Sebenza 21 2 weeks old I’m sick

My 13 year old son left his Schrade flipper on the work bench so I thought i would do him a favor and sharpen it for him on my 4 dollar Harbor freight wet stone. long story short I turned it into a folding butter knife. That cost me 8 bucks but it was a good lesson for him not to leave his stuff on dad's work bench. On a serious note i'm glad you grandson didn't catch the edge the wrong way and you should ask if they can give you a discount on a replacement blade. Why not ask? it cost nothing to ask

I’m new to this forum so this may be a stupid question but who’s Josh and does he make blades for different knives?

REK Knives REK Knives aka Josh, he started out as a sharpener, moved into modifying/pimping (changing anodizing and such), then went on to regrinding/changing the shape/profile of the original blade, then moved to reblading / making a copy of the original blade shape but in a new steel (for example instead of S30V on a Benchmade he made the same exact blade but in 20CV), then moved into making his first custom knife.
His work costs a fair bit of money but in turn you get a good product in a reasonable timeframe from a reliable person. (I hope I got that at least right, I am sure he'll pop in and correct me and throw stuff at me if need :p )

Why is everyone worried about the kid?

4KvN4Ot.gif

REK Knives REK Knives aka Josh, he started out as a sharpener, moved into modifying/pimping (changing anodizing and such), then went on to regrinding/changing the shape/profile of the original blade, then moved to reblading / making a copy of the original blade shape but in a new steel (for example instead of S30V on a Benchmade he made the same exact blade but in 20CV), then moved into making his first custom knife.
His work costs a fair bit of money but in turn you get a good product in a reasonable timeframe from a reliable person. (I hope I got that at least right, I am sure he'll pop in and correct me and throw stuff at me if need :p )
Nah you got it about right ;):)

Why is everyone worried about the kid? I had a knife when I was 10. Bought it myself. No one thought that was child abuse. The kid just tried to sharpen it. I've known adults who ruined a blade trying to sharpen it.

Too bad the blade was damaged. That I get.

Oh yeah I’ve ruined a few lol and I got my first knife around that age too, but now we live in a world where the p****s outnumber the real men and women. Hell, you can’t even smoke a cigarette in a building anymore.... anyway I’ve cut myself many times, nothing a bandaid can’t fix lol... unless we’re talking about a machete thatd be different.
Glad he is ok tho btw

Life lesson for both you and the young man. Some hurt a little, but that is all part of learning.
Unlikely they will give a break on the blade. Pretty much any blade replacement that doesn't fall under warranty is due to some screw up.

*stops ducking* Good to hear. :thumbsup: Did you do any Sebenza blades already?
Not yet, had a couple inquiries... But the easiest thing for most people to do is send back to crk for a replacement blade for $100 IIRC, so the demand isn't that high, especially when a reblade I would make is almost the cost of the knife lol.

I'm curious to see what the blade looks like. I can't imagine it's not something a decent sharpener can fix for less than those 150$. I mean "tried to sharpen" doesn't sound like he smashed the edge on concrete, and it's more like really scratched up, nothing that needs a blade entirely replaced, hence I am curious.

This is what I ve been thinking the whole thread (to this point). How bad did your grandson damage the blade that it can t be sharpened and used?
If the knife is going to be used for anything more than mild edc and display, why not just have it sharpened and taken care of by CRK, and use it while you decide if you want to save up for a new blade.

Why is everyone worried about the kid? I had a knife when I was 10. Bought it myself. No one thought that was child abuse. The kid just tried to sharpen it. I've known adults who ruined a blade trying to sharpen it. . . .
Heck, I've 'ruined' blades while I was learning to sharpen. It happens, but they were relatively cheap and could be made usable again. :)

My kids (5 & 7) will work with knives in the kitchen and outdoors partially supervised -- meaning, my wife or I will get them setup with a project and check on them every 5-10 minutes to make sure they don't need advise and are being fairly safe. We've used a few band-aids, but nothing serious because they have been taught knife safety (don't touch the thin side, or throw it, or stab anything, or work too close to someone else, etc). They even use sharp steak knives at dinner, if we need them -- granted, with mixed success.

