Shame on him for not having a blade!

Cut it with a blade without clamping it and you've got a dead baby. With a shoelace you can tie it off so nobody bleeds to death before you cut it.

Cut it with a blade without clamping it and you've got a dead baby. With a shoelace you can tie it off so nobody bleeds to death before you cut it.
Yeah, this. In fact cutting the cord is less important than clamping it off so that should the baby end up uphill of the placenta, it doesn't simply drain out.

I was thinking you cut the cord and tie both ends in a knot. But I am sure no Dr.

I was thinking you cut the cord and tie both ends in a knot. But I am sure no Dr.
You'd be trying to tie off flesh that was spurting a whole bunch of blood while you did it. The umbilical cord is pretty much a big blood vessel. It's not ideal to leave it connected because you don't want it to catch on things and tear, but much better to leave it connected and be very careful than cut it without ties or clamps.

I actually get the question, "Why do you have that", quite often. Like, why wouldnt you just carry a knife. Even Tac Force knives can cut.

So the moral of the story is that carrying a knife is not enough. You will have to carry paracord or wear shoes with laces, or if you can have only one of them, shoes with laces get the priority.

OP - a failed title of the thread.:thumbsdown:

So the moral of the story is that carrying a knife is not enough. You will have to carry paracord or wear shoes with laces, or if you can have only one of them, shoes with laces get the priority.

OP - a failed title of the thread.:thumbsdown:
No, the moral of the story is England like other European countries don't trust their citizens to carry a blade of any kind. My in-laws side are from Denmark. Good luck if they find a knife on you there.

3 blood vessels, actually...

Even without the spurting blood, it would be tough to knot an umbilical cord. It's thick and rubbery (and initially quite slimy)
Yeah, I cut my daughter's. The nurse said that I could cut the umbilical cord if I wanted too and handed me a pair of scissors.
I was amazed just how tough the cord was to cut. I wish I'd ask if I could keep the scissors.

If I had only thought of using one of my knives...

I think what he did is a gold star on his mancard. Delivering your own kid... that situation must've been super stressful. Gets to tell his buddies his buddies he delivered his own baby too.
SW-EDC SW-EDC is right though, perfect example of why knife laws need to be changed some places, because sometimes, a lot of times actually, you really need to cut something and scissors and utility razors just won't take the place of a solid pocket knife.

Yeah, I cut my daughter's. The nurse said that I could cut the umbilical cord if I wanted too and handed me a pair of scissors.
I was amazed just how tough the cord was to cut. I wish I'd ask if I could keep the scissors.

If I had only thought of using one of my knives...

I cut my daughter's as well, and that's funny that you mention it, because I never really thought of it, but now that I do, I recall it was basically like cutting a heavy rubber bungee cord.

"The 32-year-old father told SWNS that they got a late start to the hospital because he was in the middle of watching the movie "8 Mile" with rapper Eminem, when his partner started having contractions."

I think she just wanted to get out of watching that movie :rolleyes:

Back