serations suck

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by flashcan556, Sep 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poriggity

Poriggity

Sep 15, 2018
    My personal solution was this. My EDC knife is not serrated, but if I need serrated, I can use the mini saw on my multi tool to do the job. It's an extra peice to carry but I cant tell you how many times my multi tool has come in handy.

Scott

flashcan556 likes this.
  2. flashcan556

flashcan556

Aug 31, 2019
    i think multitools suck too but thats for a different thread i spose.

3. Poriggity

Poriggity

Sep 15, 2018
    To each their own. I use my multi tool daily, and it's a life saver for me.

flashcan556 likes this.
  4. flashcan556

flashcan556

Aug 31, 2019
    i can totally see that for some, but i have an extensive expensive collection of tools gadgets and knives that itried and found arent for my lifestyle or found better alternatives for in either weight savings, comfort, or benefits terms.

i should really give away a lot of it to people whod use it. my current edc multitool is a biner with a tiny crescent wrench, an even tinier bitdriver, a prybar, and a nail clipper. i keep bits in that pocket. combined with keys ,pen, tiny tape measure and mini box cutter it covers me daily.
    way more comfortable for me to carry and more useful than any single multitool i can find.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    357snubnose likes this.
  5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I see very few people talking about how partially serrated knives are serrated in the wrong place.

ferider and Grateful like this.
  6. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Actually, I did. :)

Mack, danbot and Rykjeklut like this.
  7. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Yes it is and I can tell you that most won't agree. Maybe go start that troll thread in the MT subforum. Should work out great!

And still no pics of that serration removal?

hexenjager and marcinek like this.
  8. Dtuluu

Dtuluu

Aug 22, 2018
    Apart from SAK i think they also do some spirit x line multitools with front serrations and no tip.. some like it..
    I mean cowboy stuff aside, 90% of my actual cutting on an average day is cutting food on a plate.. Having a tool that doesnt go insta-dull doing this is probably not a bad idea..

9. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    There are certain jobs where a properly serrated knife would work a lot better than a saw. Especially things such as cutting rope, netting, etc. Although both saws and serrated blades have teeth, their applications don’t necessarily cross over perfectly.

For example, one of the best rope-cutting knives, IMO, is the David Boye serrated sheepsfoot boat folder. The serrations are gentle and “wavy”, so the cuts are clean, smooth and effortless, with no binding.

Another great rope and net-cutting knife is the serrated Spyderco Tasman Salt. It also works great as a gardening knife.

I wouldn’t try to saw branches with a serrated folder. Saws and serrated knife blades each have their best uses.

Jim

DocJD likes this.
  10. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I only have a couple serrated knives and prefer plain edges but damn does my fully serrated Spyderco Endura cut like a champ. Spyderco definitely knows how to do them right.

I also prefer serrations on steak knives simply for the fact I don't have to sharpen them after every meal. I'm careful when using a plain edge knife on a ceramic plate but not so much for the wife and friends.

ferider, 115Italian and JJHollowman like this.
  11. flashcan556

flashcan556

Aug 31, 2019
    so you cut food with a pocket knife or multitool? sounds less than sanitary

12. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    So, you made a random unsolicited, controversial, inflammory, extranous, and/or digressive comment on an internet forum with the intent of provoking multitool fans, after doing the same to serration fans.

There's a word for that, isn't there?

JJHollowman likes this.
  13. flashcan556

flashcan556

Aug 31, 2019
    inquisitive?

357snubnose likes this.
  14. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Multitools and traditionals are two of the most useful categories of knives.

15. 357snubnose

357snubnose

Jul 1, 2013
    While I do use multitools...I find your presence here to be a breath of fresh air.

Cogam87 and flashcan556 like this.
  16. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    lots of firefighters and risqué personal carry serrated blades, really is the go to tool for these people who risk there lives every day, removing/cutting seatbelts clothes people in danger! also lots of fisherman use knifes that have serrations, but for knife collectors like ourselves its hit or miss I had owned some Spyderco's that had serrations and can tell you they would cut though anything!phonebook paper not so much, but cardboard never had a chance' so thease serrated blades have there place in the world.

357snubnose likes this.
  17. Boru13

Boru13 Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Apr 25, 2000
    Imagine that :rolleyes:

18. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    [​IMG]

19. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    No, I think the answer is that you are a troll. In the least, you won't last very long on your current path.

JJHollowman, hexenjager and marcinek like this.
  20. craytab

craytab

Jan 26, 2012
    Explain why.

Seems to me that if you know what you are doing with a knife and know how to clean up after yourself, using a pocket knife to prep food is more than doable and quite sanitary.

danbot and marcinek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.