Sharpening system?

I don't want to post this question in the general forum because I want to know specifically what might be best for sharpening Spyderco knives. I want to get into sharpening my own blades. Is the sharpmaker a good place to start? Or Lansky? I am totally new to sharpening but I want to keep my P2 and Delica in keen condition. What do you other Spyderco enthusiasts recommend?

If you have a steady hand, I would go for bench stones. That is what I learned on, and I would happily put my edges against that of a guided system. I wouldn't say they are better, but they are close. I also think you get more enjoyment out of doing it free hand. If you are set on a system, the sharp maker is a good place to start, especially if you have serrations. How much money are you willing to spend is a big question. With systems, you get what you pay for. A good Edge pro or wicked edge would be the smartest move. Good luck, and if you need any tips about free handing in the mean time, PM me

I'm willing to spend like $200ish or so to start, more if I find I enjoy it and can produce a good edge.

I guess you're not familiar with an old Spyderco saying "first we made things sharp then we made sharp things".

I guess you're not familiar with an old Spyderco saying "first we made things sharp then we made sharp things".

Yeah I just went ahead and got the sharpmaker. Gonna give it a try. I've already quickly learned that I can't go wrong with Spyderco so why not try their sharpener?

Good choice I think you'll like it. Watch the DVD through a few times and try it out on some old knives to get the feel for it and you should be good to go.

I'd suggest getting the diamond hones as an accessory. It makes life a lot easier if you have any especially dull knives or your knife edge is not at the same angle as the Sharpmaker.

I'd suggest getting the diamond hones as an accessory. It makes life a lot easier if you have any especially dull knives or your knife edge is not at the same angle as the Sharpmaker.

Thanks for the advice. Others as well. I love this sub forum the most.

I just got my Sharpmaker last night. I started with a GATCO guided rod system. The Sharpmaker is doing a better job for sure. The GATCO system with its coarse diamond stone will still have a place for initial re-profiling if needed, but I much prefer the Sharpmaker. The reason I like it better (besides my knives being sharper), is you don't have to clamp your knife up, tape it off to avoid scratches and use oil and all that fuss. What I found I was doing was letting my knives get dull enough to need more than a touch up, and then not wanting to mess with them. Now, I plan on just maintaining that hair popping edge.

sharpmaker is great , I used mine for about 2 years and moved up to the edge pro, but I find myself missing my sharpmaker, something about just throwing in those Ultra fine rods, and maybe 20 -30 strokes and you have a hair whittling edge, It's great I may haft to buy me another one just because it's so quick and easy to set up, I'll use my edge pro to put my own edge on it , and believe I'll buy another sharpmaker to maintain them. I also recommend a good strop Theres a MAN Who makes STROPS that are about the best I've used and they are great quality...

I made a strop, but seem to dull my knives when I try using it. :rolleyes:

Strops can be tricky and it isn't the first time I've heard this. Gotta keep that knife flat as possible and never pull it off the strop blade edge last. It's a fine line between razor honed and dull.

I tried free handing one some diamond stones I have. Never had any good luck with consistency. Oh, with a lot of time and patience I could work a utility edge onto most knives... but it was a PITA process. Got the Sharpmaker and it's been smooth sailing since. Can bet hair popping sharp S30V (which some say isn't particularly easy to sharpen) with minimal effort (compared to my old free-hand follies).

I will probably move up to an Edge Pro or Wicked Edge eventually.

Another vote for the sharpmaker with the addition of Diamond and Ultra Fine rods. The Diamond rods can make re-profiling a much easier and faster task and the Ultra-fines will put a near mirror finish on your edge.

Flat stones for major work, sharpmaker for most work and paper wheels for honing to over the top sharpness.

Strops can be tricky and it isn't the first time I've heard this. Gotta keep that knife flat as possible and never pull it off the strop blade edge last. It's a fine line between razor honed and dull.

Do you mean roll it on the spine without taking it off. I can't think of any other way to accomplish the above.

Back