"Sebenza" From eBay - real or fake?

ChrisC12345

Gold Member
Hi All -

My first CRK knife is on it's way to me, should be in my hands on Monday!! In the mean time I acquired this "sebenza" from eBay and I'm not sure if it's real or not. I took it apart to peak inside, I'm attaching the pics here. What do you think, real or a fake? My vote is "fake". I've also sent these pics to CRK, but their customer service is closed until Monday.

Thanks for your opinions

https://www.flickr.com/gp/188230106@N07/q47L75

Last edited:
Can u get a clearer pic of the CR and the inside of the slabs for chris reeve? can u look on the inside of the slabs for a code .. it will be and alpha A B C , an a 2 digit year.

Can u get a clearer pic of the CR and the inside of the slabs for chris reeve? can u look on the inside of the slabs for a code .. it will be and alpha A B C , an a 2 digit year.
Sure, I can take another pic of the CR logo. There aren't any codes on the inside of the slabs, that's why I'm thinking it may not be real. Then again, it may be a very old knife...

Ah - I didn't notice that... Who knows if that is the lanyard that goes with this knife. It was basically falling apart when I opened it. All of the body screws were loose, the blade off center and had a ton of play because the pivot screw was about to fall out. Someone played around with it for sure. I opened the knife up to see if there were any date codes and see if it needed lube, which it does. I was surprised by the washers, I have only seen the perforated style in pictures.

Send that to chris reeve also. You may want to send it in or take it to a dealer for a looksee, or as I said above send it back.. if it came loosely fitted I would have returned it right away..

The one you got from Ebay is fake. The thumbstud is wrong, the proportions look off, the cutouts in the lock bar is wrong and the washers for the time of that the new lanyard came in is also off if I remember correctly.

Send that to chris reeve also. You may want to send it in or take it to a dealer for a looksee, or as I said above send it back.. if it came loosely fitted I would have returned it right away..
I appreciate the feedback. My plan is to send it to CRK to get it checked and tuned up. I cleaned and lubed it and snugged everything up and it works 1000x better than when I first got it. Apparently this knife was bought at an estate sale then sat in a drawer for a long time, that's why I think it's an older knife.

On closer inspection of the photos, the blade finish is incorrect, the 2 lines you see under the pocket clip should not be there on a plain jane Sebenza, the centre groove in either the pivot bushing or backspacer should not be there.

If it doesn't have date codes on the inside of the slabs the odds are huge it is a fake. Add that to what marthinus said and there sounds like little doubt.
If you can send it back or dispute the charges I would. I would not waste money sending it to CRK.
There may be a legit slab out there without the date codes, 2 on the same knife very unlikely and that you have it even less liikely.

Thanks for your feedback. I don't know anything about the older versions of this knife. I ordered a Large Sebenza 31 as my first official CRK. I'm guessing there will be no comparison once I get the 31.

If it doesn't have date codes on the inside of the slabs the odds are huge it is a fake. Add that to what marthinus said and there sounds like little doubt.
If you can send it back or dispute the charges I would. I would not waste money sending it to CRK.
There may be a legit slab out there without the date codes, 2 on the same knife very unlikely and that you have it even less liikely.
I sent these pics to CRK customer service, hopefully I hear back from them early next week.

Did it come with the box and paperwork?
The no date code is a dead giveaway that it’s a fake as already mentioned.

Did it come with the box and paperwork?
The no date code is a dead giveaway that it’s a fake as already mentioned.
No box, no paperwork, sending it back won't be an issue. That's why I finally bit the bullet and bought a new sebenza for myself from an authorized dealer. This was an interesting little adventure, but it got old very quickly...

No box, no paperwork, sending it back won't be an issue. That's why I finally bit the bullet and bought a new sebenza for myself from an authorized dealer. This was an interesting little adventure, but it got old very quickly...

Yeah, with no box or paperwork coming from eBay, it’s a fake. I’ve bought just the knife before, but it came from here and the seller is a regular poster

Yeah, with no box or paperwork coming from eBay, it’s a fake. I’ve bought just the knife before, but it came from here and the seller is a regular poster
Yep, I took a chance on it. On the bright side I learned a lot about these knives and got in some practice taking it apart and putting it back together correctly :) A nice distraction while being on lock down.

Back