a couple of Sebenza 21's the larger size though, I stayed away from smaller 21 because it really looked so small! I have heard people say wish that CRN's would make a sebenza middle size folder! but that will probably never happen, but the larger 21 fits my hand like a glove, anyway the smaller 21 is like almost the same price!! something I never understood :confused:

I am so surprised at this thread. I thought for sure that the Sebbie brotherhood would be here by now blasting anyone that wasn't cheering the knife, taking each post a sentence at a time apart to apply heavy snark and defensive sarcasm to defend the brand. Is this still BF?

While everyone is still on best behavior (bravo STEELY GUNZ for another great post) I will take an opportunity to express myself as well.

I don't get the Sebenza at the price. Handled and examined several up close, and no doubt they are a well made, well designed product. No doubt that they are made for years of reliable service, regardless of whether their designs reflect today's trends or their steels are no longer "premium" by today's standards. Since I buy work knives at this point in my end days of buying knives, they are too small (yep, the big guy, too) for me, and the slender metal handles, even with the added panels are too small for me to grip well. For reference I like my CS Ultimate Hunter, ZT 0909, CS Bush Ranger, and a couple of that size Kershaws for work.

So with handles that are a bit small with it being too slender in my hand for work (disappearing when wearing work gloves), handles that are slick when I am really dripping sweat, and OK steel, they just aren't for me. The pricing is the kill shot...

Robert

I like the smalls but it is certainly a matter of choice
As for the Tanked-It is not my favorite CGG, but any CGG with even a remotely patriotic theme seems to do well in the secondary market.
I have no problems with the thumb studs, but they took a little getting used to on my 1st.

18a4d627db6f572f3c3a36c7a2ec65fbbfcbfde6.jpg

I was a little disappointed at how hard mine was to open at first, but over time it's become butter smooth. I've had to lower my sharpening angle quite a bit a few times to "knock the shoulder back" on the secondary bevel and that consequently, mistakingly, smoothed the thumb stud out and made it a little more comfortable. I think CRKs get better with time.

In other words I love my Small 21 and would never sell it off but I completely understand the gripes people have with them. My girlfriend hates my Small 21 but she loves her Large Inkosi.

I carried my large micarta Insingo today and I like the knife just fine. The thumbstud is poorly designed and the cult of fans can be a little nutty, but there's really no denying that they're good knives. A bit simple, boring maybe, but perfectly functional and definitely well made.

Pocket knifes are full of compromises, and this is one of them. If I want to maximize for ease of one handed opening, I don't care for any thumb stud knife, I grab one of my Spydercos with the large opening hole or a good flipper. What the Sebenza thumb stud does better than other thumb stud designs: it is less likely to hang up in the material being cut, less likely to snag on my pants seams and does not produce undue wear when using a slip sheath.

I bought a LG 21 and a small inkosi....love the 21 but not the small inkosi so much. The thumb studs are impossible to open lefty on the inkosi...major drawback. I don't think they are all their cracked up to be and quite frankly not worth the price of admission.

I bought a small Knife Arts Carbon Fiber Inkosi Insingo. It is impressively overbuilt and undersized. I cannot use the thumb stud. The geometry is too small for my hands. I'll put it up for sale when the coronadust settles.

I used to hate Sebenzas, overpriced grey turds that didn't feel good.

Then I found the small Sebenza and the graphics. It's not a grey turd with the colors and graphics. For me the small fits me well, the thumbstud's not perfect, but neither is the Spyie hole, the Terzuola disk or the Emerson wave. The high hollow grind was popularized by Chris. Until Onion's Fieldstrip, it was the only knife designed and sold to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed by anyone. Chris helped develop the steel in it and the heat treat. It's a good premium steel.

The Sebenza by Chris (not the 31) is a "design concept" a total package from one guy, not many knives like that.

Sebenza is not for everyone, for sure. First time buyers be prepared that you will likely get a meh when the knife arrives. However, it may grow on you over time. I got a used large PJ Sebenza a few years ago. Even after the CRK spa treatment, I was still not impressed. Sold it. Recently I bought two with inlays (that's more than $1k in total). They are good knives but I see no point to worship the brand given the price point.

As for small Sebenza, as soon as I saw a picture of it next to a large, I immediately dismissed it. Too small for me and I will never buy one no matter how good the price is.

Back