Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Just curious if you're letting that Loctite set for 24 hours before you start opening and closing the knife. If not, give that a try.

Unfortunately, yes. I’m giving it three days...no opening and closing during that time except for initial setting of action.
Thank you for your advice tho. :)

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery

If it still backs out even after letting the locktite dry try switching the pivot and other body screw. See if that does anything.

I’ve tried that too. :/ Even went as far as purchasing new hardware and tried that. No go yet.

Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery
Thanks for the update.
Welcome back.

:D Thank you sir! It’s good to be back and it’s been way too long since we have chatted!

Just an update on my large micarta 31 that had blade play and serious lock flex.
As posted before, CRK fixed it up good. :)

However, one nitpick I have is that my pivot screw will back out. I’ve tried everything. New pivot pin, purple loctite, blue loctite, plumber’s tape, nothing works.
Depending on what I use as a “thread tightener,” within a week, it is backing itself out. :(
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why. Unfortunately, I now only carry my 31 for random day to day tasks and not for work, as was initially intended when purchased.
Makes me sad. It is a beautiful knife.

This is not common - in fact rare - with CR knives. That being said, it sounds like your knife may be a lemon and should rightly be replaced

This is not common - in fact rare - with CR knives. That being said, it sounds like your knife may be a lemon and should rightly be replaced

Not quite as rare as you would think. ;) I have other 21’s that need loctite. Mind you, it does take a while for the screw to back out.

This particular 31 has already had the lockside replaced for being out of spec. Not sure they are gonna replace it since it’s already been to CRK once. :/

Not quite as rare as you would think. ;) I have other 21’s that need loctite. Mind you, it does take a while for the screw to back out.

This particular 31 has already had the lockside replaced for being out of spec. Not sure they are gonna replace it since it’s already been to CRK once. :/

that is unfortunate...on any knife no matter the price.

these problems we see, generally speaking, with pivots/roller bearings/ceramic balls/etc...it's making me want go back to good ol' lockbacks

that is unfortunate...on any knife no matter the price.

these problems we see, generally speaking, with pivots/roller bearings/ceramic balls/etc...it's making me want go back to good ol' lockbacks

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I love lockbacks. And I agree. Modern folders seem to have more finicky issues. They aren’t really flaws...just a nuisance. Lol. Modern framelocks do/can work hard tho.

I like each type for different reasons. :)

However, one nitpick I have is that my pivot screw will back out. I’ve tried everything. New pivot pin, purple loctite, blue loctite, plumber’s tape, nothing works.
Depending on what I use as a “thread tightener,” within a week, it is backing itself out. :(
For the life of me, I can’t figure out why. Unfortunately, I now only carry my 31 for random day to day tasks and not for work, as was initially intended when purchased.
Makes me sad. It is a beautiful knife.
I just came here to look to see if anyone else was having this issue. I have a pj 31 and the pivot screw keeps backing out too. I haven’t tried loctite yet but was planning on it. My 31 is a great knife, just seems to have this issue. I have four other CRKs and never encountered this before. It’s surprising.

Reactions: V-1
I just came here to look to see if anyone else was having this issue. I have a pj 31 and the pivot screw keeps backing out too. I haven’t tried loctite yet but was planning on it. My 31 is a great knife, just seems to have this issue. I have four other CRKs and never encountered this before. It’s surprising.

I had my pivot screw on my L31 completely fall out and get lost while being carried one day. I contacted customer service and was sent 3 pivot screws at no charge to try them out. All 3 replacements would loosen over the course of a couple days of use and carry. I then started to notice that the action started to develop a scratching noise/feel. I am now sending the knife into CRK per their request as something is up. Wish they would provide a return shipping label on a clearly faulty product but I will see what they do once it is worked on and sent back. Will follow up once I have the knife back in hand.

Shot in the dark here, but try switching the pivot around. I haven't had a need to try on any of my Chris Reeve knives, but it's me helped sort out issues on other knives.

Edit:
Nevermind. I realized others already suggested this.

I had my pivot screw on my L31 completely fall out and get lost while being carried one day. I contacted customer service and was sent 3 pivot screws at no charge to try them out. All 3 replacements would loosen over the course of a couple days of use and carry. I then started to notice that the action started to develop a scratching noise/feel. I am now sending the knife into CRK per their request as something is up. Wish they would provide a return shipping label on a clearly faulty product but I will see what they do once it is worked on and sent back. Will follow up once I have the knife back in hand.
Wow, that’s really disappointing.

So this is what CRK has become , they now include loctite no explaination for such a radical change a handful of pivot screws YOU find out which one might work , Ha ! I bought my 31 large Sebenza before seeing this complaint dept. Thread and mine is perfect , birthdate July 22, 2020 , I feel bad for the guys who got burned on this .

Kind of expected when the "Chris Reeve" of "Chris Reeve Knives" is missing. The fit and finish is still probably better than most American manufacturers though.

Kind of expected when the "Chris Reeve" of "Chris Reeve Knives" is missing. The fit and finish is still probably better than most American manufacturers though.

Who else is tired of hearing this reason? CRK is not a one man show. Not when Chris was there, and not now. Did the Chris era also have issues with some knives? 100%. This is a blip in an incredible history of CRK. Issues will be resolved and worked through.

Who else is tired of hearing this reason? CRK is not a one man show. Not when Chris was there, and not now. Did the Chris era also have issues with some knives? 100%. This is a blip in an incredible history of CRK. Issues will be resolved and worked through.

It is likely that 95%+ of their products are unaffected. Because we are the "premier knife enthusiast website" we are gonna hear about the blips and analyze them as nauseam. Which is what we should do. We hold CRK to a very high standard and I think they feel the same way of themselves and want to correct all mistakes.

That being said...there is plenty of positives over the past 3 decades to review here as well.

Yeah I'll admit that Chris retiring has me bummed a bit...but that may be more of a reflection of my own trajectory in life. I still remember meeting him in the early 1990's and buying my first Sebenza. Bought the Mnandi at a NY Knife show before it was even released. After reflection, it's really not Chris' absence from CRK that has be a bit melancholy...because I'm sure Tim & crew carry on the strong tradition....it's the fact that I myself have aged 30 years since I met Chris and ...you know..the writing is on the wall. We don't live forever..

Just called and talked to CRK today as I had some questions about all sorts of things and found out that earlier in 31 production they had some newer people (apprentice) machining some of the components. This person had to be moved due to the bad quality of their work. Also, they said there have been several improvements along the way regarding ceramic ball placement and lock bar cut outs. The service/assembly guy I talked to said he has seen a noticeable improvement in quality. I may have to pick one up soon! Hope this helps!

I’ve tried that too. :/ Even went as far as purchasing new hardware and tried that. No go yet.

:D Thank you sir! It’s good to be back and it’s been way too long since we have chatted!

Hey S&H welcome back brother!

Was gonna suggest Teflon/plumbers tape... I've used that on shiros in the past with decent results...

Hey S&H welcome back brother!

Was gonna suggest Teflon/plumbers tape... I've used that on shiros in the past with decent results...

Thank, Brother!

The tape works ok if I put it on thick. I think I’ve figured out the problem...it locks up solid, but when the lockbar is released, it still has lots of side/side bladeplay. The pivot bushing is to thick. I’ll shave that down a touch and then see if I still have the backing out issue with the pivot screw. :)

Thanks again for the welcome back. :cool:

Back