Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

So the 21 is the building that stands firm against the wind, but crumbles in an earthquake, and the 31 sways in the breeze, but stays standing after “the big one”.

Which is better? I dunno. Maybe the 31 in the long run if you value your fingers.

Nice poem..

In one example of 12 years of service I think the 21 deserves better than that from a devoted CRK guy like you.

Nice poem..

In one example of 12 years of service I think the 21 deserves better than that from a devoted CRK guy like you.
You are reading what I wrote through then lens of someone who is trying to criticize something, which I’m not trying to do. I was considering what was shown in the video and thinking on its implications. How some systems have flexibility built into them, like aircraft wings, that would fail if they were rigid. “Rock solid” isn’t always the best option. Maybe the lock flex aids in keeping the lock seated? That’s certainly a possibility worth considering.

Also, even though I love my 21s, and hold them in very high regard, I’m not going to have hurt feelings if it turns out the 31 lock is stronger, and less likely to slip. I’m sure CRK is trying to improve their designs, and I expect no less.

If the 21 lock was strong enough for my uses (which it is), then the 31 lock being stronger is a win for everyone. That doesn’t bother me. I hope it’s the case.

Maybe Cold Steel can helps us figure this out.

I’m going to try to follow my own advice here “not to feed the troll”, and try again to sign out of this thread.

I will leave with a maxim I feel is apropos here:

“you cannot keep a good man down”

In my life thus far, I’ve found this to be the truth, for men, women, ideas, tools, music, trucks, companies, knives.....

Ive never seen it proven otherwise. If the 31 is a well designed knife with a great company behind it, no amount of slurring from internet warriors will harm its success in the long term. In the short term there are clearly setbacks, as we see already with the “cancel the 31” campaign here.

However, my bet is CRKs knows they have a winning design, and are sticking with it. They’ve faced this sort of backlash on new models before, and have come out on top. I would guess we will see the same with the 31.

If the knife lives up to the legacy, and is a good working tool, it’s differences will come to be accepted and the knife celebrated.

Time will tell. I look forward to picking one up when the Insingo Micarta version hits the streets.

You are reading what I wrote through then lens of someone who is trying to criticize something, which I’m not trying to do. I was considering what was shown in the video and thinking on its implications. How some systems have flexibility built into them, like aircraft wings, that would fail if they were rigid. “Rock solid” isn’t always the best option. Maybe the lock flex aids in keeping the lock seated? That’s certainly a possibility worth considering.

Also, even though I love my 21s, and hold them in very high regard, I’m not going to have hurt feelings if it turns out the 31 lock is stronger, and less likely to slip. I’m sure CRK is trying to improve their designs, and I expect no less.

If the 21 lock was strong enough for my uses (which it is), then the 31 lock being stronger is a win for everyone. That doesn’t bother me. I hope it’s the case.

Maybe Cold Steel can helps us figure this out.

Fair enough. Never had my 21's slip though and I really don't think they are prone to.

I also respect Cold Steel for what they are even though they never really were my cup of tea. Still have my small Recon 1 as a beater and it's performing just fine. The lock has REALLY been through it's pases and is rock(free) solid.

Last edited:
I'm late to the party but I have a large 31 (black micarta).

I just fiddled with it quite firmly to test it and can confirm it is rock solid. I would need to put some serious weight/pressure on it to test it further (which I don't want to do!).

Anyway.... for what it's worth.... there's one more real life case in the plus column. Hopefully those with issues are rare and can be fixed.

I'm late to the party but I have a large 31 (black micarta).

I just fiddled with it quite firmly to test it and can confirm it is rock solid. I would need to put some serious weight/pressure on it to test it further (which I don't want to do!).

Anyway.... for what it's worth.... there's one more real life case in the plus column. Hopefully those with issues are rare and can be fixed.
Video?

Fair enough. Never had my 21's slip though and I really don't think they are prone to.

I also respect Cold Steel for what they are even though they never really were my cup of tea. Still have my small Recon 1 as a beater and it's performing just fine. The lock has REALLY been through it pases and is rock(free) solid.
We agree on all these points.

