Sharpening a Kensai?

Ok, Im looking into getting an edgepro. I dont think it will do well from what I understand with the 18" kensai blade. For that matter I dont know if it will handle a FBM.

How are you guys who do so sharpening your kenseis?

I haven't sharpened mine yet, but I believe it has a convex edge so I'll be stropping mine when the time comes.

Btw. most (all?) busses come with convex edges. The only exception I know of are the asymmetrical edges, but I don't think they make those anymore.

Ok, Im looking into getting an edgepro. I dont think it will do well from what I understand with the 18" kensai blade. For that matter I dont know if it will handle a FBM.

How are you guys who do so sharpening your kenseis?

I don't see why you couldn't use an edge pro. You just do it in sections. But since it is a sword and many swords come with convex edges, maybe you can ask this question in the sword forum.

Hammy's thread moving service please:)

Free hand with a big Crockstick is How I do it, drawing away, like I am Stropping the edge.

I am almost ready to sharpen my AK. So instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just bump this one.

Has any one sharpened their AKs yet? If so, how? Thanks. :)

RF: Is there a particular belt sander you have in mind?

I was thinking of trying an Edge Pro. Either to reprofile or to add a micro bevel.

No reason why you couldn't use an Edge Pro. As Cobalt stated, simply do it in sections. Although the blade will be a V-edge after you're done with it, in other words you'll lose the convex if it has one. Edge Pro is top notch, Ben did a great job designing and making those little suckers. Can't imagine you would be disappointed with it.

I used the EP on both my NO-E and my Dog Father and it did a superb job. I am not too worried about going to a V-Edge.

RF: Is there a particular belt sander you have in mind?

I was considering this one(grizzly), but I have to save my pennies for a while.
GrizzlyKnifeBeltSander.jpg

I was considering this one(grizzly), but I have to save my pennies for a while.
GrizzlyKnifeBeltSander.jpg

Hot damn! Now that's what I call a setup. I ended up getting the Jet version of the Tormek. Darn thing gets my knives air bleeding sharp and I believe it's a little more forgiving than a belt sander would be....at least for me that is.

Well now I am a little upset with INFI!

I was set to do some sharpening on my AK and decided to clean the coating and edge up a bit. So a little soap and water and some light stroping to clean up the edge and it is hair shaving sharp again.

Jerry, how is a guy going to get good at sharpening if your knives keep such an awesome edge? Sheeeeesh! ;)

I bought a cheap belt sander. It works great on my German chef knives.
There is a learning curve.....I am still afraid to grind on an expensive knife.
I did put my skeleton key on it and brought it back to a new edge!:D

I sharpened my AK just using DMT duofolds and working in sections. It didn't take very long because the edge was already good on this one. I could see how putting a convex edge on without a belt sander might test one's patience. The V edge works excellent on Infi; I'm considering just sticking to V edges from now on.:thumbup:

Back