Sell me on the Phat Bob.

I've recently discovered this thing you people call the "Phat Bob", and I really like the looks of it. It looks very...plain, but beautiful at the same time. Beefy, but ergonomic. Over the past two months, I've had so many different knvies go through my mind of what I want as a new folder EDC, and I've done research on so many I can't even count. From Benchmades, to ZTs', to Spyderco's, and everything in between. I love my Beckers, and I've had a Kabar since I can remember. I stumbled across this Phat Bob and I see that it gets alot of love here. So, guys, sell me on it. Convince me to go ahead and buy one, instead of spending the big cash on a ZT0350 or a Para 2(or something else along those $100+ lines). I'd much rather spend the least amount of money on a good EDC knife.

I noticed that they come in two steels. AUS-8 and D2, correct? I own a blade in AUS-8 and I have no complaints, but I don't own one in D2. Should I try and find one of the limited D2 models or settle for the AUS-8?

Basically, I just want all the information I can get on the knife, and thank you guys ahead of time for the help. I appreciate it. Perhaps after this I can finally make a decision.

the phat bob is a well built, brick house built with smooth green micarta, and one of the nastiest hollow grinds ive seen in person. Its sharp, scary sharp, and stays that way and easily gets back to it when sharpening. even in d2 id imagine it would be easier to sharpen then some other grinds, and would hold its edge forever. I want a d2, you can find em for around a ben franklin. it is one of my favorite knives to date. One very cool, yet somewhat silly, feature that i love, is the loud "THWACK" when you flip it open fast. The only thing i did to mine was file down the very smooth, round thumbstud for a better grip and faster flicks.

You got it, mon ami.

1- Designed by a guy that's been making some great custom knives since 1960.

2- Costs less than a family meal at a moderate sitdown restaurant

3- Cuts like a damn lightsaber

4- Has replaced ALL of my folders, and is my only folding carry now

5- Solid, well built, no frills, yet holds such an austere visage that it draws they eyes to it FIRST

6- Carries like a dream

7- Tank tread lock up, liner lock, and good detent pressure

8- AUS8, a good solid stainless that has been used for a while for good folders

9- Fits well in the hand, without being too thick to pocket

10- Reversable clip, green micarta

Now, the only downside, its made in Taiwan, but I bet you can't tell that from the quality of the build.

Honestly, it has replaced my CS Recon, CS Lawman, Kershaw Skyline, HEST/F (yeah, I know), and my other folders in my daily carry. So far, I have not lamented that decision one bit. I cut triple wall cardboard all day with it, it wasn't shaving sharp, but it was still cutting the trip wall at the end of the day. I haven't found one flaw in the build yet, that would make me think that this knife was made in Taiwan. Lock up is solid, blade is centered, fit and finish are great.

I talked to Bob Dozier a few days ago, and I plan on making a trip out to his shop soon, actually, sooner than I thought I would, should be in October now, me thinks, who knows. Mr. Dozier is a REALLY great guy, and on my second time of ever speaking with him, he invited me up for a fully involved trip to his custom shop, including and I quote,"Fly in, I'll pick ya up, and give ya one of my trucks to drive around, hang out at shop and then head to the Ozarks". I haven't seen one of his custom knives, or one of his designs, that hasn't been a truly effective knife. His knives are made to CUT THINGS. And they do it real well.

For $50 delivered to your door, a solid company backing up the workmanship, and a truly phenomenal design, I would suspect that as soon as word gets out about this knife, alot of pockets will be filled with Phattys.:D

I sing its praises. I carry it daily. It hasn't let me down so far, and for $50, if it does get destroyed for some reason, its not like you dropped $350 on it.

Moose

100_2642.jpg

100_2640.jpg

I've read that the D2 versions are completely different knives. It's not just the steel that is different. But I don't know where to order one.

No wonder they've got you working for them, Moose.(KaBar, right?) You just sold me a knife.

No wonder they've got you working for them, Moose.(KaBar, right?) You just sold me a knife.

