Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

These have been shown in an individual AKI thread, however you can ALWAYS refer back to them in here. :)

I had shot (5) of the AKI member's knives leading up to the show for the catalog. Here they are.

You will see these are above and beyond--even for them!

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This one below wasn't shot by me. It was apparently lost at FedEx on a trip to Eric Eggly.
What a loss, and I'm hoping it may have shown up somewhere.
This was a 'crappy cell phone shot' from Barry Lee Hands which I constructed a digital background as a favor just to be able to show it.

orig.jpg

Zack Jonas, JS had a project worthy of showing off. It was a full carving set for a lucky client:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Doing these displays is harder than one might think. An eight inch here, and eighth inch there.... :p

Andre Thorburn and Keith Ouye traded their knives as buddies. Keith sent Andre's knife to me to capture.

orig.jpg

Lastly my work with Ron Best is well-known. I LOVE showing his work and he's taken a markedly fresh direction in the past six months.

BOLD use of color here:
orig.jpg

And I refuse to agree that dramatic images HAVE to be dark and filled with shadows. You be the judge.
orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing so far.

Jim

Titanium, UNobtanium, and synthetic materials = DESIRE. :thumbup:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Now we take a more delicate approach...

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

In case you haven't paid close attention: These next two are considered 'Grail' knives in the Art Knife crowd. Very rare, expensive, and sought after.

Medium:
orig.jpg

LARGE:
orig.jpg

Moar....

A student and knifemaker from Arizona, Eli Jensen is just finishing up his Master's degree. Knifemaking is his side reward. :)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Jonathan McNees is a veteran and a new maker. Boo ya! :D
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

And every once in a while a 'new' maker comes my way, which blows the doors off my Mustang. :eek: :p

Tim Withers, case in point:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Good stuff! Thanks for viewing.

Coop

John: Thanks for breaking the silence. ;) I appreciate it for the makers.

Haha no sweat Coop, I always look forward to you adding photos. My email pings every time you add something.

thanks

more great photos Coop!

I especially like that Moro - just a really interesting shape and beautifully executed

I have to get to the AKI someday - lot of very high end stuff ! They should do the show in the winter so us East Coasters would have additional incentive :D

Bill

I had the opportunity to shoot some more extra-quality pieces last week.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

(Note my usage of the shadow on the closed view.)
orig.jpg

When I had the pair of Steinau's in my studio, I could not help myself and shot them as a set. Enough to make your head explode.... :)

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Coop

orig.jpg

This thing is CRAZY and makes my eyes hurt. I hope your eyes are ok from shooting it.

Must be amazing in person!

Good to see you and looking forward to NYCKS imagery. =)

We worked feverishly at the highly-successful NYCKS before Thanksgiving. I'm all done with the client's work and am finalizing my submission packages.

THANK YOU Fifty Fifty Productions and Steve D'Lack for another opportunity to enhance our world.

To inform this thread, here's a recap which I sent to my clients at the show:

Hi Friends,

Susan and I were privileged to have been given the opportunity to work with you. Your work makes US look good!

I worked especially hard last week getting the work finished. No one is more expeditious. I have sent out proofs AND prints to all our supporters, including you. Everything has been mailed.

I have posted all of the images in a thread on Bladeforums.com, where everyone will get increased exposure and promotional views.

2015 NYCKS - Stronger and stronger!

I have also added them into the SharpByCoop Photography Facebook page.

I maintain the LARGEST pictorial database of Custom makers in the world on my website, and YOUR work is already included in the NYCKS Gallery.

SharpByCoop.Com – 2015 NYCKS Gallery page

I will be sending these images to (4) editors in the USA and also editors in Japan, France, China and Germany.

All of this is testimony that NO ONE gives you more in return for your promotional and photography needs.

Appreciatively,

Jim, Susan & Trevor Cooper

I'll resume studio work in here shortly. Thanks for making this thread so popular!

Coop

Coop

thanks again for keeping this thread going and for helping promote the shows and custom knife making in general :thumbup:

Bill

I have been VERY busy working for my network of clients. Here's a tasty selection of some current images for a prominent client. I like doing these. :)

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I've shown you just about EVERY Ron Best knife produced this year. He sells every one after I send him the images, including this INTEGRAL D-Guard 'sword'. (It is 20" long!)

That is one piece of base metal from the tip to the end of the handle, with cutouts for attractive inlays.

orig.jpg

Rusty Waide from TX created this VERY attractive hunter and sheath. The light blues and tans are replicated on his sheath! (That is Jody Muller's engraving which I didn't mention in the credit line.)

orig.jpg

Coop

Last edited:
Wow Coop that Ron Best piece is just magnificent. A real standout in my eyes.

There is also something unique about the one by Rusty Waide. For some reason I want to call it a "rustic" art knife. I suppose my brain is envisioning it as something a craftsman would make for a well off rancher in the 1800s. Probably just my imagination getting away from me!

On a side note do you apply any filters to your images. Not looking for anything exact or trade secrets, just curious :)

-Clint

Hi Clint,

Like you, I find Rusty's piece very comfortable and appealing. With those colors, I thought it especially nice for a woman also.

I use a polarizing filter only. It can cut down on the glare and reflections and show more color and grain. However, you lose shapes if you don't have highlights so I use it sparingly.

All my backgrounds are real, and those are the colors I choose. When I am post processing (editing) my images, I spend a crazy amount of time blending backgrounds to look somewhat seamless. I'm not working on the knives as much, LOL!

Thanks for enjoying the views.

Coop

always looking forward to updates to this thread! And thankful for every one.

Hi Kam,

Thanks for returning to Bladeforums, and especially for poking your head in here to say hello. I appreciate your admirations, especially as an accomplished photographer yourself. :thumbup:

Stay busy!

Jim

Back