Shaved Ice and Shipping it 2000mi

Ok, I am fairly sure this isn't a Gadget's and Gear subject as it deals with shipping, but it might turn into one.

My problem: I need to get some shaved ice from a particular store in Hawaii shipped to Phoenix, Arizona. My question is what is the best way to go about this, insuring that the ice will not melt. One day shipping is not a problem, it is the packaging that I need help with.

Oh, and the whole reason I am needing to do this is that it is an anniversary gift for my girlfriend, who believes that this particular shaved ice is the best shaved ice and/or icy treat in the world.

Use a shipping approved styrofoam container packaged with dry ice. Contact the carrier you are going to use regarding what needs to be done beforehand and get some pointers from them.

I'm curious. What sorta ice is this that's so special? Does it have flavours in it or is it just ice..shaved?

We Americans are a strange lot. We have the safest tap water in the world and yet we import little bottles of water from France and Italy.

Ice from Hawaii? Why not?

Yes, we Americans are a very strange lot and the fact that we have money only allows us to indulge our strangeness. While elsewhere in the world, people are starving to death, Mr. Ethelred will pay to ship ice from Hawaii to Phoenix. And you wonder why the rest of the world thinks as they do of us.

I'm pretty sure you can't, won't the syrup freeze if you pack it with dry ice?

What you need to do is buy some syrups from Manolo(I think is the brand name), Baldwins or some other local brands, and find a good ice shaving machine.

The machine we have has been in my family forever. My mom makes most of the syrups, and we usually make shave ice once a year at a family camp.

Machines from Japan are supposed to be good (ours is Japanese made), as well as their syrups.

Point44 said:
I'm curious. What sorta ice is this that's so special? Does it have flavours in it or is it just ice..shaved?

It has special properties, almost like magic. It's hard to describe, it can't be too course, or it will have a grainy feeling in you mouth (like crushed ice); if it's to fine, then it will melt together and will pack together really hard, and becomes almost like a hunk of ice. Yes there is flavors. I would definately look into Baldwins, they have pretty good syrups and I'm pretty sure they ship to the mainland.

Oh, another thing about the machine:

My grandma, has a thing that looks like a woodworking plane, but it's for ice, I remember it being pretty good, although that was a while ago.

So basically it is just shaved ice. With a special syrup. And you're willing to go through all this trouble for that?

Don't they sell the syrup separately? Then you can shave your own ice.

We malaysians also have a dessert called 'air batu campur/ABC' which translates into air batu (ice) campur (mix). So ice mix. Put a mixture of stuff at the bottom of the bowl like red beans, jelly, sweetcorn etc. Then top it off with the shaved ice. Drip some syrup on top and drip evaporated milk and maybe some coconut milk.

How do Americans take their shaved ice?

Edited to add:

Underaged.

My family still uses the old manual machine. I think it's solid steel and you have to turn a wheel that turns the ice block and shaves the ice. The blade is adjustable so the texture of the ice can be adjusted to suit taste.

There is also the wooden plane ones but not many people use it nowadays other than the old timer vendors.

It's romantic!

A brief background to my endevour...

Girlfriend has a very dear friend presently living in Hawaii...she recently went to visit said friend and while on this trip had some shaved ice, Matsumoto's Shaved Ice in Halaiwa, Hawaii (http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com)...Not only does this ice remind her of her dearest of friends but she thinks of this ice as the best dessert ever.

I hear girls like this sort of thing anyways...men going way out of there way to make them happy, yes?

I like the style known as "Italian Ice" which is a finely shaved ice with lemon juice (sweetened) and little bits of lemon rind - very refreshing on a hot summer evening.

Hey...ethelred...

The machine that matsumoto uses is almost exactly like my dad's ice shaving machine. 'Cept his is green in colour. It's so retro. But maybe theirs has a motor attached to it to make it easier for bigger orders.

If i were you i'd just track down the machine and make your own shaved ice. To the exact matsumoto specification. Then she can have shaved ice whenever she wants.

Point44 said:
Hey...ethelred...
If i were you i'd just track down the machine and make your own shaved ice. To the exact matsumoto specification. Then she can have shaved ice whenever she wants.

Hmm, you wouldn't happen to have the manufacturer's name?

And I guess that Matsumoto puts ice cream or something in it their creations as well...

Edited to add: And the machine they use I guess (I am told by a friend living in Hawaii) is special as it gets the ice super fine, and the flavour recipes they use are secret (and that is basically the whole reason as to why I would need to get their shaved ice specifically).

I didn't realise the machines were quite expensive but it's only a few hundred bucks for the manual cast iron version like the one my dad has so i don't know whether it's in your budget.

Hawaiian Ice Shaver

I always thought it's a great machine for functions and BBQ's. In my family what we do is leave the ice shaving machine surrounded by a table full of whatever stuff you want to put on it. Then everyone shaves their own ice and puts in their own ingredients.

I think I found mine. Hatsuyuki too, Model HA-110-S

Damn, I need to go there, I haven't been there for a long time, and I don't remember what it was like. Then I could see, how it compares to manolo or Baldwins. (manolo is ok, and Baldwin's is pretty good)

Klesk..... COME PICK ME UP! We go beach!

Yes, we Americans are a very strange lot and the fact that we have money only allows us to indulge our strangeness. While elsewhere in the world, people are starving to death, Mr. Ethelred will pay to ship ice from Hawaii to Phoenix. And you wonder why the rest of the world thinks as they do of us.

Next thing you know the crazy kid will pay hundreds of dollars for a "knife". Crazy desert heat gettin' to his cranial nucleus. :cool:

I don't wonder why the rest of the world thinks as they do of us. And I don't care, either. We've got people from all around the world right here. I care more for their opinions than I do for those of the faceless masses moaning and groaning about the big bad Americans.

Point44 manages to make his own ice, why can't the rest of them? :D

I wouldn't know about shipping it, but I'd guess that the dry ice is really your only chance.

Matsumoto's is pretty much the most famous shave ice place on Oahu (possibly in the state). I haven't been there in years, but it is good stuff. Aoki's is a few doors down and they're pretty good too. I expect that they'll be pretty crowded tomorrow since the forecast is showing 40ft+ waves for the North Shore.

Generally the shave ice makers down here have motors running the machines and there's the usual extras of ice cream, azuki beans and li hing powder that you can add to them.

Great...now I'm craving shave ice...

Ughh, Li hing powder is nasty. You got to get the whole seed, that has been sitting in syrup for a while. Just like mommie makes.

I know what you mean, I was thinking about cleaning my machine and getting down to buiseness, went Pealz though.

Just get some styrophoam box, fill it up with dry ice and the cup, and send it overnight shipping. Listen guys it's not really about the cup of ice, ok? The guy just wants to do her a favor, even if it's melted away or stonecold she will still think it's the most romantic thing anyone did for her. don't u get it? Even if she loved saucaces from Bratislava he will try to get her some. lets be supportive and try to help him. I could send some Belgium Chocolate? :D

Back