Sheffield’s Old Factories & Workshops (Pic Heavy)

Thank you for the tour, Jack. Hauntingly beautiful.

Barrett

No, you did not misunderstand. I agree with your thought that, given the alternative, repurposing is better. I guess I was getting a little nostalgic for the old factory centers, and so, got a little carried away. You must admit though that sometimes what starts out as a decent reuse, ends up as a joke of a shell.

I perfectly understand, Alan. I agree that having those industries back in those buildings would be wonderful (I mean, with regards to the cutlery industry, who here wouldn't love to have access to the volume and variety of traditional cutlery that was being produced in those buildings a century ago), but since that seems highly unlikely, I think repurposing is the best outcome (at least when I comes to appreciation and preservation of the architecture)..

Wow, lots of history there. It's so sad to see that proud history now decaying. It would have been something to see things at their heyday.

Wow. Yes, thank you Jack. Pictures help preserve the history and sharing makes it available for the rest of us.

Awesome Jack. Just an amazing Journey- sigh.... takes me back my friend. Hey... astonishingly no Gargoyles - what I really love about some old buildings are the window architecture etc for example the beautiful Pointer dog with STANCH underneath.

I just love Gargoyles- and it just dawned on me that there were none - yet the era most definitely :confused:

Thank you Jack once again.

Thanks for the kind words folks :thumbup:

Disappointingly, the 're-purposing' of some of these factories for up-scale apartments has actually meant retaining a few of the prettier features, and demolishing the rest. The work on the old Tyzack 'Green Lane Works, for example, has retained the historic entrance, some of the exterior wall, and one of the old building, while demolishing the rest of the huge site, and surmounting the exterior wall with some very incongruous modern architecture. Some of the earlier projects were even more destructive. I have not yet photographed Portland Works (once home to Jack Black Knives ;)), but this seems to have fared better: http://www.portlandworks.co.uk/about/

Awesome Jack. Just an amazing Journey- sigh.... takes me back my friend. Hey... astonishingly no Gargoyles - what I really love about some old buildings are the window architecture etc for example the beautiful Pointer dog with STANCH underneath.

I just love Gargoyles- and it just dawned on me that there were none - yet the era most definitely :confused:

Thank you Jack once again.

You are always with me when I walk those streets Duncan :) I'll look out for some gargoyles for you ;) In the meantime, here's a pic of a frieze from the Cutler's Hall :thumbup:

freize-part4.jpg

Stanch the pointer adorns the front of the Bailey Lane Works of J & Riley Carr, who made files, saws. and machine-knives. He was the firm's trademark, as well as a family pet.

Jack, have you considered publishing or donating your photographic work and reflections on the Sheffield trade? It may be worth your while, as you are in a position to save a lot of what may soon be lost to time. Something to ponder.

Jack, have you considered publishing or donating your photographic work and reflections on the Sheffield trade? It may be worth your while, as you are in a position to save a lot of what may soon be lost to time. Something to ponder.

Considering I've been writing professionally since 1991, strangely not! :eek:

The good Professor Geoff has done an excellent job of preserving Sheffield's cutlery history though :)

I'm going to keep taking pics as and when I can, and adding them to this thread, so look out for it popping up from time to time :) :thumbup:

Perhaps it is best not to make the hobby into a work task, but there should be a way to save what you are doing here. At this point in time, is nearly an historical duty! I look forward to seeing further documentation of the City's cutlery past. Ironically for me, you started this thread on my birth date, making my appreciation for this tribute to the endurance of old things a bit more personal.:):thumbup:

Perhaps it is best not to make the hobby into a work task, but there should be a way to save what you are doing here. At this point in time, is nearly an historical duty! I look forward to seeing further documentation of the City's cutlery past. Ironically for me, you started this thread on my birth date, making my appreciation for this tribute to the endurance of old things a bit more personal.:):thumbup:

Well, I'm open to any publishing offers! :D A belated Happy Birthday my friend :) I have another one coming up soon. I'm not sure who is crumbling faster, me or those old factories! :eek: :D :thumbup:

Jack A great tour. Wow. Many thanks. As a token of appreciation, the next drinks [and beans] are on me mate. No no .. I insist !

Well, I'm open to any publishing offers! :D A belated Happy Birthday my friend :) I have another one coming up soon. I'm not sure who is crumbling faster, me or those old factories! :eek: :D :thumbup:

Thanks kindly on the Happy Birthday, it was a good one!

Great pictorial JB
Thank you. Trout and Salmon you say? What nek? Otters.

There was a humorous mention of canal fishing in ted dwarf -all they hoped to catch were discarded used prophylactics. OK it was funnier than it sounds.
Amazing how a river can recover after so many years of i creasing abuse followed by neglect.

Back