Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

It should be said that new CRKs are most certainly still shipping out with a less-solid lockup than 21s had.

To be clear, the blades in my previous versions of CRK's knives did not move in any direction when locked. Both of my 31s do. It's a fact.

I just think u were unlucky, make CRK fix or replace it.

As I said my 31 have a slightly more solid lock up over my 21's. It's perfect.

No roasting. If it moves it moves. Mine does not. Actually as tight as my 21 and just as solid as my

My question is how the lock rock presented itself. During use or you pushing on the spine?

It's only detectable when you try to detect it. I have on old habit of pinching the primary bevel firmly within an inch of the scale, wiggle side to side, and back and forth. If nothing moves...good lockup!

On the small 31 with inlays, the blade is solid side to side, but it will give ever so slightly when pushing the back of the blade (actually, while pinching each side of the blade and pushing forward). I can hear things moving against each other and I assume it's the ceramic ball against the blade sliding around.

On the large (no inlays), it's the same, but more solid. Less movement when applying force towards the edge.

In real life I don't think it matters. When I use knives I'm not pushing against the back of the blade. Like I said, I can live with it. But, I am certainly not thrilled about it.

It's only detectable when you try to detect it. I have on old habit of pinching the primary bevel firmly within an inch of the scale, wiggle side to side, and back and forth. If nothing moves...good lockup!

On the small 31 with inlays, the blade is solid side to side, but it will give ever so slightly when pushing the back of the blade (actually, while pinching each side of the blade and pushing forward). I can hear things moving against each other and I assume it's the ceramic ball against the blade sliding around.

On the large (no inlays), it's the same, but more solid. Less movement when applying force towards the edge.

In real life I don't think it matters. When I use knives I'm not pushing against the back of the blade. Like I said, I can live with it. But, I am certainly not thrilled about it.

Send them back, that would drive me nuts.

First-time CRK owner, with a recent purchase of a Left-Handed Large Inkosi. I spent the last few months mulling over which of the Large knives to get, and like the typical OCD fidget-with-knife person, was quite concerned about the stories of 'lock rock', and the like. Have been following this thread with great interest.

Happy to report that the Inkosi I have is rock solid from that standpoint. The pivot is also tight enough that I haven't needed to locktite it, but do need both Allen keys to manipulate.

I did have a thought about why the lock-rock seems to be more prevalent in the Seb 31s, especially the Small. I'm only going off other people's pictures here, but it does look like the ceramic ball in the Seb 31 is closer to the centre-point of the pivot hole (labeled '2' in the diagram below 'borrowed' from another site). This seems to correlate with the 'ball track' on the lock surface being closer to the blade pivot. If I'm remembering framelock geometry properly, this would mean that the ball interface in a Seb 31 would not only be more likely to create the theorized 'second pivot point', but would also be less efficient at resisting the rotational force on the lock surface (ie. lock rock with less force).

The Seb 21s would obviously have the 'classic' lock interface point as labelled '3' in the image below, and have a contact point as far away from the pivot as possible (least lock movement). I suppose the relative position of the ceramic ball has to be a compromise between the contact point of the framelock, vs the required detent track. You wouldn't have that problem in the 21 since they're separate components.

Just my two cents but would anyone with various different CRK models be able to compare this? I've been digging around quite extensively, since my next purchase will likely be a Seb 31, but haven't found anything specifically looking at this. Would be particularly interesting to see if there was a difference in ceramic ball track position in 'lock rock' vs 'no lock rock' Seb 31s!

LockInterfaceDiagram-486x265.jpg

J jylong_away

I have a Umnumzaan, 2 Large Inkosi, a 25 and a 31 that share the ceramic ball interface. They all lock up very tight as do my 21 and Mnandi.. My 31 shows a tad of lock bar flex when this ( in my option ) really dumb and irrelevant ” test “ is preformed. There is no free blade movement, there is no lock slip its the lock bar moving slightly down as that downward pressure is placed on the blade.

The others don’t show any flex at all. What does this mean? Absolute nothing in my book, guess what happens when you lock open the Buck 303/301s I carried for 40 years and put pressure on the spine of the blade? They snap shut! Guess how many times this happen in those 40 years? None, zip, zero.

What are people doing with a folding knife that they are worried about it closing on them? I work with them everyday and its never crossed my mind.

Anyway these are my thoughts from your 2 cents ;) Welcome to the CRK line of knives enjoy them and use them and be sure to show us lots of pictures because we do love us some pictures!