A 10 year old should be fine with a knife, even if their sharpening skills need work.
Personally, I see an opportunity here for some great grandpa/grandson time while having sharpening lessons - which could be a win-win and a way to build some close bonds.

Good luck with the repairs/re-profiling.

I don't think you're going to get a free replacement from CRK; I also have a messed up blade laying around (not a CRK though) BUT maybe prevent future stuff like that and show your grandson how to do it properly on a really cheap knife (old kitchen knife, opinel etc.) how to do it properly)(if he's old enough of course).

Heck, I've 'ruined' blades while I was learning to sharpen. It happens, but they were relatively cheap and could be made usable again. :)

My kids (5 & 7) will work with knives in the kitchen and outdoors partially supervised -- meaning, my wife or I will get them setup with a project and check on them every 5-10 minutes to make sure they don't need advise and are being fairly safe. We've used a few band-aids, but nothing serious because they have been taught knife safety (don't touch the thin side, or throw it, or stab anything, or work too close to someone else, etc). They even use sharp steak knives at dinner, if we need them -- granted, with mixed success.

A 10 year old should be fine with a knife, even if their sharpening skills need work.
Personally, I see an opportunity here for some great grandpa/grandson time while having sharpening lessons - which could be a win-win and a way to build some close bonds.

Good luck with the repairs/re-profiling.
I agree. It does depend on their maturity level too. My 11 year old has and carries around a manix with him. I got him some cut proof gloves when needed but really hammered the safety when he was younger and how to use.

Yep, although I too am very happy to hear the boy is fine, I would expect him to be if he were in my household. I have a 4 year old daughter and a 6 year old son, and both of them are already educated about sharp knives. We do not hide them from the kids, there is a knife block sitting right on the counter full of blazing sharp knives. The kids know full well not to touch them. Their grandmother was very impressed a few weeks ago when my daughter saw a sharp knife that Grandpa had used sitting on the table and when she saw it there she immediately came and told Grandma "There's a sharp knife on the table Grandma, please put it away."

Education is so much better than deprivation. I have had the kids helping put dishes into and out of the dishwasher since slightly after they could walk - and I wash the lowly serrated knives in there. I taught them from the start that any knives that were point-down were very sharp and could cut them and give them an owwie. So do not touch those. Daddy or Mommy will handle them. It has worked beautifully.

I hope the O.P. gets his knife taken care of with a discount, that would be a nice gesture.

Yeah I’ve taught him about knife safety several times and he’s even watched me sharpen quite a few knives. I guess he just thought if granddaddy could do it he could to. I guess if he hasn’t been taught the safety side it could have been a lot worse. He main thing is he didn’t get cut or even something worse. The materialistic things in life are nothing compared to someone’s safety and well being. It would be great if they gave me a discount but that’s not something I’m expecting. I just thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Like I said I know it’s 110% my fault. So if they do great but if not that will be fine too. I will keep buying Chris Reeve knives when I have the money.
Yep, although I too am very happy to hear the boy is fine, I would expect him to be if he were in my household. I have a 4 year old daughter and a 6 year old son, and both of them are already educated about sharp knives. We do not hide them from the kids, there is a knife block sitting right on the counter full of blazing sharp knives. The kids know full well not to touch them. Their grandmother was very impressed a few weeks ago when my daughter saw a sharp knife that Grandpa had used sitting on the table and when she saw it there she immediately came and told Grandma "There's a sharp knife on the table Grandma, please put it away."

Education is so much better than deprivation. I have had the kids helping put dishes into and out of the dishwasher since slightly after they could walk - and I wash the lowly serrated knives in there. I taught them from the start that any knives that were point-down were very sharp and could cut them and give them an owwie. So do not touch those. Daddy or Mommy will handle them. It has worked beautifully.

I hope the O.P. gets his knife taken care of with a discount, that would be a nice gesture.[/QUO

Sad story... But I’m happy for a kid! First, he is not hurt, second he lives in our century and his ass is survived :)

Seems he was fine with the knife safety end. It was his sharpening skills that were lacking. He seemed attracted to the sharpener and just had to try. He is not the 1st to mess up a knife on a new sharpener, but most of us don't start on a Sebenza. Get some cheap knives and teach him the skills and 10 to 15 years from now he will be on here telling how you taught him to do it right when he was young.

Back