Sell Me on a Delica

I had to cut up a mess of cardboard shipping boxes this morning for trash pick-up.
The Delica ZDP-189 has hand sharpened polished edge well under factory 30 degrees inclusive with a 1 micron diamond honed micro bevel.

The heavy cardboard sliced like warm butter, much smoother and easier than a utility knife with new blade.
Filled up the trash barrel and the blade will still slice thin paper cleanly.

Regards,
FK

harronek harronek How did you get that finnish on the Ti and the SS clip?

It is a stonewash finish that I did myself with a screw top plastic jar , gravel from my driveway , WD40 and my wifes clothes dryer .
It is one of the better mods I've done , and one that I highly recommend to anyone that uses their Ti-Damascus
The standard Ti-Damascus scales are polished and the second you start using and carrying the knife they scratch and look horrible ( to my eye the scratches look horrible because they are scratches and not the snail trail type marks that you get with stonewashed or blasted Ti ) .
Maybe Spyderco designed them to be show ponies and the real work should be done by the FRN Delicas .
I originally didnt stonewash the clip but after stonewashing a few of my factory black painted clips for my FRN knives I put a washed one on the Ti - Dam and really like the subdued look .

Here is a pic when it had the standard polished clip .

Ken

Reactions: 353
Thread update: I am currently on a family vacation out of state and the Delica has been in my pocket every day since I've been here. It's done all the little tasks I've needed to do (slicing fruit, carving beach wood, digging splinters, spreading cream cheese, etc). It has definitely cemented itself as the perfect travel folder. It carries so well, is small and light, is cheap enough that I don't worry, and slices and cuts beautifully. As another referenced, Nick Shabazz has described it perfectly. If anyone following this thread is on the fence, buy a Delica! Even if I never carry it at home when the newness wears off, it will be worth keeping as a travel blade. PS, it also proved itself during yard work, so I think a matching blue Endura is next on the list for a little more reach! Thanks to all for the great advice and opportunity to get one so reasonably.

I have a Delica and it is a nice knife but I like a little bit larger knife in my pocket. The Manix 2 LW, the Endura 4 and the PM2 seem to get the most carry time.

I got my first Delica (in AUS-8) 20 years ago. I still love the Delica, own several of them, and IMO the D4 FFG is the best version of it yet. Personally, I like it in the VG-10 steel over the more 'super-steel' versions. For me, it has the right degree of edge-taking and holding, ease of resharpening, good corrosion resistance, etc. In fact, it's ridiculously easy to touch up/resharpen.

Could there be improvements? Of course. Although it's pretty pocket-friendly to clip on, IMO there could still be a bit more smoothness where the clip contacts material. And I have heard that the clips are soft and can sometimes snap off if snagged. So maybe tougher, more durable clips, and a surface area on the FRN that's even smoother where the clip contacts, but where the clip can still press against strongly enough for retention. The clip on my Native 5 LWT feels tougher/more durable, but the FRN surface it contacts against tears up my pockets, so I can only carry that one down in pocket unclipped.

If someone asks to suggest an EDC knife (single blade), I usually suggest the Delica first. Especially if they are aware a knife is for cutting and not prying, I will suggest the FFG.

Jim

Im on the same page as james y regarding delica blade steel. I prefer the vg10 to the others. for a while i thougnt the vg10 was basic compared with all the new designer steels coming out but after owning many knives with many steels i have really come to prefer vg10 for its ease of maintenance. in my mind, the most important measure of a great edc knife is how inclined one is to carry it. i cchoose my delica in ss because it is practical, easy to use and is very pleasant to carry without becoming an annoyance in the pocket like some larger, thicker, and heavier knives. i choose to carry my ss delica over my frn because it slips i the pocket so easily without fraying the nice pants and shorts and is thinner and takes less pocket real estate. of the knives i have (delica frn, delica ss, native 5, sage 3, 940-1, leek,) the 940 and ss delica get chosen to carry while the others are always left behind. for instance i consider the native 5 to be an awsome knife, but it just doesnt have the ease of carry i desire.

After 2 weeks EDCing the Delica on vacation, I couldn't be happier. I used the knife for everything. It dug splinters, spread cream cheese, cut steak, drift wood, fruit, bait, and everything else! It got sharpened on a coffee mug (thanks to the venerable Jackknife for the tip, it's one of my favorites now) The only problem I had was one of the screws became quite loose, causing the other side to stick far out from the scale. Overall, for every day stuff, at least for my vacation life, the Delica isn't all the knife I want, but is all the knife I need. I highly recommend anyone on the fence (or even if you're not) to pick one up. Everyone always says that here, and now I see why! *edited to add, I have a great picture of the Delica fishing with me, but with PB problems I'll have to figure it out later!*

Back