I don't actually work for them. I'm just an average guy, with above average knife desires. :D

Alot of what I do here, is because when I was kid, a guy put a Kabar 1217 USMC knife in my hand. That knife had been to Korea and back, and so had the guy giving it to me. I've been smitten with Kabar ever since. When I got the opportunity to mod their forum, to say I jumped on it, is an understatement.

So, I view myself as a Part Time 3rd Party Marketing Consultant. :D I gave myself that title.

Moose

I don't actually work for them. I'm just an average guy, with above average knife desires. :D

Alot of what I do here, is because when I was kid, a guy put a Kabar 1217 USMC knife in my hand. That knife had been to Korea and back, and so had the guy giving it to me. I've been smitten with Kabar ever since. When I got the opportunity to mod their forum, to say I jumped on it, is an understatement.

So, I view myself as a Part Time 3rd Party Marketing Consultant. :D I gave myself that title.

Moose

My bad for the assumption. I just saw the pictures of you with the Kabar and Becker guys. You seem to be so ontop of things when it comes to these companies, so I assumed and hoped you would chime in on this thread. Thanks, man.

On another note, you guys should give Moose a job.

Ample handle, great blade shape, and designed by someone well known for his work in the industry. What else you need? About the only thing other than maybe the weight which is stout for this model, about all anyone could find to fault this knife is where it is made. Doesn't seem to matter to some, while others are put out by certain items being made in China or Taiwan and although not such an issue these days even Japan still causes some people issues where they have to voice their displeasure with this. I find it ironic that this complaint is usually done using a keyboard and computer made in the very same places but that is another story! Point is for the money this is a great deal and a lot of bang for the buck based on my experience.
STR

Gents, PM or email me for the name and number of the shop that has a couple hundred of the limited edition (D2) phat bobs. This shop actually worked with KA-BAR to create the LE.

Now, keep in mind I've been trying to get my order through to the gentleman there for a week now, but I'm sure knife shop owners are like knife makers... meaning that us buyers just gotta be patient :p The one time he answered the phone he was nice as could be.

looks like they made 1000 of them... 400 sold so far by the exclusive holder in about the last year. this much i know...

i just received mine. black micarta, a little dull - not polished or shiney, but very good grip. the D2 looks for all intents and purposes the same as AUS8. we'll see what the performance is. i would suspect that longer edge holding == harder (longer) to sharpen, but you get what you put into it...

i'll try digging for more news :)

I've read that the D2 versions are completely different knives. It's not just the steel that is different. But I don't know where to order one.

other than black non polished micarta, and D2 steel, they are otherwise identical from what i can see. same heft, same thickness (i heard they were thinner, and have repeated that, but retract that now that i've seen both side by side - pictures soon)

looks like they made 1000 of them... 400 sold so far by the exclusive holder in about the last year. this much i know...

i just received mine. black micarta, a little dull - not polished or shiney, but very good grip. the D2 looks for all intents and purposes the same as AUS8. we'll see what the performance is. i would suspect that longer edge holding == harder (longer) to sharpen, but you get what you put into it...

i'll try digging for more news :)

Ha, you fell prey as well. Glad to see you on board bladite! Let me know how that thing performs for you. I used the ever loving hell out of mine the other day; cutting Sheetrock, stripping and cutting small guage wire, breaking down boxes, carving a bit of space in a few 2x4's, and cutting some straws to a more appropriate length for the kiddo's. It handled itself beautifully with the factory edge. I didn't see any nicks in the blade. The gypsum board was the first material cut. I had to significantly enlarge some holes for some new fixtures the wife had me hang. While it knocked the razor edge off, the working edge kept cutting and cutting and cutting...and cutting. Everything after the gypsum fell apart as if that edge was still razor sharp. Before I touched it up that evening, it was still cleanly cutting paper. I hit it about ten passes each side on my crock sticks and it was hair popping sharp again.

I've used it as a spoon a couple times, but I just sharpened it and let's just say after trying to eat rice with it today I won't be putting it near my face again anytime soon.

Back