Votes: 33 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The clip problem:

And then we have the reports of:

- Lock stick
- Lock rock
- Overly tense lock bar

I'm willing to bet most guys that have both would keep the 21 if they had to choose, even looking away from the fact that the 21 is no longer in production.

EDIT: I still believe the 31 is a good folder, I don't own one, but I would like to handle it before I buy.

Last edited:
I can't believe it, but I just scored a new large wood inlaid 21 from an authorized dealer. When I saw it on the website, I thought it might have been a mistake, so I called to confirm. The guy told me they found a couple in the stock room. I think there is still another.

I love both the 21 and the 31. I don't think the 31 deserves some of the negative press it's gotten online.

Reactions: 353
I've got two large 31's with micarta inlays and boomerang Damascus. I haven't had any issues with either one. To me, other than the difference in the inlays, I haven't noticed any difference between the 21 and 31. The angled clip on the 31 isn't noticeable to me. I've owned a few small 21's and moved them along due to the difference in break in time for the small. To me they were a lot more difficult to break in compared to a large. However, I do have two small regulars that are smooth. One was used and the other was not used and it was a pleasure to break it in.

And then we have the reports of:

- Lock stick
- Lock rock
- Overly tense lock bar

I'm willing to bet most guys that have both would keep the 21 if they had to choose, even looking away from the fact that the 21 is no longer in production.

EDIT: I still believe the 31 is a good folder, I don't own one, but I would like to handle it before I buy.
Titanium lock bars aren’t in the same class as a knife with a lock bar interface. Certain amount of pressure or jarring forces will severely damage the Ti lock and the knife will no longer lockup like it once did. Tim Reeve clearly states this fact, he also states that he couldn’t get a 31 to spine whack fail until he hit the handle with a hammer.

For a very long time I carried a Strider SMF. I was dumb at the time and bought a lot of knives, more than anyone could ever use so I do not simply have a sample size of one or two. I also used these knives as I saw fit and I didn’t baby them. Even with moderate use I noticed the lock would change over time, even after slight break in it seemed all Strider folders would get some wiggle. Lock stick was the norm, I didn’t mind it I figured it slowed the lock from coming closed and the SMF liked to do that now and then. I only owned three CRK regulars and one came defective (long story) so I had only used two and they are amazing knives but functional wise the Inkosi (don’t have a 31) beats them.

The 21 is a great knife. It sure isn’t the best thing ever and the ceramic lock face is an improvement. Tim Reeve tells the truth, I would like to see someone stick a 31 handle in a jig and spine whack it on a hardwood surface and see if it fails or develops lock slack.

At first I had overly tense lock bar on my Large 31 and it needed more break in than my Large 21. Now that they are both super smooth I would personally pick 31 over my 21. That said they are both excellent knives.

I think I can say there’s enough difference between the feel of each model that I understand people having a preference. I’ve had multiple 21’s in both sizes and multiple 25’s. My current 31 small is the only 31 I’ve owned. The 21 is a great knife with a great history, but imo, the ceramic lock interface on the 31 is the upgrade I’ve been waiting for. If I could quickly and easily do so, I’d sell off my entire folder collection and just keep the 31. Just haven’t had a reason to carry anything else since getting it

Certain amount of pressure or jarring forces will severely damage the Ti lock and the knife will no longer lockup like it once did.
Don’t think I’ve seen a single case of CRK Ti lockface problem. I’m sure they exist, but it is extremely rare. And if it do happen, we can send it in! 😎

I've had and still do have more than my share of sebenzas and all I can say is I wish the 31 was around when mammoth ivory was an option cuz the inlay on a 31 reminds me of the inlay on the annuals (just beautiful).

I've had and still do have more than my share of sebenzas and all I can say is I wish the 31 was around when mammoth ivory was an option cuz the inlay on a 31 reminds me of the inlay on the annuals (just beautiful).

