Sebenza 21 disassembly question

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Tony636, Jan 13, 2020.

1. johnnytoxin

johnnytoxin Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2010
    just a heads up, the slip method is only for the 21. The sandwich method is recommended for the Zaan and Inkosi

Dcdavis and Peter Hartwig like this.
  2. Tony636

Tony636

Apr 7, 2016
    I wonder what method will be for the 31, I’d assume slip

3. johnnytoxin

johnnytoxin Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2010
    Yes, the whole reason for the slip method is the pivot bushing. The 31 has it so it will definitely be easier to assemble with the slip method.

Tony636 likes this.
  4. Gizler00

Gizler00

Feb 19, 2006
    CRK Jedi master.

South paw draw and BellaBlades like this.
  5. Don M

Don M

Apr 30, 2000
    The reason for keeping the stop pin tight and sliding the assembly in is to prevent pinching the washers. It is a snug fit, but it does go in. If the stop pin is loose the washer can slide over the bushing when you insert the assembly, and when you tighten the pivot it will pinch the washer. Do whatever works for you, but CRK recommends doing it with a tightened stop pin.

I rarely take it completely apart - mostly just remove the blade/bushing/washers to clean and lube.

Tony636 likes this.
  6. Don M

Don M

Apr 30, 2000
    I have the original cleaning instructions that were on the CRK site and on BF in 2003 in PDF format if anyone is interested.

Tony636 likes this.
  7. South paw draw

South paw draw Yep.....I'm a idiot. Platinum Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Yes please
    Rekozma at gmail. Com
    If you could email that to me that would be awesome brother

8. Tony636

Tony636

Apr 7, 2016
    Oh yeah if you could link that that would be nice!

9. Tony636

Tony636

Apr 7, 2016
    That does make sense however the pivot has to slip through all the way before you tighten down the pivot screw, so wouldn’t it all be seated after that pivot goes through fully?

10. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013

Pretty much. Like I said cracking it loose a hair works great. It's still tight at the stop pin. Just not cranked down.

The bushing and washers are often hand lapped at the factory so it can vary how things fit together.

I dont know how folks have issues with these knives lol. Just dont get it. Unless too much alcohol is involved ;)

11. Tony636

Tony636

Apr 7, 2016
    Yeah
    that’s exactly what I do I crack it loose then tighten it snug until I feel a bit of resistance then put the blade assembly in, put the pivot through, tighten the stop pin down then put the pivot screw in

BellaBlades likes this.
  12. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    The washer could still be pinched between the bushing and the scales with the pin all the way through.

Never had it happen though.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  13. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013

Exactly. It allows it to slip in just a tad easier but still snug enough to prevent a washer from coming off the bushing!

This works perfect. If you happen to have washers that were thinned out a tad too much you may not need to do this. I always prefer things to be tighter though. One of the many reasons I love the inkosi for adjustability and stagnant washers.

14. Tony636

Tony636

Apr 7, 2016
    Yeah same, and every time I take it apart and go back together I always crack the stop pin loose a little.. always goes back together smoother than before and no play ever

BellaBlades likes this.
  15. BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    You know it Jedi Brother :cool:

Gizler00 likes this.
  16. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I always do the sandwich method. Seems much more precise to me than sliding the blade assembly in, possibly knocking a washer off the bushing and then you have a pinch. But one problem I've run into with the 21 (and maybe why they recommend sliding the blade in) is that the body pins can fall out mid assembly causing a little hickup. I usually use a small tear of painters tape to keep the female body screws in long enough for me to get a screw in on the top side.

17. Tony636

Tony636

Apr 7, 2016
    If you could post that here or email it to me [email protected] that would be great