1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sebenza 21 vs Koenig Arius

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Knifeaddict556, Apr 24, 2019.

Sebenza 21 vs Koenig Arius

1. Sebenza 21

68.1%
  2. Koenig Arius

31.9%
  1. KVT

KVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2019
    2 knives I’ve never owned but really want!

2. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Do not own nor have I ever held an Arius, but I haven't read anything negative about them. They look to be a good quality knife. I work around people that are unfamiliar with higher end knives. I get asked all the time to see what a 500.00 knife looks like. Typically, I carry two knives and let people handle them while I'm watching. I carry a CRK and a flipper, either a ZT or a Shirogorov. You'd be surprised how many folks don't know how to open a flipper or realize the action of a flipper. They have no problems with the CRK, except for those that don't know how to close a frame lock. I get more comments on how well the CRK feels opening/closing the knife than any other knife I've shown to the people I work with. Of course they are willing to pony up that much money for a knife that may get lost.
    If you are the only one using the knife, get the flipper, they're a lot of fun to use. If you have other people that may ask to use your knife on occasion, get the non flipper, it's safer for them and less stress on you. But eventually, you'll have both ;)

3. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    For me? Sebenza all day long. The Arius just looks like something We Knives would make, and just seems like one of those "Hot Instagram designs of the moment (TM)", rather than a classic, sturdy design. I am sure the Arius is an absolutely quality knife (I've held and fiddled with plenty of them), but I just don't like them. When I'm in the mood to carry a knife with bearings and a flipper tab, I reach for one of my Olamics.

Sebenza for me.

Lapedog, Jazz123 and Mo2 like this.
  4. DMD08

DMD08

Jul 22, 2005
    I'm sure they're both fantastic but I'll be That Guy and say buy an Ikuchi and be happy.

5. ArchVV

ArchVV

Sep 8, 2015
    I'd go with the Sebenza. I have a 21 Tanto and it is just effortless to carry and use. If you do go this route, definitely get one with micarta!

I had an Arius for awhile, one of the earlier ones with solid slabs, and honestly rarely carried it. It was exquisitely made but it's amorphous globular shape never grabbed me aesthetically and made it hang awkwardly in my pocket. Perfect fit & finish and action though and it was fairly comfortable to hold (similar ergos to an XM-18).

Lapedog and Mo2 like this.
  6. jceckrosh

jceckrosh KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 2016
    I don't care for the Arius blade shape, so I'd say Sebenza.

7. SharpPancake

SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    I never have one of these, but I voted for Sebenza.
    At this price level, I think they both should be (and are) perfect in terms of fit and finish and general execution, but the desing of Sebenza is just more appealing to me. Your taste could be different and that is ok.
    Market is driven by people buying the knives, and if you can sell the same exact knife (Sebenza) for I dont know, 20 years? it is a testimonial of the desing.

SeppukuSamurai likes this.
  8. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Honestly the only reason I won't vote for a Sebenza myself is I loathe thumbstuds if I had a hole or grove in the blade for my thumb I would be fine but thumbstuds I just can't do.

9. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Should I date the hot brunette or the hot ginger.

Its all about preferences

Lapedog and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  10. 353

353 Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 20, 2015
    This is soooo true..

I'd say you are biased on this one, the Sebenza pocket clip is just nonpareil. :D

11. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Completely and utterly nonpareil. +1

353 likes this.
  12. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    There was a time when I wasn't so fond of that Sebbies S30V at 57-59 Hardness.
    Their adoption of S35VN at a higher hardness has restored my faith...NOT that I ever lost it....
    ...never held or owned an Arius...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  13. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I own several Sebenzas and one Arius... I am not a fan of thumb studs... I love the flipper action but I don't really carry flippers at work or around the yard... so... I will carry my S110V Millie daily and my Sebenza is for Sunday-go-to-Meetin'

Lapedog likes this.
  14. thegreatwhite

thegreatwhite Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2018
    Disagree with the nonpareil, maybe not the bias part. The finish is too grippy and when you pull it out of your pocket, you're essentially making it tighter and ripping up your jeans.

Not just the Arius clip is better. Clips like the ones on giant mouse runs, zt0450, even a spydie tenacious, I think are better clips.

15. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    I own them both.
    I've owned a Sebenza for more than 20 years. Never failed me. The Arius of course is much newer but I'm impressed.

The first one I'd buy would be the Sebenza. It's likely the EDC of the century with a time proven record of quality & service. I liken the Sebenza to the Rolex Submariner/GMT of the watch world. It may not be the latest fad, but it's unparalleled in consistency of quality & service.

That being said, the Arius is a terrific knife but requires the test of time before it can be truly compared to the Sebbie. The Koenig satisfies my itch for a more modern style EDC. And would be a great choice for your second knife.

16. SHiftFaced

SHiftFaced

Apr 25, 2019
    I guess I'll have to try both

17. bambam99

bambam99

Oct 8, 2014
    I own(ed) a couple CRK (seb 21's, inkosi, zaan) and an arius.
    I agree with the this write up its pretty bang on. Only thing I'd change is I'd give materials to arius. Different blade steel (m390, 204p, xhp) options and handle options.

I'd say look at the inkosi as well and not just the 21, for me the inkosi is preferred. Especially the CF insingo.

Both are great blades and you wont go wrong with either great craftmanship. I see the CRKs as a bit slimmer and more traditional EDC. And the arius as a more modern EDC.

I'd go with the arius over a plain 21 especially if same price..
    But I love also love CRK

thegreatwhite likes this.
  18. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    IMO it comes down to being honest with yourself. Do you really, truly want a new EDC knife or do you want a cool (fun) knife you can also carry everyday? I'm not going to sit here and pretend like knife flipping/fondling doesn't weigh in on my own decisions for a carry knife. If you are really looking for pure utility, go Sebenza. If you know you need that fidget factor, go Arius.

bambam99 likes this.
  19. JimMD

JimMD Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I agree the Arius materials are impressive. Regarding thegreatwhite's nice summary, I'll also comment on the weight and customer service. My Arius with a F scale and lightening pockets weighs 4.15 ounces, for anyone interested. Gen2, not the latest Gen3.

And regarding customer service, on one hand, CRK as a longer established and longer company, should be more likely to be around to service its knives in 20 or 30 years, although I wish Bill Koenig and his crew the greatest longevity and success. On the other hand, speaking both from personal experience and from what I've gleaned from others, Bill clearly takes personal pride in offering outstanding and personalized customer service. I've had the same experience with Holt Bladeworks. The turnaround for service may be quite a bit faster than with CRK, and Koenig will service every aspect of every knife.

I'm sure CRK's customer service is great, but I wonder if owners who've used their service could comment on a couple of things. I've heard they won't refinish just any of their handle scales but only the sandblasted ones. And that the wood inlay knives will get some level of cleaning but not refinishing. Also I'm curious about their warranty statement that they don't cover damage caused by excessive or aggressive blade flicking, or rapid opening and closing. Has anyone tested this provision or had service denied for this reason? Thanks!

bambam99 likes this.
  20. thegreatwhite

thegreatwhite Gold Member Gold Member

May 2, 2018
    Haha Let me know if you ever find a 204p...I'll buy it from you.