seeking the perfect folder

Hey all,
this is my first post, definitely won't be my last.
I am looking for the "perfect folder."
I know this means many different things to many different people, so here goes nothin...
I'd like it to have D2 steel or something equally tough. I'm not worried about corrosion as I take good care of my weapons/tools.
I'd like it to have a very pronounced finger stop. Don't want to risk my hand sliding up towards the blade if stabbing is required.
I'd prefer it to lock open and closed. Minimize the risk of it opening in case I take a tumble and closing on my fingers from hard/akward use.
I'd like it to be all steel (or similar strength metal). I've seen G10 melt and crack (no thank you) and just prefer the toughness of steel to aluminum.
A good warranty is very much preferred, especially if it's $100+
I am not concerned about weight.
lets try to keep it under $400.
lets try to keep it under 6 inches closed.
MADE IN AMERICA please.

I work on a farm and use my knife 10+ times a day, for some of the most random tasks one can think of. Right now I use the Kershaws from walmart that are $20 for two and needless to say, they do not last (but are cheap so I don't feel bad destroying them. This is where a good warranty comes in handy).
I'm very interested to see what everyone comes up with and I greatly appreciate everyone's input!

The Maxpedition Excelsa is a pretty nice titanium folder with a D2 blade. There is the Lionsteel Sr1a has a D2 blade with an aluminium frame. Just be wary mine came with kind of a jacked up grind. The tip and front was quite obtuse in its edge. I think there are other Lionsteel knives with D2.

As a side note...If you like D2 and are concerned about corrosion resistance maybe you should check out folders made from CTS-XHP. Supposedly it is like D2 in its properties and behaviour, except it is a stainless steel. D2 is only a semi-stainless steel.

Your perfect folder and MY perfect folder aren't going to be the same thing. Have fun with the hunt.
I HAVE found my perfect folder.

You could check out the Freeman 451 Flipper. It has all your requirements except it doesn't lock closed and the handle comes in either aluminum or titanium.

I just ordered one myself, albeit in aluminum.

Might want to take a look at the Benchmade Mini Reflex II, since they are a sponsor I believe I am allowed to link their webpage here, if not I guess I'm getting an infraction :(

http://www.benchmade.com/everyday/mini-reflex-ii-family.html

If you want something a little larger I would look at the Zero Tolerance 0450. Both have solid warranties and I know ZT will replace your blade for $30 if you break it (at least according to their website, I haven't dealt directly with them.

Just a quick question about your initial post?

G10 service temp is 284F, G11 is 329F. They don't melt they just char.

Are you sure the handle material you saw melting was "G10" and not a "G10 like" handle similar to those found on Cold Steels and such?

I can't suggest any knives that lock open AND Closed.

I'd like it to be all steel (or similar strength metal). I've seen G10 melt and crack (no thank you) and just prefer the toughness of steel to aluminum.

If you've seen g10 melt then it wasn't g10. Real g10 would catch fire before melting I'd think. Or at least the two would be so close together that it'd be nearly impossible to isolate the melting point. It'd melt for a nano-second and then catch fire.

I'd say get a Paramilitary 2 with Flytanium scales installed. There's a couple of retailers, BladeHQ included, that sells the knife with the scales already installed. You get the iconic PM2 in S30V steel with two slabs of titanium instead of the normal g10.

There are a few options that lock both open and closed, depending on what your idea of lock means -

If a smaller frame-lock, in D2 steel, with all metal scales, that locks closed with a locking device as well as open with the frame-lock, you could look at the Kershaw Leek Composite Blade -

1660cb_profile_1020x400.png

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek-composite-blade

The one thing the knife lacks from your wish list is a pronounced guard to protect your hand from sliding forward when stabbing, although there is some amount of guard in the design of the small flipper.

There are a couple of knives that I know of that actually have a device to lock the knife in the open position to prevent the lock-bar from backing off of the tang face, one being the DPX HEST/F with it's "rotoblock" locking mechanism. That knife, however, is not offered without G10 scale on one side (although I too have never heard of G10 melting on anyone ever) and there is no lock to make the knife lock closed, it simply uses a ball and hole detent system that is common to hundreds of folding knife designs.

Knifeworks is a supporting dealer here - following is a link to their listing of one flavor of the DPX HEST/F -
http://www.knifeworks.com/dpxhestf2...taniumhandleframelockfolder.aspx#.WHWGYRsrLIU

Good luck -

best

mqqn

Just so you know a lot of people (myself included) with massive knife collections began just like you. Looking for the perfect folder. This is a great place but be prepared to buy lots of knives in your future. It is a very slippery slope You think "no not me". Just wait and see. Good luck.

The best knife I know of that Locks open and closed is the Benchmade Barrage. It does not quite fit all your other requirments but it is close with the Benchmade 581. Good luck!

The best knife I know of that Locks open and closed is the Benchmade Barrage. It does not quite fit all your other requirments but it is close with the Benchmade 581. Good luck!

I live out in farm country myself and just ordered myself a benchmade mini barrage. As mentioned it does not necessarily meet all your requirements, but I can see myself using this thing for everything from simple tasks like cutting bailing wire to prying out orings or scraping off gasket material. Amazing knife.

I know it's not made in merica. But before you find your perfect knife you might consider cold steel recon with xhp steel as it will take abuse and is cheap enough. Pick a size that you like. Its pretty locked when it's open and locked when it's closed and your fingers won't slide anywhere.

You could check out the Freeman 451 Flipper. It has all your requirements except it doesn't lock closed and the handle comes in either aluminum or titanium.

I just ordered one myself, albeit in aluminum.
This. I've had my aluminum handled 451 for a couple of years now and it's an excellent, rugged knife with an awesome D2 blade.
freeman.jpg
Available in lots of color combos too...
(not my picture)

Want my advice, Parker IMAI K47 spear point bone handle. Best knife I have and its my EDC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Just so you know a lot of people (myself included) with massive knife collections began just like you. Looking for the perfect folder. This is a great place but be prepared to buy lots of knives in your future. It is a very slippery slope You think "no not me". Just wait and see. Good luck.

Agreed.

You will find with time, the perfect folder does not exist. Some will come close but never perfect. There is always something to improve upon. Workmanship, blade steel, ergos.....something. Half the fun is the challenge to find something close. You'll see.

Good luck with your search.

Many of us chased the perfect knife for many, many years. Have fun with the hunt!

I found my "perfect folder" about 40 different times. And I'm still looking (you read it right).

You could try a leatherman. Most of them come with a nice sheath to keep them on you in case you fall down.

Back