Reactions: 353
OK... so I fiddled some more. Including a more vigorous table test (note: I've now caught up on the many many many pages of this thread and saw your video).

I can now see that it does flex a teeny weeny bit with quite a bit of force leaning on it with two fingers. There was no hint of failure and it flexes straight back - it doesn't jiggle or anything. There is no side to side flex at all.

I was curious and had a Spydiechef to hand and tried that out as well - it turns out it does the same thing (very very tiny movement as well) and I have used that with no issues for ages.

Anyway it doesn't bother me at all - it's hard to describe exactly but there is nothing loose while doing it and it doesn't leave anything wobbling about afterwards. The video in the thread showing the breakdown of various models helped explain why it is likely doing this - and could even be expected with the interplay of the three points of the triangle, their different hardness and shapes. Weirdly it felt kind of reassuring that it gave a tiny bit to avoid "popping" like one of your 21s did! Yikes.

All said and done I can't see this ever being an issue for me using the knife and wouldn't dream of sending it in.

I have been considering getting either an Umnumzaan or Inkosi - reading some of the comments on this thread gave me cause for pause but now I feel confident again. Note: I wouldn't feel great if I had side to side play or could move it with clicks etc just using my fingers - but I saw none of that on mine.

Hope this helps.
:cool:

I’m going to try to follow my own advice here “not to feed the troll”, and try again to sign out of this thread.

I will leave with a maxim I feel is apropos here:

“you cannot keep a good man down”

In my life thus far, I’ve found this to be the truth, for men, women, ideas, tools, music, trucks, companies, knives.....

Ive never seen it proven otherwise. If the 31 is a well designed knife with a great company behind it, no amount of slurring from internet warriors will harm its success in the long term. In the short term there are clearly setbacks, as we see already with the “cancel the 31” campaign here.

However, my bet is CRKs knows they have a winning design, and are sticking with it. They’ve faced this sort of backlash on new models before, and have come out on top. I would guess we will see the same with the 31.

If the knife lives up to the legacy, and is a good working tool, it’s differences will come to be accepted and the knife celebrated.

Time will tell. I look forward to picking one up when the Insingo Micarta version hits the streets.

In my opinion...you are the troll here.
Zero real world experience with a 31, your posts attack peoples integrity, and your posts have thinly veiled insults to posters. No actual hands on opinions on the 31...
How is this not trolling?

In my opinion...you are the troll here.
Zero real world experience with a 31, your posts attack peoples integrity, and your posts have thinly veiled insults to posters. No actual hands on opinions on the 31...
How is this not trolling?

I would argue otherwise but doubt it would quench the fire of your indignation. Enjoy life! Enjoy knives! Find a brand you like and move on. Or return your faulty knife to CRK so we can all stop hearing about it. Maybe ask to speak to the manager?

Either way......all the best to you.

Last edited:
I would argue otherwise but doubt it would quench the fire of your indignation. Enjoy life! Enjoy knives! Find a brand you like and move on. Or return your faulty knife to CRK so we can all stop hearing about it. Maybe ask to speak to the manager?

Either way......all the best to you.

I enjoy CRK...zero problem with the brand. Love my Zaan, love my 21’s, love my Mnandi’s, love my Nyala, love my ti-locks.
You put an awful lot of words in people mouths. May be time to dismount from the high horse you are on. A paying membership is also a great idea to support the site that gives you these freedoms of opinion.

My knife will be going back to CRK for assessment when the postal service doesnt take 3 months to get it there.

Your posts are silly and offensive to some.
Enough is enough.

mag1 mag1 It also shows why I now prefer the 31 over the 21. I appreciate the more secure lock.

1 example showing the 21 fail, after all these years proven to be a stellar lock, is not enough to state that the 31 lock is more secure than the 21. I don't buy it at all.

@nyefmaker has experienced several failures with the CRK ceramic ball lock up. So there is no secure blueprint to all of this.

Back