Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by HikingIsLife, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Ptman2000

Ptman2000 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I’ve taken a video where you can see the movement but am not great at posting those up or using a hosting site.

2. Ptman2000

Feb 8, 2014
    maybe I over estimated on that after re looking at it. I would say around 1 mm as well. Maybe a Little more.

3. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    1 mm is what your seeing....? That’s around 1/32. With CRK legendary tolerances, 1 mm might as well be 10 mm. That’s definitely enough to slip causing lock failure.

I work with precision machinery and we have had machine crashes with some things off the thickness of a sheet of paper costing anywhere from 12-50 million in lost product. So 1 mm Does Matter.

I am sure CRK will work on this, they literally Have too as their companies reputation relies on it. The most disturbing part of all this is the letter that says this is “normal”.

4. Caffiend

Caffiend Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2016
    I think everyone’s talking about the lockbar moving up then back down. Not side to side in which case it would possibly slip and fail.

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  5. bmilleker

bmilleker Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2012
    The lockbar is moving towards the stop pin and back to its resting place. I don't know if that's up, left, down, or east. Depends on how you are looking at it.

6. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    I would say up/down = lockrock direction
    Side/side = lockslip direction
    :D

jux t likes this.
  7. Art Lewis

Art Lewis

Mar 17, 2009
    Can you see a flex-track on the tang caused by the ceramic ball? I understand that the ceramic ball ist moving towards the stop pin with the lockarm? Or is only the lockarm flexing like a bow and does not affect the posiotion of the ceramic interface on the tang?

Ruudr likes this.
  8. Caffiend

Caffiend Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Took me a while too

Movement towards the spine = up

movement towards the scales = side to side

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  9. Ptman2000

Feb 8, 2014
    Here is a video uploaded to YouTube. I’ll try to get the lockbar side later tonight.

10. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Thanks, that illustrates it well. If that is a feature, then I’d expect the company to disclose it so that the customers are aware.

bemymonkey and Tetsujin 140.6 like this.
  11. Ptman2000

Feb 8, 2014
    I wasn’t putting much pressure on the blade either. Just finders and pushing with regular force.

insta9ves likes this.
  12. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Thats actually quite a bit of movement...anyone tried this with a Zaan?

razor-edge-knives likes this.
  13. bmilleker

bmilleker Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Thats a great video. My early inkosi with the ball track in the tang of the blade has zero movement.

I am going to do my part and email CRK. If enough people contact them, I hope they get the picture that movement in the lock is not OK.

353, Ruudr and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  14. Ad58

Ad58

May 23, 2005
    If it was a Chinese manufacturer, people would be all over it...

15. jonnieb27

jonnieb27

Sep 13, 2008
    This is disappointing, to say the least. My Sebenza 21s are the closest thing I can think of to a fixed blade, that dead solid lockup has always been one of the selling points of the original integral frame lock.

16. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks for posting a video. That's more movement than I was thinking it would be.

17. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks for posting the video. Speechless....!!! Wow, that is completely and utterly UNACCEPTABLE. I expect this from a gas station $2 knife, NOT A $$500 plus CRK that has built their existence on precision.

archieblue likes this.
  18. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    That's just a shock absorber feature for when you whack the spine.
    [​IMG]

insta9ves, peppercorn, willc and 3 others like this.
  19. steff27

steff27

Feb 8, 2013
    That does not look good. For my four Inkosis and Sebenzas, two of them being carbon fiber variants, I can put as much pressure on the blade spine as I'm able to with my bare hands, without having fingers in the path of the blade, and I'm not able to detect any kind of movement or flex. No lock groove on the Inkosis.

That solid fixed-blade-like feel, including the side-to-side stability, is one of the CRK-defining properties for me... Especially the carbon fiber models not feeling less solid even a bit.

20. Ptman2000

Feb 8, 2014
    same for me on every other CRK that I’ve owned!

but on the 31 they are saying it’s “normal”

steff27 likes this.