• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Sharpening service, who's the best?

...I'd go so far as to say that even in the age of a pocket knife being nothing but a simple and cheap tool, for every old timer who always sharpened their own knives, there were 20 who just took their single pocket knife to the hardware or shoe repair store for a quick touch up on the grinding wheel.

In what part of the world?

As a kid (which was a few decades ago) in rural Kentucky I knew more than a few old timers who sharpened knives on their *own* bench grinders, but I never knew anyone who took their knives to someone else to sharpen. Perhaps some did this, but I didn’t even know this was a thing until I saw a placard advertising knife-sharpening services in a knife shop in a mall back in the late 70s.

With that said, I pay somebody to change the oil in my cars; if someone wants to pay to have their knives sharpened, it’s certainly no skin off my nose.

Just learn the skill buddy... buy a couple of stones an a strop.
Mark your edges with a sharpie, just put some time in practising it.
It'll last you a lifetime.
And it makes sense if you're into knives that you can sharpen them.

I have a couple I plan on sending out to Petunia D. Feeble Petunia D. Feeble in the new year... was going to send them sooner, but finances, holidays, etc. has my timeline pushed back a bit.
Will be glad to take care of them. You'e probably better off waiting anyway.

Shipping during the holidays always makes me nervous. My postman is a great, but there's a lot of steps between him and you that may not be quite as reliable when dealing with the increased volume this time of year.

I sharpen professionally now; as an amateur, I sharpened my first blade in 1976 IIRC. So I have at least some experience in making dull edges sharp.

I can, however, beyond any shadow of doubt and without any hesitation or reserve whatsoever, recommend Josh from Razor's Edge wholeheartedly based upon technical expertise, experience, and ethics. If I have a blade that I want sharpened, and I don't wish to do it myself for whatever reason, it goes off to Joshua. I cannot speak highly enough about his services.

There is also a gentleman whose services I have yet to try, but I've heard nothing but good about him, and he sharpens for Ferrum Forge. I don't know if he is a member here, and I don't know therefore if I am permitted to name him publicly. To be safe, I'll suggest that you simply e-mail me: helltownknives@gmail.com and I'll be happy to provide more information.

I hope I'm not overstepping here, but this forum has a history of taking care of its own and that's a reason I'm still a proud, paying member of our community.

RLDubbya RLDubbya recently listed a portion of his knife collection for sale as a method to finance some oncology treatment. Good business and competition aside, I'd be more than happy to miss out on a new customer or two and know that he's able to afford any and all treatment he may need. I just buy more knives like a loser.

I don't have any first hand experience with his work, but if he didn't deliver I'm sure we'd have all heard by now. OP, I'm sure that he can get you squared away.

RLDubbya RLDubbya get well soon my friend. Merry Christmas.

Yea...if your going to buy multihundred dollar knives you should learn to sharpen them.
agreed! and i very much enjoy sharpening ....and josh sounds like they guy to pick lol. but that sharpness shoutout would be cool.

I'm sure eventually i will have edgemaker, but atm i spent the money on the knife and my freehand skills are Ok, with time and patience i can get it cut a standing hair, but rarely do i make it past arm shaving sharp by hand. To get that first prime edge though...i think a pro is my choice before a dropping another 300 :) my cheap stones probably won't even hold up...and my diamonds less than favorable and used up from my d2 kitchen knife.

agreed! and i very much enjoy sharpening ....and josh sounds like they guy to pick lol. but that sharpness shoutout would be cool.

I'm sure eventually i will have edgemaker, but atm i spent the money on the knife and my freehand skills are Ok, with time and patience i can get it cut a standing hair, but rarely do i make it past arm shaving sharp by hand. To get that first prime edge though...i think a pro is my choice before a dropping another 300 :) my cheap stones probably won't even hold up...and my diamonds less than favorable and used up from my d2 kitchen knife.

I'd say absolutely let someone reputable do your sharpening. But, remember, you're have to ship it to whomever each time you need a new edge. It may not bother you, but I cringe when I send a knife off until it gets back.
There's no need to drop 300.00 on a sharpening system to start out with. A Lansky with the diamond stones are around 85.00 or 50.00 for the alumina-oxide stones. A sharpie, a practice blade and patience will be all you need to gain the confidence to tackle the expensive knives. Once you master the Lansky, that's when you'll start looking to upgrade.

I hope I'm not overstepping here, but this forum has a history of taking care of its own and that's a reason I'm still a proud, paying member of our community.

RLDubbya RLDubbya recently listed a portion of his knife collection for sale as a method to finance some oncology treatment. Good business and competition aside, I'd be more than happy to miss out on a new customer or two and know that he's able to afford any and all treatment he may need. I just buy more knives like a loser.

I don't have any first hand experience with his work, but if he didn't deliver I'm sure we'd have all heard by now. OP, I'm sure that he can get you squared away.

RLDubbya RLDubbya get well soon my friend. Merry Christmas.

My apologies for not acknolwedging your good wishes, sir. For whatever reason, the forum did not notify me of the mention. I just happened to stumble across it - and I'm so glad I did. Thank you. This has made my day a bit brighter.

Stay well, my friend.

I'll add to the chorus for Josh, I'd also go to him in a heartbeat for any sort of regrinding services as well, he's done some awesome work.

I can also recommend Mike Emler, who does the sharpening services for Ferrum Forge. He's completely old school, and better still, you'll probably see your knife getting sharpened on one of his frequent hour plus live streams. He's fast and good, with fair prices and a range depending on the type of sharpening you want. gunmonkey1974@gmail.com

Reactions: Mo2
Back