Sgian Dubh

I'm getting married next January, wearing my kilt of course, anyone got any ideas about decent Sgian Dubh's? Mine is naff. Custom or otherwise, all suggestions are welcome, I'm only intending to get married once.

pmew

It's good that you had the foresight to look into this so early.

I'm not Scottish so I have no experience with dirks or sgian dubhs, but I have long admired the work of Michael McRae from Scotia Metalwork. His wares are not cheap, custom work being what it is. But having one of his knives tucked in your kilt hose on the big day strikes me as being very cool.

- Christian

I thought I'd left it pretty late to be honest. Stunning work from McRae, quite lovely. I want something I can use about the croft too though.

Thanks Christian, he's on the list....

pmew

You'd be surprised how long people put off something like this. I've read a few threads starting, "I'm getting married next month..."

No rule against using a pretty knife.

- Christian

Good point. The folder in my pocket was pretty once but now its rather beat up. I think it's as good looking as ever though.

pmew

Right, so here we are in July, and here it is.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373568863.553758.jpg
I contacted Will Ferraby who is a Sheffield based maker and put some specifics to him and he came back to me with a very reasonable price. My specs were as follows.

Sgian Dubh in a traditional style and shape.
Must be able to be worn in hose (sock) for the wedding.
Is also going to be used as a working knife so must be full tang.
Convex grind on blade.
Dark wood handle.

Will put it to me that he had some nice ebony he could use and he then floated three different designs, I chose this one...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373569851.877200.jpg
...because the blade shape was most representative of a traditional black knife.
Then work started...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373569493.171827.jpg
...and progressed. Will asked if I had considered liners, he thought blue would look striking against the ebony and so I told him to go ahead. I also let him have free reign with the bolsters and he was unsure whether to use brass, aluminium or iron and I didn't find out which he had picked until he sent this...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373569532.054421.jpg

The final stage was when Will discussed the sheath and we decided on a traditional style for highland dress because if it's not being worn against my calf it'll be in an pocket of my overalls.

Wait for it...

So we have SF100 Sheffield high carbon stainless with a convex grind. Ebony scales with blue vulcanised fibre liners which also line the edges of the bolsters (a nice touch). Brass bolsters and pins along with Will's signature wave along the spine and mirrored on the other side, the spine is rounded too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373570765.327674.jpg
I love the dappled effect the steel has above the bevel line and it came razor sharp as well.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373570787.232921.jpg
I specified the measurements so it fits my hand perfectly. Although sgian dubhs never look it they are pretty comfortable to handle.

Overall I am a very happy customer and recommend his work.

That´s a great knife. I haven´t heard that much about Sgian Dubh´s in general. But at a blade length with 3 1/2 inch it seems to be a good size for EDC and at least for a fixed blade it will be a nicely tool. The wooden box it was stored it looks quite nice, as well as the sheath.

Can the knife be secured somehow in the sheath?

Thanks for sharing this pretty unique but great knife!

That's a fine looking knife, Paul! Congratulations! So six months and counting eh?

That´s a great knife. I haven´t heard that much about Sgian Dubh´s in general. But at a blade length with 3 1/2 inch it seems to be a good size for EDC and at least for a fixed blade it will be a nicely tool. The wooden box it was stored it looks quite nice, as well as the sheath.

Can the knife be secured somehow in the sheath?

Thanks for sharing this pretty unique but great knife!

An absolute pleasure to share it!

The sheath fits the blade perfectly and sits flush against the bolsters. If you held the sheath and waved it about the knife would come out, but it is very tightly fitted. He did a good job. This kind of sheath is the traditional style for highland wear, this one is the best I have seen it done. I'm very pleased.

What a fantastic knife! Congrats on accomplishing this quest with time to spare:thumbup:
It's beautiful!

Congratulations, Paul! Thanks for taking us along on the ride, and sharing the result.

attachment.php

Must be able to be worn in hose (sock) for the wedding.

... Will asked if I had considered liners, he thought blue would look striking against the ebony ....

A discerning cutler, indeed. ;)

pmew said:

What a fine piece! You're right, details like the blue against the bolster and the file work at the spine really bring something extra to the completed knife. Mr. Ferraby brings a fine eye to his craft. :thumbup:

The sheath fits the blade perfectly and sits flush against the bolsters. If you held the sheath and waved it about the knife would come out, but it is very tightly fitted.

What if you're wearing it in your sock, and someone picks you up by the ankles and swings you around? What about then? Oh wait, the kilt. Er, never mind.

pmew said:
I'm very pleased.

I'm really glad to hear it. Thanks again for posting the pictures and your impressions here in the thread where you first inquired.... :)

~ P.

Back