Sebenza 21 disassembly question

Hello! When you guy disassemble your sebenzas do you loosen the stop pin screw a bit before removing the blade assembly or do you leave it tight? (Also for putting the blade assembly back in do you leave the stop pin screw tight or is is cracked a little loose) thanks!

Leave it tight. Look at the CRK YouTube account. There is a video done by Tim Reeve showing how to do it.

Something I never quite understood was why the “sandwich” method for assembly is frowned upon. It seems that getting a pinched washer assembling this way would be impossible. I’m sure there’s a good reason and I’m sure it’s been discussed before.

I crack it loose just a bit. I also use half a clothespin as a wedge to keep the lock bar tension off of the blade while sliding it in and out.
Oh that’s a good idea, it does put some hurt on your thumb keeping it open to slip the blade in

Something I never quite understood was why the “sandwich” method for assembly is frowned upon. It seems that getting a pinched washer assembling this way would be impossible. I’m sure there’s a good reason and I’m sure it’s been discussed before.

I don’t think it’s frowned upon as much as a fading way of knife assembly. When I take a knife apart, I’ll clean everything and apply new grease. Then, use the sandwich method to re assemble. I don’t trust myself to do it any other way :oops:

I have the stop pin screw just loose enough to where it is not tight. Maybe 1/2 a turn. Then slide in blade with washers with blade pivot bushing nice and centered. No pinched washers this way.

I have tried the “sandwich” method before, years ago. Believe it or not but for me I would end up with pinched washers more times than not. Don’t know why other than just did. So I stick to the other way. I wouldn’t say there’s a dedicated right or wrong way to do it as long as the end results are correct and it works for you.

I believe the slide in method was preferred to avoid pinched washers, since the washers are in place when you slide the blade in. I have never seen Tim's video(or any other You Tube video), but the they used to have a sticky(may still be there) suggesting the slide in method. I usually use that method, but depending on the situation may use the sandwich from time to time. I would say use what ever you are comfortable with.

I always thought one had to be total oxymoron not be able to take apart/clean and grace then put back together again! I almost cross treaded my pivot screw replacing the blade last month:eek: but I generally just loosen up the stop pin screw and remove one side of my pivot screw then the other side and slide out the blade with washers, most of the time works without a HITCH .

N
I always thought one had to be total oxymoron not be able to take apart/clean and grace then put back together again! I almost cross treaded my pivot screw replacing the blade last month:eek: but I generally just loosen up the stop pin screw and remove one side of my pivot screw then the other side and slide out the blade with washers, most of the time works without a HITCH .
Not gonna lie I didn’t understand the first half of what you said lol

I believe the slide in method was preferred to avoid pinched washers, since the washers are in place when you slide the blade in. I have never seen Tim's video(or any other You Tube video), but the they used to have a sticky(may still be there) suggesting the slide in method. I usually use that method, but depending on the situation may use the sandwich from time to time. I would say use what ever you are comfortable with.
to be honest I don't even know what a pinched washer even is or what it would look like if I did it

I have tried the “sandwich” method before, years ago. Believe it or not but for me I would end up with pinched washers more times than not. Don’t know why other than just did. So I stick to the other way. I wouldn’t say there’s a dedicated right or wrong way to do it as long as the end results are correct and it works for you.
Ok so I guess I'm so old school brother. I'm gonna give the slip and slide a try. I do the sandwich on damn near all my knives but benchmades and now that you bring this up I'm gonna add CRK to the list. I have cleaned all four the umnumzaan, inkosi and both 21's and out them back with the sandwich method. Never had a problem but I don't want a pinched washer on any of them. Not even a chance of one. So slip and slide it is.

Ok so I guess I'm so old school brother. I'm gonna give the slip and slide a try. I do the sandwich on damn near all my knives but benchmades and now that you bring this up I'm gonna add CRK to the list. I have cleaned all four the umnumzaan, inkosi and both 21's and out them back with the sandwich method. Never had a problem but I don't want a pinched washer on any of them. Not even a chance of one. So slip and slide it is.
I just finished cleaning my tanto 21. Fully disassembled it, put it back together then slid the blade, bushing and washers in with the stop pin screw just a touch loose. The grease will usually hold the washers on the blade, but this time the small washer fell on the table.
You’ll know if you have a pinched washer. Usually the action will be pretty rough or the centering will be off bad. Things just won’t seem right

Do it enough and you get the hang of it. You have to listen to your fingers while you do it otherwise, as stated, the washers will move and you’ll tighten down on and warp one/them.

Whether disassembly or assembly I loosen the stop pin screw just a tad, barely even a tad. Then while holding the washers against the blade pivot spot with thumb and index I insert the tang downward between both scales, then squeeze the scales together, still against the blade pivot spot, with my other hand, sandwiching them together thus while keeping the blade in its right place. Then I use my original/first hand to slide the blade downward until it meets the stop pin and lock bar. With the stop pin still just a tad loose, I take care of the pivot pin screw, then tighten the stop pin screw the tad it needs. The bottom screw I leave tight the entire time. Just feel and listen to your hands. If you’re forcing it or think a washer jumped out of place take a break and start over later.

to be honest I don't even know what a pinched washer even is or what it would look like if I did it
simply put- a deforming of the washer due to it not being properly seated on the bushing during assembly. Leaving you with a washer that is not perfectly flat. This will cause a binding when opening the blade.
I have never had one(knock on wood), so someone else may explain it better.

Back