Sharpest Blades Right Out of the Box?

I pulled a trusted Kershaw out of the shadows and started using it again today, and it reminded me of just how very SHARP that sucker is -- and always has been. In fact, Kershaw blades seem to consistently be the sharpest out-of-the-box knives I've owned in recent years. So, here's what I'm wondering:

1. Are there others out there that are always so crazy-sharp, too?

2. What does Kershaw do differently? Is their grind angle different than others?

With every brand it is hit or miss, and dependent on what an individual considers sharp.

In my experience, Kershaw, and Spyderco average the sharpest out of box with some clunkers mixed in of course. Meanwhile I've never received a very sharp Benchmade, Queen, or GEC.

The difference is probably just the experience/time taken by the person running the grinder. They're all done by hand after all.

I'd add that thinner blade traditionals are probably a pain to sharpen since they'll heat up pretty quickly and burn up the edge a bit. Thats just a guess though.

You can find solitary examples of any brand razor sharp but I've always found spyderco and kershaw to be consistently the sharpest, and I'd give the edge to spyderco (no pun intended).

Mike

From my experience Chris Reeve is up there.

Fallkniven is also not bad at all, but CRK beats them.

Mixed bag, I've had butter knife dull Kershaws and crazy sharp examples like the Lahar. Cold Steel does a good job of delivering a sharp knife, Spyderco too. Buck is usually really sharp, Case not so much.

Sharpest I've ever had is southern Grind bad monkey. Opinels are also very sharp, but very thin blades cut like crazy to start.

I guess I don't get the obsession with out of box sharpness. If it comes out of the box sharp, it won't stay that way. I'm going to dull it. If it isn't sharp out of box I will sharpen it, just like if it was sharp and I dulled it.

I wouldn't say that it matters any more than who makes the best boxes (Definitely Lionsteel with the first SR1s).

I'll second Hogue.
Got an EX-04 recently and that thing was seriously SHAAARP!!
All my Spydies came sharp also.

As many said, Cold Steel and Spyderco for me. Most of them came scary sharp.
My two sharpest out of the box blades, of many hundreds, were from these two brands. They were

this...

20150901_151445_zpsgm0udtul.jpg

and this one...

20150830_162435_zpsc1gvt4mj.jpg

I wouldn't say that it matters any more than who makes the best boxes (Definitely Lionsteel with the first SR1s).

Very true. Well, I don't know about the specific box you mention though. More of a general "very true".

As many said, Cold Steel and Spyderco for me. Most of them came scary sharp.
My two sharpest out of the box blades, of many hundreds, were from these two brands. They were

this...

20150901_151445_zpsgm0udtul.jpg

Now that is a hell of a picture!

I guess I don't get the obsession with out of box sharpness. If it comes out of the box sharp, it won't stay that way. I'm going to dull it. If it isn't sharp out of box I will sharpen it, just like if it was sharp and I dulled it.

Even bevels are far more important to me than apex sharpness. That being said, I appreciate the latter because it's just another F&F issue that I like to see. If you make a knife, make it sharp.

Regarding the original question, Spydercos have had the best OOTB edges IMO. Which steels they were hasn't really made a difference.

I guess I don't get the obsession with out of box sharpness.
Not an obsession, just one of those things that make you go "huh." Since I'm not experienced enough to be able to accurately measure the bevel of a brand new edge, I was just wondering if there was a reliable reason for some brands being better than others. You have to admit, though, that you'd be pretty upset and question the quality control of a company willing to sell you an expensive -- and totally blunt -- blade.

It's been awhile since I've bought a new Kershaw, but I seem to recall that -- relying on the "Sharpie method" -- their new bevels seemed to be considerably more acute than others.

I second Kershaw, everyone I've purchased came sharp out the box. CS has been great too, and not that I've owned a whole ton of 'em, but the several U.S. Buck Knives I've purchased over the years have always been impressively sharp (even if it was a cheaper model with not the best grind lines, they were still sharp).

Not an obsession, just one of those things that make you go "huh." Since I'm not experienced enough to be able to accurately measure the bevel of a brand new edge, I was just wondering if there was a reliable reason for some brands being better than others. You have to admit, though, that you'd be pretty upset and question the quality control of a company willing to sell you an expensive -- and totally blunt -- blade.

It's been awhile since I've bought a new Kershaw, but I seem to recall that -- relying on the "Sharpie method" -- their new bevels seemed to be considerably more acute than others.

Not referring to you specifically about the obsession OP but rather to the amount of threads we see started on this very subject. This comes up often. I can't measure bevel angles either :thumbup:

What I do know is that if you are in this hobby and you use knives you must learn to sharpen. I actually love sharpening. It is very therapeutic to me. I mostly use an inexpensive ceramic rod. Just touch ups really. I sharpen often.

BTW, the most disappointment I have had with sharpness out of box was from Kershaw. It was a brand spanking new 0560. Not an inexpensive knife for me at the time. I got over it quickly and sharpened it, and have done so many more times since. That was the only Kershaw I was not happy with the sharpens out of box, but it was a kershaw none the less. In general Kershaw, SOG, Spyderco, Benchmade and many others are great out of box. One brand that consistently sucks river rocks with out of box sharpness for me is CRKT. For their sake I hope they have changed that but I wouldn't know, I've stayed away from most of their stuff for a while now.

You have to admit, though, that you'd be pretty upset and question the quality control of a company willing to sell you an expensive -- and totally blunt -- blade.

My ZT 0550 came pretty dull, it really didn't bother me though. Many of us sharpen or touchup our knives right out of the box anyway.

Back