Sell Me on a Delica

Hi all.
So I have had a Delica 4 on my "list" for years now. I've held one, I like it, and I've read countless threads and reviews singing its praises. I recently sold a knife, coming into some very rare "guilt free" knife budget. I love the look of the blue model as well. So what's been holding me back? My problem is not doubting the awesomeness of the knife, but the simple fact is that I have knives I love and don't have any problems with, but still never get carried. (My poor PM2 hasn't seen regular love in months, despite being one of my favorites). What about a Delica will kick my regulars out of my pocket? Or, even if I don't often carry it, is it just one that I "have" to have? I look forward to hearing your arguments! I would love to have one but I am just concerned that it would be yet another sitting on my desk while the same 3 blades go into my pocket every morning. Thanks in advance!

Short enough blade to be legal most places.
Thin enough blade to actually cut stuff WELL !
Good size handle.
Good handle shape that is leaning toward traditional shape like the slip joint trapper (one of my favorite handle shapes for actually using the knife as opposed to what feels best clipped in my pocket).
VERY LIGHT

How's that . . . and I am embarrassed to say I have never owned one. These days I tend toward a longer blade like the Endura but that handle is very much like the Delica.
Love the Endura. I bet I would love the Delica.

The Delica is a neat blade. Size is good. It's super light & thin but sturdy for it's weight. It's a great slicer and carries well.

My D4 was a little rough out of the box--it may have been an outlier. The spydey hole was sharp. Not just abrupt. Sharp. It was also over sprung to the point it was a beast to open--regardless of pivot adjustment. I probably should've returned it (mail order) or sent it to Golden, but it wasn't worth the effort AND I wanted to see what I could do to tune it up.

I stoned a gentle champfer at the spydie hole (easy) but the lock spring gave me fits! I wound up putting a gentle radius on the detent portion of the tang, and it came out great! I'm super happy with it now, though I don't carry it much (It's so light/sharp/sturdy I keep it as a backup in my backpacking emergency kit).

The design is truly phenominal, but based on my recent experience I recommend you pick one up in person or from a retailer with a sound return policy. A good delica is hard to beat for the price.

I still have the D1 I bought circa '92 BTW.

IMG_1837.JPG

Last edited:
A Delica is a very fine folder, although a bit small for my hand. The Endura is a great work-knife, but too large. Now, the Stretch is just right and fits my hand just fine. VERY ergonomic, and sized right...and a great slicer.

I got this as used to be a user but I really want orange or the light blue. If this is the blue you want, email me and we can work out something for you to either buy or try the knife as I think it's the color you are looking for.

uuMt0LT.jpg

...I would love to have one but I am just concerned that it would be yet another sitting on my desk while the same 3 blades go into my pocket every morning. Thanks in advance!

This was my problem exactly. I had a Delica in Super Blue for a while but eventually sold it because it was just sitting in the box.

I like the overall size and blade profile a lot, but the ergos weren't as good for my hand as some other models and it never really broke into the rotation. I've thought about picking up another one for a second look though.

I never bought one till last year. I jumped because it was ZDP. I really like my ZDP Endura. It still doesn't get any pocket time. It's not to small. I have 4 Stretch and 5 Natives. The Delica just doesn't do anything for me.

I got this as used to be a user but I really want orange or the light blue. If this is the blue you want, email me and we can work out something for you to either buy or try the knife as I think it's the color you are looking for.

uuMt0LT.jpg

Wow. One of the reasons I love this forum. How cool is that?

uuMt0LT.jpg
Wow what an amazingly generous offer! I am relatively new to this forum, how is the best way to contact you? Thanks so much! And thanks everyone else for the replies as well!

1. The knife is a great size for a pocket knife/EDC knife. It is not too big, nor too small.
2. The handle shape actually fits the hand and allows more control when using it. It even fits my large hands (I am mystified by this).
3. The blade is a very useful shape: skinning, letter opening, apple cutting, splinter picking, etc. It is very thin so it cuts very well.
4. It is easy to sharpen but holds a good edge (VG-10).
5. It comes in colors.
6. It is thin so it disappears in the pocket. It will even fit in the watch pocket of a pair of Wrangler jeans.
7. It is a design that has withstood the test of time and is still popular.
8. It does not cost an arm and a leg.
9. It has a very strong lock that is ambidextrous.
10. It is simply cool yet it is practical (most cool knives are not practical. Hey, even Hickock45 carries a Delica).

1. The knife is a great size for a pocket knife/EDC knife. It is not too big, nor too small.
2. The handle shape actually fits the hand and allows more control when using it. It even fits my large hands (I am mystified by this).
3. The blade is a very useful shape: skinning, letter opening, apple cutting, splinter picking, etc. It is very thin so it cuts very well.
4. It is easy to sharpen but holds a good edge (VG-10).
5. It comes in colors.
6. It is thin so it disappears in the pocket. It will even fit in the watch pocket of a pair of Wrangler jeans.
7. It is a design that has withstood the test of time and is still popular.
8. It does not cost an arm and a leg.
9. It has a very strong lock that is ambidextrous.
10. It is simply cool yet it is practical (most cool knives are not practical. Hey, even Hickock45 carries a Delica).

+1
I carry a Delica 5 days a week as a work knife and it has never let me down, finally put a deep cary clip on it and love it even more now
has taken all the abuse I've ever given it and say "Is that all you got?"

Have a Zome models as well

If you click my profile name to the left I think you should be able to message me, not 100% sure because of your forum membership level. If that doesn't work just email me at

Last edited:
I carry a PM2 and Delica 4 every day.
The PM2 in a Victorinox nylon sheath on the belt, I hate pocket clips that catch on seat belts, mark up furniture and car finishes.
The Delica 4 rides in my shirt pocket under a flap, easy access when sitting and looks like a pen clip.
Use the Delica 2x-3x more than the PM2.

Regards,
FK

Last edited:
I carried one for years. the waved version. Its the ideal mid sized best bang for the buck knife around. But... after carrying it for years I feel the best EDC nife is the dragonfly salt SE. It does everything my delica did but better. The serrated h1 out cust any other steel spyderco has tested. Its super light weight and fits excellent in hand. I also like the endura wave over the dragonfly. I found a mid size knife either was a bit more weight and length then you actually needed for most everything day to day. Or having that larger blades nice for having peace of mind if you needed the longer blade and good for cutting tasks.
All that said cant go wrong with any of them. After having carried all three for years I would rathe them 1. dragonfly salt. 2. endura wave 3. delica wave.

Just buy one they are cheap. Buy all three.

I must be honest, I've pretty much always overlooked the Delica in favour for the Endura4, but I must admit, I'd looooove a Delica Wharncliff in Zome!!!

If you click my profile name to the left I think you should be able to message me, not 100% sure because of your forum membership level. If that doesn't work just email me at
Awesome! Email sent :) Thanks for the replies everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am among those that prefer the Endura over the Delica. I have several going back to the first generation. If the Delica 4 were cheaper, I might consider it, but, when I get the Endura 4 for less, why bother? I have plenty of other cheap small knives for those times I travel to restrictive places.

It's overall a great blade style, handle length, light weight and doesn't eat much pocket space. To me, couple that with its fair price, it is hard to beat.

I can't tell you it will do anything that another knife won't, knives are individual items, but if you are interested in one, the price of admission is low and they sell well on the exchange if you aren't smitten with it.

Back