EDIT In all fairness I owned a small 31 late 2020 manufacture in late 21 and got rid of it immediately because of this flex that I let the internet tell me was so bad. It did exhibit a fair amount of flex but for the lock rock claims I cannot comment on as I have never experienced it.

Last edited:
I got bought a Large Inkosi and Small seb 31 that were made on Halloween. The Seb 31 has lockrock, I think the Inkosi does too but you have to put a lot more force on it than the small, so I didn't really notice any. Not that it bothers me that much but it definitely is there.

Here's my experience. I have been around for a while, but rarely post. However, I will add my experience here as a data point for others because I had expected better.

I've owned several CRKs ranging from early 2000s to present. They are some of my favorite pieces - my small sebenza (s30v, 2006 I think) is one of my most used knives; similarly my mnandi is my go-to special occassion knife.

At the end of 2023 I bought a small sebenza 31 and it had modest lock rock when new. Interestingly mine was also made on Halloween 2023, just like es335. I never used it, never cut anything, just put it back in the box to think what I shoudl do. I sent it back to CRK in Jan 2024 after much thought. It did not feel right that a piece at this price point with the reputation and expectation of a "bank vault" feel would exhibit behavior not seen on much cheaper pieces.

When I received the return, it was disappointing to see they had scratched it, which makes it un-resellable as mint. And the lock rock was not fixed. There was no explanation, no letter, no email, no communication on the lock rock issue whatsoever. I have also got an old style umnumzaan and asked for a pivot tool - apparently they do not make the pivot tools any more. They referred me out to a third party who is out of stock. Not great.

The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. Between the lock rock, damage incurred in the 'service' (read - a fiscal loss), lack of communication on lock rock, and lack of support of the customers who have old umnumzaans I am personally quite disappointed. My view of CRK has changed and at this point cannot see myself purchasing CRKs in the future or recommending them to others.

That's sad to hear. My experience with multiple 31s has been great. Though I do prefer the 21 look and feel, the ceramic interface makes the old style "double click" feel antiquated. Sorry to hear they didn't make it right.

I got this 31 last year when I first received it I spent a little time looking it over it has some really nice damascus these are just crappy indoor pictures one heck of a storm going on today. I made sure the lock was secure with no blade play felt be hand it was a little tight but now some 8 months later it’s smooth as butter still no play or rock lock. It’s been in my pocket most of the time the 21 and Inkosi and many other sit. Thank Anna, Tim and crew. IMG_6767.jpegIMG_6766.jpeg

Here's my experience. I have been around for a while, but rarely post. However, I will add my experience here as a data point for others because I had expected better.

I've owned several CRKs ranging from early 2000s to present. They are some of my favorite pieces - my small sebenza (s30v, 2006 I think) is one of my most used knives; similarly my mnandi is my go-to special occassion knife.

At the end of 2023 I bought a small sebenza 31 and it had modest lock rock when new. Interestingly mine was also made on Halloween 2023, just like es335. I never used it, never cut anything, just put it back in the box to think what I shoudl do. I sent it back to CRK in Jan 2024 after much thought. It did not feel right that a piece at this price point with the reputation and expectation of a "bank vault" feel would exhibit behavior not seen on much cheaper pieces.

When I received the return, it was disappointing to see they had scratched it, which makes it un-resellable as mint. And the lock rock was not fixed. There was no explanation, no letter, no email, no communication on the lock rock issue whatsoever. I have also got an old style umnumzaan and asked for a pivot tool - apparently they do not make the pivot tools any more. They referred me out to a third party who is out of stock. Not great.

The whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth. Between the lock rock, damage incurred in the 'service' (read - a fiscal loss), lack of communication on lock rock, and lack of support of the customers who have old umnumzaans I am personally quite disappointed. My view of CRK has changed and at this point cannot see myself purchasing CRKs in the future or recommending them to others.
As for the Umnumzaan, how long do you expect them to manufacture parts for a discontinued model? It's a mechanism. Go try to buy factory new OEM parts for an older model car. Not often easy to do. I think your expectation on this doesn't align with reality.

As for the 31, most users have found that breaking the knife in deals with any of the alleged lock rock. The pieces need to wear in with one another differently with the ceramic ball. And if CRK put a scratch on your knife, I'm sure they'd be happy to fix it for you. At least give them the opportunity.

My 31 had pretty bad lock rock for a while. I took it apart a million times and it went away. My 21 lockup was still better.

Back