Sharpmaker rods maintenance?

kingston73

Gold Member
I have the spyderco sharpmaker and both white and brown rods are getting blackened. I’m assuming that’s the steel getting embedded into them and was wondering a couple things. How long do they last before needing replacement and what should I be doing to maintain them?

I scrub mine under running water with an SOS pad. Had them for more than a decade, and aside from a small chip on one of the fine stones they’re as good as new.

So long as you are not using them for major reprofiling of high vanadium steel they should last a very long time without dishing out. If they are getting clogged, you can do a deep clean with common cleaners like Barkeeper's friend and water. In between major cleanings (which should only be every few months with regular use) you can use a common pencil eraser to take off the surface metal shavings and prolong the time in between deep cleans.

use some household cleaning/scraping stuff like cif (Pic below) and use a sponge to scrub the metal off.
same as Lee D, I have a small chip, from mishandling the fine rod and have had them for 10+ years.

cif_1.jpg

my stones at the moment (after a very recent cleaning)

2021-02-08-sharpmaker-jig-width-jpg.1505657

Last edited:
I've used Barkeepers friend or other similar type of powder cleaner. I've also tried pencil erasers and ceramic erasers. The fastest/easiest method I found so far, is the "Mr.Clean" magic erasers you can find at any grocery store for around $5. Put a drop or 2 of water on it and scrub away. They are are and clean within seconds and there is no follow up mess to deal with.

Once you get them clean with BKF, powdered cleansers, dish soaps, Magic Eraser, etc, it's easy to maintain them in good shape as you go - essentially indefinitely.

After the heavy cleaning and in subsequent use after the fact, use a pink pencil eraser to wipe them down periodically as you work. If you minimize how much swarf is building up in the first place, they'll never get a chance to become heavily clogged again. It's much easier to keep them clean over the long term, this way.

When I use my SM, I'll wipe down the rods with the pink eraser after every 10-20 passes or so, and immediately before I put them away each time.

Once you get them clean with BKF, powdered cleansers, dish soaps, Magic Eraser, etc, it's easy to maintain them in good shape as you go - essentially indefinitely.

When I use my SM, I'll wipe down the rods with the pink eraser after every 10-20 passes or so, and immediately before I put them away each time.

I clean mine every 2-3 touch ups. You can start to feel the knife glide over the stones vs "cut" You can also hear the difference.

Never tried the Mr Clean. If it works that is ideal over scrubbing with cleanser.
The powdered cleaners clean better, but are a mess to deal with. I find for my needs, I'll use the Mr. Clean but if they get really clogged, I'll use the powder once or twice a year for a deep clean. Of course, your mileage will vary.

I use barkeepers friend and a scotch brite pad. Works great. I don't use my sharpmaker much anymore, but it works the same for my spyderco bench stones.

I've had my Sharpmaker for three years now and have always cleaned it with Barkeepers friend powder cleanser and an old tooth brush and cleans them great.

I use Eberhard Faber pink erasers, rubbing off the black stuff over small trash bin. I used to use Scotchbrite and cleanser, but disliked the hassle of washing and drying. Its probably a good idea to occasionally Scotchbrite/cleanser the rods, but I've never had to since.
91uMXntO2ML._AC_UL320_.jpg

I usually use Soft Scrub which works well.

You can really feel the difference in using the stones when they are clean vs. dirty.

I only use my sharpmaker on a few of my knives for touch up but when I do I just use an eraser or I`ll use a mild soap/water with an old tooth brush, wipe em dry and done.

It literally boggles the mind how this topic has such staying power after all these years.

I suspect the nefarious tactics of foreign agents in our midst.

(That's a joke folks, no offense intended toward our non-domestically raised kinfolk. Please don't report me to AOC.)

It literally boggles the mind how this topic has such staying power after all these years.

(That's a joke folks, no offense intended toward our non-domestically raised kinfolk. Please don't report me to AOC.)

Lol.

Nah... :)

Lansky Eraser Blocks work great for cleaning ceramics, and it should work well on the Sharpmaker's sticks.

A normal eraser can work okay too, but it's not really designed for that.

You can start to feel the knife glide over the stones vs "cut" You can also hear the difference.
:thumbsup: you can get the feel of a stone doing it's work, and hear it doing it's work. You are correct, the bevel will feel like it is starting to glide.

There was a post earlier this year from someone who had cleaned up his Fathers old ceramic rods which apparently had never been cleaned. I think it involved soaking them in a solution in a zip lock bag, was very good method for really ingrained metal. I wrote it down but have lossed it. If he is reading this maybe he could repeat the method. :thumbsup: :)

Back