I’m with you. I much prefer the one piece inlay, but prefer the 21 to the 31

A 21 with one piece inlay is my grail CRK

I’m with you. I much prefer the one piece inlay, but prefer the 21 to the 31

A 21 with one piece inlay is my grail CRK
I need to give the one piece inlay another chance. When I compared a 21 to 31 micarta in hand, I preferred the two piece inlay bc of the interesting texture it created. But hands down, if we are talking wood inlays, the 31 looks better to me.

I love my new small 31 with micarta inlays.

It took a while to break in, but now that it has, it think it might actually be slightly smoother than my 21s. I’m not sure and it could just be a mental thing knowing it rides on the ball. Anyway, I have no complaints about how it opens or closes.

At first, the clip bothered me (coming from 21s), but now not at all. I guess it took a little getting used to vs the straight 21 clips.

Tim Reeve surmised the 31 lock is a bit stronger based on what broke during his hammer test (the lock on the 21, the blade on the 31), but honestly I don’t plan on hitting either with a hammer and after 9 years of service, my 21 has never failed me. I consider it an academic difference.

What really sold me on the 31 is the one piece inlay. I think most credible sources consider S45VN a bit of an upgrade at least with respect to corrosion resistance. Again, probably academic for most, but maybe of value to someone who lives on the coast.

More luck than skill, but I’m more than happy with my PJ 21, PJ Regular, and inlaid 31.

Whether I really need three generations of small sebenzas is a question for a different day.

I agree that the one piece inlay looks (and feels) much better .... to me anyway

Still...the biomechanics favor the lock on the 21. There is much more surface area for the lock to engage the blade tang on the 21's....and I still haven't used the 31 enough to see if it makes a difference in the long run....

I'm glad the rest of you are doing the research for me. If I'm ever able to acquire a 31, I'll have a much better idea what to expect.

I couldn’t hold out any longer. I just ordered my fist 31 so we will see how it goes.

I agree that the one piece inlay looks (and feels) much better .... to me anyway

Still...the biomechanics favor the lock on the 21. There is much more surface area for the lock to engage the blade tang on the 21's....and I still haven't used the 31 enough to see if it makes a difference in the long run....
I agree on the inlay. I only ever owned the regular annual models. One piece inlay is what I liked so much about them. I have never had a Ti on steel lock fail I do know that the 31 & Inkosi are extremely strong and will be much more impact resistant than the old ones. Everyone should listen to the EDC podcast with Tim. The guy running the podcast isn’t a CRK but Tim makes some great points on the new knives.

I love my new small 31 with micarta inlays.

It took a while to break in, but now that it has, it think it might actually be slightly smoother than my 21s. I’m not sure and it could just be a mental thing knowing it rides on the ball. Anyway, I have no complaints about how it opens or closes.

At first, the clip bothered me (coming from 21s), but now not at all. I guess it took a little getting used to vs the straight 21 clips.

Tim Reeve surmised the 31 lock is a bit stronger based on what broke during his hammer test (the lock on the 21, the blade on the 31), but honestly I don’t plan on hitting either with a hammer and after 9 years of service, my 21 has never failed me. I consider it an academic difference.

What really sold me on the 31 is the one piece inlay. I think most credible sources consider S45VN a bit of an upgrade at least with respect to corrosion resistance. Again, probably academic for most, but maybe of value to someone who lives on the coast.

More luck than skill, but I’m more than happy with my PJ 21, PJ Regular, and inlaid 31.

Whether I really need three generations of small sebenzas is a question for a different day.
You see, this is the type of lockup I’m craving. I’m not saying I’d go crazy with a frame lock so bad as Tims hammer test but this is reassuring. I’d much rather have a shock damaged blade that the lock bar to fail.
Not to disparage either company but I’ve had both of the American competitors blades. I gently plopped them into a wet stump and the lock bars disengaged.. my Inkosi didn’t do this. Hopefully the 31 will hold up solidly for me.

Edit: I’m glad to see your 21 has held up so well.

Back