Shaved Ice and Shipping it 2000mi

If you use dry ice, make sure the packaging isn't airtight! Dry ice is compressed CO2 and it needs room to expand as it sublimates from a solid to a gas. You don't want your girl wearing the ice when she opens the package!

Oh, I can't be to critical in all of this since I occationally have pizza delivered to my house.

One might initially not think that to eccentric or extravagant until you realize that I live in Sherwood, Oregon and my favorite pizzaria is in Chicago. That's about a 1500 mile pizza delivery. FedEx handles it... dry ice and a styrofoam container. It's never failed. My guess is that the shaved ice can go the same way.

Gollnick said:
Oh, I can't be to critical in all of this since I occationally have pizza delivered to my house.

One might initially not think that to eccentric or extravagant until you realize that I live in Sherwood, Oregon and my favorite pizzaria is in Chicago. That's about a 1500 mile pizza delivery. FedEx handles it... dry ice and a styrofoam container. It's never failed. My guess is that the shaved ice can go the same way.

Gollnick,

That wouldn't happen to be Gino's pizza would it?

They put essentially a huge sausage patty as the first layer on the crust. It is one heckuva pie.

Ethelred said:
...It's romantic! I hear girls like this sort of thing anyways...men going way out of there way to make them happy, yes?

Go for it! :cool: I'd say you are well on your way to understanding women. But be advised - it's a never-ending journey. ;)

When my wife gave birth to our first child, I had two pounds of her favorite black licorice jelly beans flown from a little candy store in Miami, Florida to our home in Toronto, Ontario. They were more appreciated than jewelry!

Gollnick said:

Sounds like Lou Malnati's to me. God I miss that stuff. Best damn pizza in the world (although Gino's is damn good too). Actually, believe it or not, I had some on Sunday. My dad had a layover in Chicago a while back, met up with his dad (we're from IL), and brought back a few pizzas with him. The frozen one's don't hold a candle to the fresh ones, but they still beat 99% of the stuff 'round here.

It is like a piece of home. The pizza isn't just good pizza, it's memories. Every time we went into the city for a Cubs game, or to go to museums or whatever, it was manditory that we'd stop at a Lou Malnati's. If I had a girlfriend and she got their pizza for me, I'd propose on the spot.

Rick in KY said:
Gollnick,

That wouldn't happen to be Gino's pizza would it?

But of course!

Gino's East, the original downtown location, not the new one up North. :D

Hmmm... now y'all have got me thinking about pizza for dinner tomorrow night.

Didn't know Gino's did the FedEx thing too. They stole it from Lou. ;)

Don't you think the ice will have compacted when it arrives?

Can't you just buy 2 return tickets to Hawaii. Or is that just too expensive?That way you get something out of it as well. It is an Anniversary you know...not a birthday.

Hope everything works out.

I didn't know you could be famous just making shaved ice. How cool is that. I think icy desserts are the best. Right now the closest i get is when i go to the movies and have a bubblegum/rasberry Tango Iceblast. They're the only reason i actually go to see crap movies. Just so i can have my ice blast.

Gollnick.

I think a lot of men are like that. When we find something we like. It's really hard to change. For me right now it's my barber. I've tried a few barbers here in Stoke but they suck. So i still go to the one in London which is 3 hours away.

My father complains everytime he eats pizza nowadays. He says that that nothing compares to the Godfather pizza that he ate years ago. I've never even heard of Godfather pizza.

I'm afraid that the dry ice will interact with the shaved ice and freeze it all into a solid mass. I'd recommend finding a different romatic idea.

John

Point44 said:
My father complains everytime he eats pizza nowadays. He says that that nothing compares to the Godfather pizza that he ate years ago. I've never even heard of Godfather pizza.
There used to be a Godfather's Pizza down here a looooong time ago that I used to like, but it was your normal pizza chain--nothing spectacular about it.

I'm afraid that the dry ice will interact with the shaved ice and freeze it all into a solid mass.

Yeah, now that I think about it, that's a major risk. Dry ice is seriously cold and a dry-ice-packed box has no temperature control. Shaved ice is nice because there's actually water on the surface which is why is stays sort of "slushy" and why it's different than eating ice cubes. But, I think Mr. Jmxcpter is probably right. The dry ice will be so cold that the water on the surface of the ice shavings will freeze together and what you'll have is one lump.

There used to be a Godfather's Pizza down here a looooong time ago that I used to like, but it was your normal pizza chain--nothing spectacular about it.

Exactly. Godfather's is fine, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

In malaysia all we have is Pizza Hut, Shakey's Pizza and Domino's. None that really appeals to me. I've recently been spoilt when i went to Rome and had real italian pizza. I have no idea why the pizza restaurants here can't get the same taste.

I'm guessing my dad has some nostalgic thing about godfather.

So...any updates on the shaved ice mate???

Ah, you guys should have seen Momilani Elementary around 1:00 today, there was a class of kids playing in snow in the parking lot. Well I guess they had a machine. :D But, snow in Hawaii!

Sorry, I haven't been online in about a day...Had finals and have been working.

I have arranged it all with a friend of my girlfriend who is living in Hawaii, she's going to buy the shaved ice package it (I figure I will probably have a lot of it sent here, as much as will fit) and ship it overnight FedEx.

I was actually think about that...The dry ice might make it too cold, I am looking to put it in a layed sort of package...I have a few weeks to look for solutions, it will only be in the dry ice for ~20 hours...that is something to think about.

Loki88: The chocolate is a thought...And she loves all that is chocolate.

When I did a similar thing for The Bad Guy who needed some California Burritos, the dry ice froze them solid as bricks in just a few hours before I even got them shipped. That stuff REALLY freezes things fast. But if you're bound and determined to get a big rock of ice shipped to you, what the heck. I think it ended up costing Jason around $75.00 for four frozen burritos and I did everything for him for exactly what it cost me. He hasn't asked for a second order yet:)

John

Ethelred said:
Sorry, I haven't been online in about a day...Had finals and have been working.

I have arranged it all with a friend of my girlfriend who is living in Hawaii, she's going to buy the shaved ice package it (I figure I will probably have a lot of it sent here, as much as will fit) and ship it overnight FedEx.

I was actually think about that...The dry ice might make it too cold, I am looking to put it in a layed sort of package...I have a few weeks to look for solutions, it will only be in the dry ice for ~20 hours...that is something to think about.

Loki88: The chocolate is a thought...And she loves all that is chocolate.

If your girlfriend's friend can't find dry ice, the answer is Gaspro.

The dry ice might not freeze it into a big lump. After all, it is already frozen. It would take the addition of more moisture (maybe atmospheric humidity) or a melt-refreeze to turn it into an ice cube. Maybe letting it "thaw" a little in the refrigerator before serving might help it out. Is there enough time to conduct an experiment by packing it in dry ice for a day and then seeing what it looks like before doing the actual shipping?

Gollnick said:
We have the safest tap water in the world and yet we import little bottles of water from France and Italy.

Finland and Canada have the cleanest tap water in the world.

Back